1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best molded ear plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have some I purchased from earplugs.com, I bought them for my shop, I think I paid somewhere around $275 for 3 dozen sets.

these you mix the two containers together and mold them yourself.

they are a hot item for all my friends, they hand them out as gifts.

tony

edit: earplugs.com is not the site......I'll have to check tomorrow and post it.

2. ralanger

ralanger Member

I got mine through work they are made by a company named Cavcom. They are acrylic and they use a pretty interesting process to make them. They take a mold of your ears, then scan that into there computers and it goes onto a CAD program so they can smooth every thing out and make adjustment, then they use a rapid prototyping machine to produce them. Once you get into their system they keep it there forever so if you need adjustments or want another pair you don't have to get fitted again. They were very easy to deal with and there turn around time was good, the only down side is you have to go to them and get fitted the first time.

3. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

The thing is that your ears grow all your life, after about 3 years the plugs no longer fit properly. I make the Insta-Mold product line, when properly made they are an excellent sourse of protection, better than any other form because of sound suppression, comfort and hearing range. The material is frequency sensitive and at the voice range from 50 to 500 cycles (Approx) offer about 20 DB of suppression so most folks that haven't already lost hearing can carry on a conversation with them in. Above that the suppression rapidly climbs to 50 of more reducing the volume of sound below the threshold of pain/damage at the higher frequencies where the damage is done.
    I'm not trying to sell you anything, unless you can send me your ears, since molded earplugs are made in the ear. You can spend a lot on plugs at Dr. offices or Audiology stores and in 3 years you will need to do it again. At most major shoots there are people making the plugs for anywhere from $40.00 to $60.00 depending on what the traffic will bear. The sporting clays guys shell out the most usually. You can contact EAR Inc. for a dealer in your area.
    A good maker can usually make a good set of plugs without injecting the putty into the ear canal, but a bad one can't, have them use the injector and tell them to keep it small in the outer ear. The plugs you see with a big glob on the outside dent to come out of the ear and leak sound. And ask them if they guarantee there work, I do, ever body can screw up. If while they are making them you sit quietly, not moving your jaw, the results will be much more likely to make you happy.
    Good luck and don't get suckered into the expensive electronics or fancy plugs if all you want is protection.
    Jim Cunningham

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

go to northernsaftety.com---look up earplugs---Peltor -Next--"skull Screws" they are the best out there

5. Doc O Glock

Doc O Glock TS Member

I'm going to my ENT Doc in the next few weeks and he says his audiologyst will make me a pair. I'll report.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

earplugsthatfit.com

this is the site, I was talking about in the post above.

they work great....and you don't have alot of money invested.

if you want I can sell a couple of pair.

if the site dosen't work here is the contact info:

EarPlugsThatFit
    P.O. Box 383396
    Germantown, TN. 38138
    901-569-4912
    orders@earplugsthatfit.com

tony

7. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I found that my molded plugs kept slipping out of my ears, so I ordered a big box of disposables and got myself a mesh washbag. I get four or five wearings out of them, accumulating a bunch until I'm ready to toss the bag into the wash. When they lose some of their resilience, I toss them and break out another pair. Cost me less than a new set of moldeds, and at my age, they'll probably last me the rest of my life anyway.

Tony

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

Insta-Mold from Deb from Gunrunner, if you are in eastern Va.

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I got a set of the Insta Molds made locally. Check with hearing aid companies in the phone book. Alot of them do this, but dont advertise. Mine were $50. Comfortable, and seem to work pretty good,

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

At last years NC State Shoot, I bought a set of the Ear Instant Mold plugs. I gave $40 and I am well satisfied. I have a time hearing the scorer, but I know I'm saving what hearing I have left. I shot High Power Rifle competition, and played music for many years. I wish I had used hearing protection at all times. I might not say huh? as often as I do now. J.W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.