1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best model for beginning trap & home protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Concannon, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concannon

Concannon TS Member

I am new to the trap shooting sport. I am looking for a good trap shooting gun that can double as a home protection weapon. I would like to spend between $500 and $1600 at most for this shotgun. I prefer an autoloader model. Considering durability, ease of use, and quality, which model would you recommend I purchase. Thank you for your help.

C.E.

2. JOND

JOND TS Member

Model 12 ! JOND

3. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

I agree with Rick

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Rick's suggestion of a Remington 870 came to mind, right away. I give it the edge over a Mod 12 because of cost, availability, and barrel options, easily & cheaply found most everywhere. 20 - 24" IC barrels are not uncommon.

Good luck, all the best.....mike

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Simple...870 with a 30 inch "target barrel" and full and IM tubes, then add a riot barrel for when you're home.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about an 1100 Remington Trap model for trap AND a slug barreled M37 Ithaca or M870 Remington for the home defense gun. You can have both and still be with-in the budget you mentioned.

7. ncbound

ncbound TS Member

Trap is trap, home defense is home defense. You can easily buy a brand new home defense shotgun, like a mossberg 500 or an 870 and purchase a dedicated trap shotgun and still stay way below budget.

8. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Home defense, think short length double barrel 12 gauge. Easy to point and lots of lead down range in a short period of time.
    Trap, whatever; that's on the range under controlled circumstances.

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I think Rick Barber nailed it. Although I would not disagree with a Model 12, but these are two separate purposes and require two separate tools. Trying to run through the house with a 30 inch barrel is just plain crazy. Trying to clear the house without training is also crazy, but that is another point altogether. Get two guns, don't lie to your wife and just do it. Plus the sound of a pump or slide action shotgun is the international sound of "is what I am doing right now worth dying for?"

10. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Mossberg 500 with full choke vent rib for trap with an additional slug or cut-down barrel for defense will be cheap, effective and durable. Save the extra and use it toward a nice O/U or combo later.

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't you love the guys on TV that shuck'em 4-5 times before firing?

Only on the older M-12s could you hold the trigger back & keep shucking and firing, later ones wouldn't do that.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

870 (less expensive and more readily available and adaptable with shorter barrel for home defense than a Model 12, but either would work). Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.