1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best metallic reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rebelace, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

besides a dillion what does everyone think is the best do to experience only
    not just what you here but from what you have used

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Aside from Dillon IMHO, none!.....Bob Dodd

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Short of a Dillon progressive go to a Bonanza CO-AX.

Robert

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Most people will tell you what their using is the best. I had a Dillon RL 550B 20 years ago and sold it when I got out of bullseye shooting. About 4 years ago I picked up a Hornady LNL autoprogressive and I like it better then my Dillon. Right now you get 1,000 bullets from Hornady for buying the LNL so in the end your paying less then $200 for the unit. If you compare apples to apples Dillon RL 650 which is a autoprogressive and not the RL 550 your paying alot more for the Dillon. Hornady also gives you a no BS warranty like Dillon. If you plan on knocking out alot of pistol rounds both machines will do fine, if your precision reloading stick with a single station press like the RCBS Rockcrusher.

5. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

thanks toolmaker i was thinking about hornady and also looking at rcbs
    for rifle loads been using a buddys dillon and whasnt that impressed (650)
    also he had a lot tied up in

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

other than progressive -- -go with a Bonanza C0-Ax or a Redding - simply the best.....Redding or Wilson dies - period.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I have 650 dillon very expensive to change cal LNL is best for the bucks

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For 38 and 45 pistol the Star is hard to beat. HMB

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Dillon, Dillon, Dillon. Their customer service and parts replacement policy is worth the extra cost.
    Bruce

10. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

For progressives, Dillon. For single stage, RCBS. Period, end of story.

Tony

11. TOOLMAKER 251

Remember what rebelace said? he was not inpressed with his friends 650 Dillon. HMB your right about the Star, I had one but sold it. Finding parts for one is just as hard. I still have 2 Star lube sizers.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My has carbide dies, no lube needed to resize. HMB

13. TOOLMAKER 251

hmb, You might have misunderstood my post about the lube sizers. They are for sizing and lubing lead cast bullets. 20 years ago I sold my Star press in 38 special to get a Dillon RL550 That was a mistake. My 1 lube sizer is tricked out with a heated base, and air feed for pressurizing the lube. This sizer can run at 2,000 an hour. Put a bucket under it and let them fall.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I understand now. HMB

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I loaded a lot of ammo on a RCBS rocker chucker. Never broke any part of that tool and still use that 40 year old press for small batches of rifle ammo. This is an okay way to go if you only need a box or two of hunting ammo at a time. If you are shooting any kind of competitive game you will need a progressive loader. IMO, the Dillon 550 is your best bet there for many reasons, a distant second would be Hornady's progressive.

16. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

High volume I know nothing about in metallic, But for hunting loads the ole RCBS rock crusher works then my serious loads i'll use redding type s comp. dies and also an abor press while at the range

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

At Quantico (more years ago than I like to admit) the Marines loaded up rifle match ammo on the Bonanza CO-AX press which is a pretty fair endorsement. When I shot High Power Rifle and 1000 yard matches competitively as a civilian(again more years ago than I like to admit) I used a RCBS Rockchucker. It still loads great ammo and has had zero breakage or repairs needed in 37 years.
    For a progressive I like Dillon but had no problems with my old Hornady Projector either. The powder dump was a little complex on both it and the RCBS but worked well after adjusted. My RCBS pro-2000 used the APS priming system which when it worked was OK but was easily knocked out of alignment and required a clear space behind the press for the empty primer strip to move.

--- Chip King ---

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is good to see a lot of old guys still respect the Star.

I have two of them. What a great machine.

I have four Dillon's too. A 550, 650 and two 1050's

Plus a Co-Ax

For accurate loads the Co-Ax is very good

For speed (in one caliber) the 1050 wins.

How many rounds a month do youshot and what range of calibers and for what purpose.

BEST will be a different answer.

Don

19. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

My one problem with the Co-Ax - it was a very effective press, very fast to change dies and very little issue about shellholders (unless you load a caliber which requires the second set of jaws, which I did), is that I learned to load on a Rockchucker. So I learned the case shuffle, where you pick up the new case between left thumb and forefinger, and take the last one out of the press with left forfinger and middle finger (it's harder to describe than do). This minimizes the motion involved. But it requires using the right hand on the press handle and almost madates sitting directly in front of the press. The Co-Ax's handle comes down along the centerline of the press, so I had to sit off to the right and then my arms crossed with every handle stroke. Very awkward. So I sold it and replaced it with a Redding Boss, which did everything I needed it to do at the time and was comfortable as well.

That was before I got my first 650. Boyoboy, what that an eyeopener for production speed.

Tony

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are shooting in rifle competition you want to load them one at a time and make them perfect. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best metallic progressive loader

best metallic shell loader

best single stage metallic reloader