1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Low Recoil Wad-1oz?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Been reloading for years but I don't know alot about different types of wads.I am looking for a good low recoil wad for 1oz loads in tapered hulls.

Appreciate your knowledge! Thanks

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to buy the wad the manufacturer of your hull uses for 1 oz., or a clone of that wad. You will have no fit or firing problems, and there will be a wealth of reloading data available for it.

Once you know a little more about the subject, you may want to try a lighter wad. Even a 5gr difference in wad weight makes a feelable difference on your shoulder.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

For a taper hull,1 oz,AA/STS,use the Remington TGT green wad with 16.2 or 16.3 Clays. This load will chrono about 1150. Clone wad if you like. I prefer the Rem. wad.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Even a 5gr difference in wad weight makes a feelable difference on your shoulder."

Does in a center fire rifle also! Hap

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I would suggest using the Claybuster 12SL equivalent wad (CB1100-12) with Alliant's Clay Dot or E3 powder in a Remington case, 209P primer. For low perceived recoil, you want a soft-plastic wad with a soft/smooth shooting powder. Patterns will be superb.

Even softer (because of softer plastic)is the Claybuster 12L equivalent (CB178-12), but it's a 24 gram wad and there are few recipes for it in 1 oz/28gram. Patterns will be tighter.

In reifenhauser cases, I suggest the Gualandi SRC as Ballistic Products calls it.

- - Bill

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I actually prefer heavier wads in my centerfire rifle loads.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

When someone tells you that they can feel the difference between 2 wads that differ in weight by 5 gr (I assume that's "grains" since a TGT-12 wad only weighs 2.5 "grams"), ask them if they can tell which of their 1 oz reloads contains 410 #8 shot and which one contains 405 or 415 since 5 #8 pellets of good shot weigh just a bit more than 5 grains. I think it's safe to call that "impossible".

Felt recoil is the result of moving X amount of weight at Y speed. The acceleration is virtually instantaneous and no wad is going to make a difference you can feel, all other ballistic factors being equal. Move the weight slower or move a lighter weight at the same speed and the felt recoil will be less.

I think you'll actually notice more of a reduction in felt recoil by improving your hearing protection... higher NRR in the plugs or muffs you wear. Sounds unlikely but it works.

MK

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have found that the original and "lightning" Windjammers seem to have less felt recoil in the 1oz load. It may be all in my head....

Have not had the chance to shoot the TGT Rem wads but I have recently bought 4 bags. We will see...

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I like the Down Range XL-1 for 1 oz and I have a group of compatriots that agree. However, were that wad to disappear, I'd have no problems returning to the 12SL clone (CB1100-12) from Clay Buster. I have had no experience with the TGT from Rem. but the reputation is remarkable....breakemall......Bob Dodd

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If you want less recoil, why don`t you use less powder ???

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Unknown is correct.

There is a theoretical difference caused by wad weight but you would not be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

To reduce recoil, use less shot and/or less velocity.

I use both the Greenduster and Down Range XL-1 with good success.

Don Verna

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Downrange XL-1 was designed for 1 oz. loads in AA or STS hulls.
    Works great!

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would use the wad designed for the hull. If you do use a wad that allows a lot of gas leakage around the powder cup it will reduce recoil, shot velocity, shell effectiveness and leave a mess in your barrel.

Pat Ireland

14. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Another vote for Downrange XL-1. I load either American Select or Clays, makes a great 1 oz load.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The Windjammer 2 may be the lightest and the cheapest.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Above is a test of how much people can tell about recoil when the test is the simplest possible: Two consecutive shots - were they the same or different?

The answer is they can't tell much. Strictly speaking, when the test involves powders, they can't tell anything.

But I appreciate this thread, since it gives my a new variable to test. Any bets?

Neil

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Take a box of reloads and weight each shell. Write down the weights of each shell. You'll be surprised.

18. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I am happy with the 18 grains of green dot and the WAASL wad in the AA shell or the same load in the STS with the TGT12. Can't tell any difference.

Handicap 23 grains of PB.

Dave

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My favorite wad for light 1oz loads in A-A hulls is the Windjammer II pushed by 15.5 gr of Nitro100. With Rem hulls, I go with 17 gr of ClayDot pushing D-R TGT12 wads.

20. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have been using CB 1100, 14 gr of AA Lite with a Winchester primer in a Remington hull.

It is suppose to only be going about 1080. It smokes them if you are on.

For some reason if I use STS primers with this or any load, I get a sqibb about 1 in 200. I think I just got a bad lot of primers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 1 oz wad

best 1 oz wads

best wad for 1oz load