1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best lead for shotmaking ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TNshawn, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNshawn

TNshawn TS Member

I am getting everything together for making shot and was wondering what is the best type of lead to use? Wheel weights, range lead or getting stick-on WW which tends to be pure lead and then mix your own? I can get range lead already smelted in bar form for a decent price but wondered how well it would work. I reload for weekend trap/skeet shooting with my son so I do not need the high end factory stuff for competition.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Wheel weights. Stick-on weights will goop up you mixture. I melt those and sell the ingots to pistol shooters.

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

You want the old UNPAINTED wheel weights.. not the newer ones with zinc in them.. the zinc will clog up your drippers and make a mess..

4. len loma

len loma TS Member

Just a FYI: Lead wheel weights will soon be scarce due to EPA lead wheel weight ban. Zinc looks to be the replacement material for them. Len

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you cant trust the Ingot WW they dont care what they sell and as said zinc will give you fits better find what you can NOW as after first of year its look and hope

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Unless you have a reliable source for wheel weights/lead to last you for at least a couple of years, or more, it would appear that making your own shot may not be a viable solution. While making your own shot can be a very fun hobby, especially when shared with your son, it can also be a costly one if you get stuck with a high dollar shotmaker and nothing to run through it, which may happen sooner than a lot of folks realize... Just my take on it..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I been thinking, I get lots of junk batterys at my cycle shop. Bustem washoff acid, lots of lead. Just a thought, batterys can be had cheap, might be an overlooked lead source. Jim

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

No no HELL NO on melting batteries for the lead. From The Antimony Man.com: Salvaged battery lead should be avoided at all costs. Since the advent of the maintenance free battery the lead content has been reduced and elements such as strontium, calcium and others have been added. Most of these elements cast poorly, ruin a pot of good alloy they are blended with and ARE EXTREMLY TOXIC. The quantity and quality of lead from batteries is not worth the risk or the effort. Maintenace free/low maintenance batteries use calcium metal-doped lead to catalyze the hydrogen gas. the lead alloy used in batteries also contains a bit of antimony and arsenic to help harden and strengthen the lead. When hydrogen comes in contact with the arsenic and antimony, the hydrogen reacts to form ammmonia analogues called arsine and stibine, AsH3 and SbH3. In World War One the Germans experimented with these as war gases. As such they were highly effective since they are deadly in amounts to small to easily detect. Do yourself and everyone in the vicinity a favor and DO NOT use batteries. Severe lung damage and even death could result. Sell the batteries to a recycler and let the professionals deal with the risks. My own comments: Damn it don't do it! This not to say taht you could get away with it if not using maintenance free batteries but how are you going to know even if a battery has screw caps on it? It might still have the above mentioned calcium in the plates. Bill

9. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Glad someone smarter than me knew this info.thanks Wild Bill you saved me abit of work on an experiment doomed to fail. Jim

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have approx. 900 pounds of wheel weights that have been sitting around for about a year, if anyone near Pittsburgh, Pa. is interested. They are lead. My supplier just started using zinc so I quit picking them up. I will sell for what the scrap yard pays. Bulge.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Do you all know, what battery acid is used for in the recycling world? Another wise, what is it turned into? Laundry detergent......That's right: Tide, Cheer, and all the rest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i use old batteries to make lead shot