1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best lawnmower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BigBruno, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

I'm looking to get a new lawnmower. Nothing elaborate, just well built and dependable. Not craftsman. Recommendations?

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I own a Walker ZRT and there is none better as far as bagging and the quality of cut but then again they are not your average $3000 mower either.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

For me, it's my wife. She's pretty dependable, but not so well built as 30 years ago. :)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had a Self Propelled Toro w/6.75 hp Tecumseh. I had to replace the rear drive system twice so i gave up on her after 10 yrs. Their system is called the Personal Pace and worked real good when it worked. With their system the faster you walked, the faster it would go. The Toro push mowers are still good mowers but i just decided to try the better rated Honda.

I just bought a Honda Rear Drive last fall. It has a twin blade system. It cuts real nice but likes premium fuel. If you run 87octane in it makes starting it harder. It has adjustable speed control lever and is variable speed. It will go faster than you want to. They are proud of them though. The Honda mower uses a Honda engine and has a 160cc Single overhead cam 4 stroke. It also has automatic choke system and bag.

Whatever you do, don't get the front drive systems. I had a Poulan front drive and took it back. The thing torque steered like a front drive car making straight lines hard.
    grntitan_2009_250320.jpg

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Grntitan is right on with the Honda. Great mower and will last forever and has great suction. Snapper HiVac is excellent mover with great suction and will virtually vacuum your yard when you mow. They are not the cheapest but quality and very good.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Funny you mention the front drive because I really like them. The one I have spins both of the front tires so there is no problem mowing a strait line. This way I can mow the entire yard and only have to turn on and off the drive system like 4 times. With rear drive you have to stop it every time you turn. I just push down the handle (raises front wheels) turn and go when the wheels are lowered, so I don't have to start and stop the wheels all the time. I think it helps with the break downs. Around $100 to replace the front powder drive system. I have a Toro as well. It was a Home Depot special. Its OK for a mower. Last one I had was a Sears and it was underpowdered. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Garry

Garry Active Member

Another vote for Honda.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

honda and kawasaki both have one thing in common: honda makes it's own jet engine and kawasaki powers the lotus elise. or they both make motorcycles. or they both power lawnmowers. whatever. either way, you can't go wrong with either one. good luck with it
    oh, now i remember: neither one of them is a briggs and stratton or a tecumseh. they're both examples of motorcycle engine technology applied to a lawn mower, not lawn mower engine technology applied to a go cart or a mini bike. good luck with it

9. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Honda! Bought mine back in 1993 and it still runs like new..A few spark plugs,a new blade every few years (OEM blade cheaper to replace than sharpen!)Only thing that ever failed was a self-propel cable at $18.... FYI,I drive a 2001 Honda Accord-also bulletproof. Just my 2 cents worth ! Paul in Virginia

10. archangel

archangel Member

HONDA, great engines easy to get parts

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Just bought a Honda from Home Depot a month ago. So far I'm very pleased, seems to run and start fine on 87octane.

Robert

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Forget all those mowers!

I use Jose y Manuel!

They not only mow the lawn, they edge it and sweep up ... then bag the grass and take it away!

Werks fer me!

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

How can you beat this for lawn care......

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z0ICJ7E3CUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Robert--I believe the instructions say 86 or higher. I was having issues with it being hard to start on occasions. The guy at the warranty service told me about running higher octane. I started using the 91 octane and my problem disappeared.

15. ABH

ABH Member

Honda.

16. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

I got a Honda from HD in 2000, I never thought i would ever buy anything that was made by the country that shot at my father in WW2 but i did, I hope my dad will forgive me but its the best lawnmower i ever stood behind.

17. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Honda self-propelled. Best money I ever spent on a walk-behind mower.

I use high octane fuel in all of my lawn equipment (mowers, trimmers, blower, etc.).

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Give it another month or two and the Honda will come with the new feature of glowing in the dark, it should help those who get off later in the evening but still would like to mow their lawn at dusk....

19. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I think the Honda is the best...bar none. I've had a few mowers in my life. Loved the handling of my Snapper but the discharge chute would clog like heck on tall or damp grass. I've had Toros, good mowers but longevity was only so so..I got about 8 years out of them. I had a Murry/Scott's and it was good but again, it was heavy and durability of the drive components was not great. I really hated the idea that you had to stop the motor to empty the bag...no blade brake. Then I got a Honda...wow. I paid twice as much for it, almost $800 (it is commercial grade) but it is worth every penny. It's quieter, more powerful, easy to start, never breaks, cuts really well and is easy to work on (sharpening, filter changing, oil changing etc.) The self-drive is smooth and the speed is adjustable. Bag size is generous too. I'd get a Honda.

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My mother had a small honda rider and the blade spun so fast it sounded like a hurricane and kicked up so much dirt that I took my old 1961 38" Cub Cadet down to mow her lawn.
    Much more pleasant experience mowing with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.