1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Knife sharpener

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a couple filet knifes and some paring knives made by the late Don Canney ( they are called Leech lake knives for those of you not familiar with him) He always sharpened them for me over the years for free but since he passed away I want to find a way to do it myself. These are very high quality and expensive knives that are razor sharp when he finished with them and they last a long time but now with over 1000 fish cleaned they are ready again.I would appreciate some real good feedback on what to buy

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Lansky sharpener. Great stones and does a nice custom edge. Don;t use any electric sharpener

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used many manual sharpners from stones to the devices like the Lansky

I will tell you though- from a time perspective and what you want to do get a 3 way Chefs choice-- and if you are married you can tell your spouse you got it for them. Just like the digital scale that you use to weigh gun parts with.

I dont care what anyone says about electric sharpners- they are just repeating rumors they have heard. It doesnt pertain to this particular sharpner.

Why 3 way? That third option allows you to really fine tune the edge and it also allows sharpening of serrated blades

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

To get a razor sharp edge, I use an oil stone and finish with crock sticks. Bud Wood

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 on the 3 way Chefs choice!

I have stones, diamond pads and carbide edgers ... they all work very well, but ... the 3 way Chefs choice is the fastest and easiest and puts on a beautiful edge on my knives.

6. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I use a 12 diamond steel for my fillet and paring knives, as well as kitchen knives, but I know how to use it. At an early age I worked in a chicken processing plant. To start at the company in any position, you had to work one of the de-boning lines for three months. You learn how to sharpen knives very well after doing it 8 hours a day for three months. I would also recommend a Lansky "fillet" knife sharpener for ease of use. I use a stone and oil for my hunting knives, and bring a small stone in the field. Personally I don't care for the chef's choice.

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that some with hours to spend will get a better edge on a blade with a stone than any kind of mechnanical contraption. But for those who just want a consistently sharp knife without having to learn a craft, see this link to the Warthog knife sharpener.

My only thought is that if this guy would rebrand this product with a European or Asian name, mount it on marble or granite instead of wood, put it in a very chic packaging, and sell it in Williams and Sonoma for 10 times its current price, he'd make a fortune because they also work very well.

8. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Spyderco Sharpmaker is great!

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Vulkanus. Works for me. Martinpicker

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I really like my Chef's Choice M130 Professional Sharpening Station.

Kitchen knives stay extremely sharp. I still use the lansky for my pocket knives but electric is the way to go..

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I agree with the Lansky for pocket knives and hunting knives, but for a flexible fillet knife I don't see how you can do it without a lot of flexing. depending upon what type of fish you clean and how tough the scales, you can't beat the simple and cheap carbide "V" that you simply drag across the blade, yes it removes some metal but they fillet like hell!!

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-001-Knife-Sharpener-Pack/dp/B0038N8RDI/ref=sr_1_141?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1316817703&sr=1-141

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I used to give my dull knives to my Dad to sharpen -- he had 4 or 5 large stones of various "grits" on his bench and he was a wizard and very proud of his skill.

When he died I started putting dull knives in a drawn and buying a new ones with a nice sharp edge (seriously) until one of my son's gave me a 3-way Chef's Choice for my birthday which was perfect because I knew he'd borrown it and I could let him use it to sharpen my dull knives --- they come back sharp so it must work.

13. wa shooter

wa shooter TS Member

Don’t put some of the best knives made thru the torture of an electric knife sharpener. Edge pro made in the pacific northwest by a trapshooter. Supports the side of the blade while sharpening the edge, you control the angle and how much of a polish you want to put on the edge all the way to 3000 grit with wet stones. Look at his web site there is instructional videos to let you see the sharpener in action.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

i went through my best knife sharpener/razor sharp blade phase about ten years ago. the edgemaker got me nine stitches across three fingertips and i didn't even feel a thing! i highly endorse it. good luck with it

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The secret to a truly sharp blade is a consistent angle. For the average person to get that consistency, a jig must be used. I use the Gatco system, which has 4 different stones from coarse to extra fine, and a triangular serrated blade stone. The jig clamps the blade securely, and if you remember the position on the blade where you clamp it, you can get exactly the same angle each time. Starting with a coarse or medium stone, depending on how dull the blade is, use a well oiled stone to stroke from the edge onto the blade, rather than from the body of the blade out over the edge. Using the same pressure on each stroke, work from end to end, then flip the jig over and repeat on the other side. Repeat using progressively finer stones until you have achieved the edge you want. I use this system on all my knives: hunting, fishing, and kitchen, and am very happy with the results. I take it in the field when hunting, and use it for touchups if necessary when processing animals. Nothing dulls a blade like a frozen moose or bear, left to hang overnight, and frozen by a cold snap blowing in.

16. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

On the knife forums, you will find many favor the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have been pleased. My Benchmades will shave my arms.

Dave

17. dougp

dougp TS Member

I agree with the guys that have the Syderco, Sharpmaker , the others are o.k but I have had my Syderco ,s for 30 years , they used to go under the trade name Triangle Sharpmaker until Spyderco bought the trade name out years ago . The ceramics are triangular in shape with groves in them and come with a base to make sure the ceramics are always the correct angle and you can also sharpen fish hooks in the groves on the ceramics. The configuration of the ceramics also allows you to sharpen cerated knives.
    Another point all the trappers in Ontario Canada use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. The trappers use a variety of skinning knives and they have to be razor sharp.The trappers swear by them and believe me they have tried every thing else. The spyderco are more money but you will not be disappointed and are well worth the extra money.Good luck on whatever you purchase but purchase quality , pays off in the long run

18. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out the Wicked Edge system.

19. psfive

psfive Member

Learn how to use a stone correctly and a diamond to finish. It never takes more than a few seconds to make them all sharp enough to shave with. Paul in Nebraska

20. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Do not use a stone on your fillet knives,use a butcher's steel. you will not see a stone where they fillet fish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bobbit knife sharpener