1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best jig for pad grinding

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For those of you who grind and fit your own pads, who makes the easiest to use model?

ss

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

None of them are very easy to set the right angle. You have to loosen the bolt, set the angle, then tighten the bolt without moving the angle. Not really hard, but it can be annoying if it moves while tightening.

The trick is to check the angle again after tightening.

The Miles Gilbert has the best design because you can set both angles before you start grinding. It's on sale at Midway right now for $35.

[​IMG]

I like the look of the Graco better, but I haven't used it:

[​IMG]

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Out of curosity, do you freeze it first?

4. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use one from www.gunsmithertools.com. Easy to use product. You set toe angle by aligning the butt and bottom of stock. This jig is about foolproof.

Alan

5. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Gilbert works great. DON'T over tighten the pad hold down bolts, they easily deform a Kickeez and it will grind that way. Snug is good enough.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i do well with the old pad as a model. I'll take a pic of that soon and send that along.

I take the old pad and tape it tightly to the new pad and grind to the score line never touching the old pad. Been using the same Perazzi pad (as a model) for a couple of dozen new pads.

Verks goot Ollie

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm looking really hard at the Miles Gilbert model (hard to beat for the $$), but I do have an inquiry into the one you speak about alant.

ss

8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I use a sanding jig purchased from Brownells that is similar to the ones shown above. I changed out all the screws to socket head to make it easier to work with. I also turned two thick washers that are a tight fit with the screws and have a shoulder that sticks out and fits tightly into the holes of the recoil pad. This way you only have to smug the bolts and the pad is held firmly in place. You do not get any distortion with the soft pads. I do not freeze any of them, no need to. I use a protactor from a combination square set to match the angles on the stock and transfer to the jig. Good luck. Bob

[​IMG]

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Smitty. Your deal is like "Gun Doctor's. He never misses with his either

10. porky

porky TS Member

Brownells sells the jigs for pad grinding. You need a belt sander also.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

After a bit of a conversation with Joe Beary (www.gunsmithertools.com) and realized that with his jig the combination square was unnecessary. This makes things a little easier to deal with. It is a few more dollars than the Gilbert Miles, but not by much.

Thanks for the heads-up on this jig Alan.

Git-R-Done,

I already have the sander part covered. Thanks.

ss

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The B & R a-frame jig from Brownell's is the best by far. I do about 1400 pads a year and its the only one I'll use.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I've heard that freezing the pad will help with grinding the rubber part, but I haven't done it as of yet.

SS,

How much is the jig you're buying? I'd be curious to see a pic of it.

15. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short Shucker,
    You won't be dissapointed in the ease of this fixture. You can grind a pad in a very short time. The nice part about it is that the pad is always mounted with the solid part of the pad on the fixture. You don't have to worry about tightening it down too tight and deforming the pad when you grind it.

Alan

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Rastoff,

Click on the link above and it will take you right to it. The price with shipping was just shy of $55.

I've heard of guys having to refrigerate/freeze that gooey pads because they are so soft. I don't know of the circumstances surrounding how they grind them.

Ruck,

That looks like a nice jig too. I never want to grind 1400 pads in my lifetime let alone a year. That's why there are professionals like you around.

I'll have to post some pic's of my first attempt. This will probably happen sometime next week if I get my house chores done.

ss

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Thanks for the link SS.

The trick with soft pads like Gooey is to use a more coarse sanding belt/disc for the initial shape. If you use too fine a grit it tends to pull at the rubber rather than cut it. I only go to the fine grit when at the finish stage. This is more for the plastic to get it nice and shiny. That step is not necessary, but it looks much more professional that way.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Andybull above has the best pad grinding set-up. Just need to mount the vertical bar w/ hook onto the sander so that the pad lines up at the middle of the sander. You can move pad side to side to use all of the belt and the angle is perfect every time as the whole thing will keep rotating around in a circle so that you can grind the whole pad in a 360 circle no problem. Good for adj. butt plates as well. Break-em all. Jeff

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My new jig showed up today (ordered on the 3rd. Great service Joe!), and it appears to be as good as promised. I can't wait to give it a try! It has a nice set of instructions, complete with pic's, to help out a newbie like me. I'm really looking forward to learning a new trick.

ss

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

disc sander and the Brownell jig is the best set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
recoil pad jig
butt pad grinding gig
butt pad grinding tool
fixture for sanding butt pads
jig for grinding butt pads
recoil pad grind fixture

recoil pad grinding fixture

recoil pad grinding jig