1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best instructor / class

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Didreckson, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I know this has been covered in the past, but the search engine is not being my friend. I have a bug to take a trapshooting class, 2 or 3 days, or more if I am a hopeless case. I know there will be many opinions, but wish to filter it down to the "best" choice for me.

So, in everyone's most humble opinion, what class or instructor really helped your game? I can go run them, but that seems to only be when the force is with me. I want to hit the basics, and really have a strong professional tweak my form, fit, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Didreckson:
    Ok it sounds like you are a streak shooter like me but never know when the streak will begin.

Ok myself I have been in a bad slump especially up close for at least 2 years I have never took a class from anyone because I figured I would be like some of my other friends that took them and tried to shoot like the instructor and ended up taking another 6 months to recover.

I did have a offer from a friend to help me and he is well qualified to help since he has won a lot of major titles and knows a lot about gun fit and what a person needs to change to do better I might have to take him up on the offer because as you it seems like I have lost a lot of the basic things so I might just need someone to watch me for awhile to see if im doing something wrong.

Ok I can't recommend anyone of the pro's since I haven't been to them but I know of one years ago a lot of my friends went to and said it was a waste of money and the instructor years ago and even now is a good doubles shooter but wasn't a very good teacher I guess all he wanted to tell was about all of the things he had won in the past.

Fog

3. skinitback777

skinitback777 TS Member

Britt Robinson!!! Enough Said!!!

4. antique

antique TS Member

frank hoppe

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Leo Harrison has my vote!

Ronbo

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner, Leo Harrison, and Harlan Campbell. I've had help from all three, and they are all good. I learned something that helped my game from each of them.

7. ccridr

ccridr Member

Harlan Campbell Jr. Very good shooter, Member of the Kansas St. Trapshooting Hall of Fame, Named to 10 All-American Teams - Captain 4 Years, 30 Grand American Trophies, All-Around Champion 2001, 17 Satellite Grand Championships,
    9 Zone Championships, 20 Kansas State Shoot Titles. And more than all the wins, Harlan has the skill to be a very effective teacher. He takes only 5 students per class, and charges a very reasonable $275.00 for the 2 day clinic.
    Phone - 620-376-2580
    Cell - 620-376-8787
    Email: stubbleduck1@yahoo.com

You will benifit from Harlin's clinic.
    Colby aka ccridr

8. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

I`ll vote for Kiner, had Campbell, Leo, Kay. For the weekend shooter, aren`t we all, he will work with YOU. The others lean toward teaching you their method. If you have never shot much, that would be the way to go. If you`ve already started and got bad habits; changing is going to lower your scores for six months, then you will slowly go back to your old way anyway. Harlan will tell you up front, No fairy dust here! I really believe that it is a gun fit and mental concentration game. Try to get to a good gun fitter. The mental game can be developed, some people just can concentrate easily, most cannot. For me it is a constant struggle. STOP THINKING!! I put in a lot of practice after taking the classes, a lot of 49/50-50/50 a few 100/100, but I feel I could be much better. I really expect/want to smoke every target. Gun fit and ease of concentration. I would pursue those two areas before investing in a clinic. Never take a class with more than ten students!! I feel the video cam is important. I now try to practice in the wind every chance I get. Those blustery winter days with confused targets are treasures, really!

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Not to dispute Antrim, but just to add my experience...Leo did not try to teach me his method of shooting, he just helped me work out my leads with my style. That was my experience, anyway.

Phil will not change your style, either. He is great with several things.

Harlan is a very effective teacher, just like ccridr said.

10. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

All of the above are great, I'm sure, but do not overlook BRITT ROBINSON.

I and some others at my local club took a lesson from Britt, and we came home with over a handful of state shoot trophies three weeks later. And we are all at least one singles class higher than we were, and what can you say about Britt's doubles teaching . . . .

The basic principles he instilled in us, while working with each of us at the level of our own ability, have taken all of us to a new level.

I can't speak for the others, but I, for one, am a far, far better shooter thanks to one day with Britt.

11. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Leo Harrison - You won't regret it.

hubcap

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

While I have only taken two class', one with Harlan and one with Leo, I feel like I got the most bang for the buck from Harlan. Everything is explained down the the finest detail. The bottom line is that there are no "secretes". Everyone pretty much knows how to break every target, the key is to do it on a consistent basis. We (the great unwashed)have a hard time turning down targets that are not right. We for some reason have a hard time having targets reset to make them better. If they are too high or too low, ask to have them reset, don't just shoot them and hope for the best. I shot with a group this past weekend on a singles event. The targets were too low, I said those targets are too low, anyone besides me think so? Everyone else said they looked fine and lets shoot them. Well, I lowered my hold point about 2.5 feet and crunched a 99 on them, everyone else was singing the blues by the end of the second trap saying Man I wish we had changed them. Either adjust the targets or adjust yourself. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap instructor