1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best inexpensive first gun for child

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Carman, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carman

Carman TS Member

I am just getting my 10 year old son into trap and skeet. He has been using my single shoot .410 guage single shot shootgun but it is full choke and he is not having much luck with it. I am looking into getting him his first "real" gun. I am thinking a 20 guage would be best. Does anyone have any reccomendations about an inexpensive first shootgun that could be used for trap and skeet? Thanks for the help.

Jason

2. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

20 gauge rem 1100 w/ choke tubes or two barrels, skeet barrel would be nicer because it's a little shorter and lighter to swing.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, Remington 1100 LT-20, specifically in the Youth variation.

4. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Remington 1100 20 ga, choke tubes or two barrels is right. .410 is an awful first gun for the reasons you already know. An 1100 will do everything a gun needs to do, is reliable, and will last him for a very long time.

5. Carman

Carman TS Member

Thanks for the advice. Where is the best place to buy the 1100? Is this a gun I can pick up at Walmart or is there a better place to buy this gun? What does it run?

Jason

6. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Look around for a used one. I wouldn't spend any more than $350-$475 topps depending on the two barrel or choke tube version. Some people might spend more but there not worth too much more (in my eyes).
    Gunbroker has a youth model right now with a black synthetic stock with a buy it now of $576 or so.
    Gunbroker.com
    Guns america.com
    auction arms.com

7. winselect

winselect TS Member

You should go ahead and just buy a Beretta 3901RL, then he will have a gun that will grow with him. And a 12GA will have alot less recoil than the 1100 20GA. we tried that route and wasnt impressed. The 3901RL is the only way to go.
    Kevin

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

You'd do best to go to gun stores, and have him try out some. A friend's 10-yr-old boy can't manage my 20-GA 1100 Youth with 21" barrel; it's too nose heavy for him. So first, go see what length & weight he can handle. It depends on the kid, when they're this age. Phil E

9. winselect

winselect TS Member

Phil E, you are excatly right the 1100 is a barrel heavy gun, and it kicks. My son just turned 11 and he is a small kid and he handles the 3901RL just fine. But the are pricy. Around 850.00
    Kevin

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The least expensive would be one already in your safe.

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I bought an old Remington Sportsman's 58 20 gauge with improved cylinder barrel. It had no rib and shoots well. I cut off the stock and put a decent pad on the gun. I got lucky, I only paid $75.00 for the gun. It had a little rust, but that came off. I now use the gun for children and ladies of small stature.
    I bought my son an automatic Franchi AL28, 28 gauge , I believe the numbers are correct, and bought a stock with the hole cut. I then had the stock cut off to about 12 inches. It was light enough for him to handle. I would urge you to use the lightest recoiling shell you can find. I still load 7/8 oz. for my son.
    If your child is really interested in trap, keep your eye open for BT 99 Micro with 30 inch barrel. They are really a nice gun.
    Before I got the Micro, I had Briley take a BT 99 , cut the barrel off to make it just under 30 inches, backbored , forcing cones, extended chaoke tubes, and ported. I would not buy the extended chokes again, too much money, and I probably would not port it again. I use it now to teach ladies and kids to shoot.

Charlie

12. skeet100

skeet100 Member

My son likes his 1100 20 gauge. I made it fit him and we have screw chokes for his every need.

I don't want him to be handicapped like I was with a POS shotgun.

To me shells and a gun are cheaper than a lawyer.

13. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Check this out. At 6.5# it's about as light as you would want. If still a bit long, you could shorten the stock, then add spacer/pad later as he grows. It's about as cheap as a nice used gun, and would last him for years until he's ready for a different gun.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700253671.html

14. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Ditto on the 3901 Target

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best and inexpensive do not usually go together.

Get the 3901 RL and the gun will "grow" with the young shooter. It will cycle light loads - so get the 12 ga.

Don

16. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

in my opinion by him a 12ga semi auto 391, 1100, that he can grow with and have him shoot some nice low recoil 1oz loads it shouldnt kick much more then a 20 and he wont have to upgrade when he wants to up the size.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I tried to get my 14 year old to like the 3901. That gun must be made for very small people or midgets. Even with the added spacer the gun was way to short for my son. Through all of this I have come to the conclusion that a BT 99 is the best all around gun for smaller framed shooters. All three of my kids have shot the 99 very well.

18. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Any Beretta or Remington auto with a youth /lady stock in 12 ga will do well, stay away from the 20 ga, you will be stuck with the 20 and there is more felt recoil with a 20.... You can also down-load the 12 where it is near sub-sonic, hardly any felt recoil and reduced muzzle blast.... With both reduced recoil and muzzle blast, this helps reduce flinch and the fear of pulling the trigger, this is a far better way to start out a youth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.