1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best inexpensive chronograph?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Which of the following would be the best buy:

BETA CHRONY-$88.60

PROCHRONO DIGITAL-$92.00

PROCHRONO Pal-$82.54

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

NVM, found a good deal on the F1, am going to buy that based on some of the recommendations i've found by searching the old threads

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

When it comes to chronos, if you intend to get accurate and repeatable results, BEST and INEXPENSIVE must not be used in the same paragraph!

Morgan

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Lots of the guys at the riffle range have these,,,,,are they good??

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I`ve used the chrony for years, rifle, pistol, and shotgun, no problems, and accurate enough for most users.

Tom R.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

For rifles, they are passable...not terribly accurate but passable. For shotguns they present a problem. The guys at Chrony indicate that the muzzle of the shotgun needs to be about 7 feet from the chronograph to minimize the chance that the chrono will read the gas pressure pulse instead of the shot. At that range there is a good chance (Oh, you can just bet there is!!) that some pellets will hit parts of the chrono that were not designed to take that kind of abuse. I have 2 "non-functioning" Chronys that I'll let go cheap.

Morgan

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you are worried about shooting your chrono, buy a Millenium chronograph and be done with it.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Chrony F1 with a piece of plexiglass in front for a shield. They work well enough and seem to be consistent as well. I have several chronographs, but the F1 usually rides along much of the time. As with anything near the muzzle of a gun, you need to protect it from damage. The best way to do that is to be extra careful when lining up the gun. Some small plexiglass shields have worked to prenevet any damage as well. The shields don't have a mark on them, but there are some powder deposits.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

the chrony with the external read unit- think it is a Beta

I have used most every chronograph and the chrony may be the best and the cheapest

regards

Gene

10. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Check Midway and look at the Pact chronograph. They are good ones and just remember something. You get what you pay for.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I've had good luck with Competition Electronics chronographs over the years. They repaired it for me at minimal cost the couple of three times it got in the way of a bullet because of my not taking the time to set up a good rest. I built a simple shield and take a little more time setting up and eliminated that problem. As far as accuracy goes I've had my ammunition checked for velocity by a twin Oehler system several times and the results have always proved correct.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I have a Pro-Chrono digital and I like it.

John C. Saubak

13. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

THT, have you tried the PACT with a shotgun? Since it uses sky screens, my guess is the results will not be consistent.

Mike

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ProChrono, Oehler, Crony all worked for me. Pact didn't. Several trips to the maker didn't help.

Neil

15. Neil Winston

ProChrono, Oehler, Crony all worked for me. Pact didn't. Several trips to the maker didn't help.

Neil

16. Neil Winston

I don't know about this new system here, I click once and it posts three times.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- I have noticed that the new system always posts your comments twice but it does not do that for anyone else. I think it recognizes you as being twice as smart as the rest of us. Unfortunately, that might not be a compliment.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best chronograph for shotguns

best inexpensive chornograph