1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best in Show?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Fritzboy, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Can you imagine that little fur ball winning? The Doberman was magnificent. Real trapshooters like real dogs.

2. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

No I cant believe that pekingese thing won the dog show either. I have a red setter which by the way you wont see at the show because they have the american irish setter on there who probably couldnt point a bird if his/her life depended on it. Thank God someone stepped forward and saved the breed from total extinction.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Obviously you've never been to major trapshoot. More trapshooters have ankle biters than working dogs.

Maybe they are easier to camper break?

4. psfive

psfive Member

Scottish Terriers our indoor dog of choice. Paul in Nebraska.

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

#2 for the Scotties. They have always been my favorite. Pretty damn smart also.

ctreay

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

#3 for those Scotties, we are are on our 4th. Good with kids too. They can be pretty bull headed. Have had Spaniels--German Shorthairs--Hientz 57s in between but always seem to go back to a Scotchman. This one (10 years old) sitting in my foot right now--chuckle--Ross Puls

7. bgf

bgf Active Member

I guess that many on here have never been to a dog show. It is very political and ass kissing. And yes, the Westminster is no different.

Bernie

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bernie,

Kind of like the ATA?

Bob

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

The German Shepard and the Dobie were magnificent.

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I also thought the Dobie was gorgeous and was rooting for it. The Shepard was also a very nice looking dog and would not have been annoyed if it had won.

Tim

11. psfive

psfive Member

Our Scotties allow us to live here with them. As far as they are concerned it's their house. They have the ability to not hear a word you say unless they want to. Paul in Nebraska.

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I was impressed by the dog that won, as it is the house pet of the 15 year old girl handling it, and is just as much at home playing out in the dirt as in the show ring. I know this because I saw the girl and dog on the news one night before they left for the show. The family lives about 35 minutes north of me, and wetre apparently just gobsmacked by the win.

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Dobbie was the best.

Dave

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm still mad that the Beagle didn't win the hound group.

Best bird dog I ever had was a Beagle. It preferred to chase rabbits, but would point quail better than my uppity cousin's high dollar pointer. He is still ticked about that.

15. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

This is my "Best In Show" after he got his first haircut.

Kit
    [​IMG]

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Kit, that is a Field Spaniel, right?

17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Kiv,

No, but you're real close. He's an English Cocker out of Green Bay, Wisc.

My last dog was a field spaniel which we lost several years ago to an ocular tumor. I just finally got up the nerve to start a puppy after losing Toby.

This one is "Hawk" and at just 6-months, he's got some potential. He's a fabulous companion and he already is carving a field like my Tody used to.

18. gold40

gold40 Member

The AKC and Westminister are about "SHOW DOGS" and fat lady handlers trotting around an indoor ring.

Those dogs are very different from the working dogs that most of us use for hunting. That is why other dog organizations such as NAVHDA and NSTRA exist.

gold40

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Kit, Would you share the name of the kennel from which Hawk came? I assume they are field cockers out of field stock. Send me a PM with the details please.

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Gold,

English Cockers are members of the Sporting Group and are regular participants in all of the major international shows. Other noteworthy members of the group are the pointers, the spaniels, the setters, and the retrievers. The main reason dogs are shown is so that breeders can pick from the best in the world to make their breeds stronger. When the judges are feeling all of a dogs "moving parts" they are looking for excellence against the standard, not fleas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.