1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best hunting knife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Aug 31, 2013.

1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I am looking for a belt knife to substitute my 4-inch Gerber folding knife. I was looking at a 5-inch Buck knife which costs $50, but was wondering if there was a better alternative in that price range. I mostly hunt upland game and sometimes feral pigs. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Marbels knives are very good for about the same money as a Buck.

3. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

KBar cant be beat!

4. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

MAH66, I really liked the value of the Kershaw knives. Thanks--might order the Bear Hunter II.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Invest in a custom made knife and you will have something unique.

This knife was made by Gary LeBlanc of Minnesota. It has Box Elder (Maple) handles.

Jim Skeel<br>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_0303.jpg

6. Gregor

Gregor Member

Canadian Belt Knife. Cold Steel makes a new version of this iconic North Woods knife.

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

It's really hard to say anymore. Buck used to be good, as did Puma, the German knife. I don't know where either of them are made now. I imagine the high end models of both are still pretty good. Case made good knives, as did Western and some others. I sometimes make my own, out of tool steel. Older Olsen knives are good as well. Maybe yard sales would be your best bet.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

invest in a good knife. 2 or 3 hundred bucks will get you a hattori. get a good knife. good luck with it

9. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

I've bought knives of most factory brands and I've had knives custom made to my specifications. But unless you are a "knife collector", it's hard to beat one of the Mora knives from Sweeden.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

The Sandvik stainless steel really does take and hold an edge, while resisting corrosion better than many other stainless steels. After finding this brand, I chose a model that I liked and bought four of them. I'll never need to buy another outdoor or hunting knife. -Ed

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

IMHO if you have the patience to put a good edge on a Queen Steel Cutlery knife, they are about as tough as they come! Martinpicker

11. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

The cutco with a serrated blade is best I have found for hogs. Lifetime guarranty if it should ever dull just send it in and they will sharpen all you pay is the shipping. I found them on ebay for 60.00 - 70.00. Direct from cutco they are about 100.00

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a million good choices now and buck and gerber have a bunch of them

Now- just an aside-- a ceramic bladed kife cuts about 5 times easier than metalic at least after 5 mins have elapsed and for all practical purposes doesnt dull even after many many complete animals

Now they can break with side pressure

Boker makes a folding one --once you have used one you wont really want to use any other knife for most of the work

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

2nd on the Canadian Belt Knife. Used one for years, best hunting knife I've seen and it won't break the bank!

Cheers,

George

14. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

My favorite hunting knife. A little harder to sharpen, I use a Diamond bench stone. Holds an edge very well.

anthony12ga_2008_03031.jpg

15. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

If you like the "Canadian Belt Knife" by cold steel (which is made in Taiwan) I would suggest that you really owe it to yourself to check out the original.

I just checked out the cold steel website, it says that it takes inspiration from a 1950s classic. Well, one look is all it takes to know that the cold steel offering is a direct copy of the Grohmann #1, although the grohmann is full tang and I believe the Cold steel is not. Grohmann is a family business which is still making these knives to this day in a multitude of blade geometry and handle material options in Pictou, Nova Scotia. There are also folding versions and do-it-yourself kits available.

Check out their site in the header of this post.

16. steele

steele TS Member

Several years ago, I bought a Cutco serrated edge knife. I was fortunate enough to drop an elk that season. My guide's knife was dull, so I offered him my Cutco. He was flat amazed how it held its sharpness. He remarked, " I never had a knife that I didn't have to re-sharpen doing a elk". When I tipped him, he asked for the knife instead of $$$. They are only $60-70, depending on style. Also a lifetime warranty. Butch from Pgh

17. Tee J

Tee J TS Member

Look at the Russel Belt Knife which is made in Canada, excellent knife.

D.H. Russell designed the Original Canadian Belt Knife. $75.00 today

Puma used to be a great knife, but the last one I purchased was not the quality of the one I bought in the 70's still a good knife.

18. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Quartering has it. The Hattori is the finest you will find if you can spend the $$$. I reaaly like mine but a very close second is my Leech Lake knives by Don Canney. Nothing will filet a fish or cut the backstrap out of an animal any better. Reeds sporting in Walker MN has them for $99 shipped and thats a bargain. Don passed away so supplies are depleting. The pairing knife is outstanding also and less than $50

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get an older Marbles at a gun show if you can. Mine came from my Dad, bought in the 30's.

I also have a Western Folding Hunter from the 60's that serves well for small game and waterfowl usage. Be careful, though, none of that safety lockblade crap here.

HM

Search tags for this page
leech lake hunting knives

scott mclemore knives