1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Hull for Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kehrby, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I like the STS the best but that doesn't mean a darn thing. You are going to get every answer under the sun. Personal preference. Right now I also have a couple thousand Federal hulls that I am going to try out just because they are once fired and they were clean, dry and free!!!

Steve

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would have to say the Remington has the edge these days. I liked the old one piece AA, but will load the new two piece. They are sometimes problematic, but a few minor adjustments and you are good to go. Remington Gun Clubs work too. They are plentiful and usually free for the taking. They load as well as the STS and Nitros. If Federal ever gets their newer hulls straightened out, I'd put them on the list as well. The new smooth design has been known to separate. I've seen a few of them and it isn't always fun to remove them from the barrel.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't shoot but 2 ATAs a year but I do go shoots to hang around and collect Remington Gun Clubs, Winchester AAs and STSs from the shooters and the clubs. I've never paid for a hull and I have so many of both now I may have to find something else to do on weekends for a few years.

MK

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Remington Nitros and Remington STS.

Never a problem and they last up to 8 to 10 reloads.

Charlie

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My vote is the Rem STS hull. The Win AA has alot of problems after they stopped making the good old red hull formula.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I agree with Charlie (Beaver) above....Remington Nitros and Remington STS.

Never a problem and they last up to 8 to 10 reloads. I have tried them all. Regards, Ed

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mr. Daniels:

Here's a contrarian opinion...

Once upon a time I spent WAY to much time messing with premium hulls. I'd drag them home and obsess over condition. That meant inspecting, sorting, and wasting more time and space storing them in separate containers.

I can scrounge more free Gun Clubs, Top Guns, and Estates than I could ever use and they make great reloads. I no longer inspect, sort, and generally fuss over the condition of premium hulls.

IMO, Gun Clubs, Top Guns, and Estates are "best" for those reasons.

sissy

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Federal paper hulls ... when you can find them!

9. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Remington Nitro and STS are my favorites.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Old style AA's, STS's and Nitros are my favorites. I prefer a brass base.

I have messed around some with the Gun Clubs and my opinion is they reload just as well and maybe last longer than an STS. I'm just anal about the brass bases.

If you need some once fired Gun Clubs, I'll hook you up real cheap, let me know.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

STS Remington if you can get them with out too much effort/cost. The Remington Gun Clubs are also a great hull that loads nicely and lasts a long time.

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

STS!! Life is way too short to load AA hulls. (The new ones). Ed

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

As the OP said a wide open question.....

when I PAY for shells/hulls REM STS and Nitros are the IT thing to buy!

When I am picking up the free stuff thats heading for the dump............

first, "will it take the the same components and make a quality reload"

First/A, "will the reloads cycle thru my auto(?) loader"

second, "are there enough to load up a batch that will give me a good long run to reference off of"

My dad was into reloading before the AA's came out. I remember gathering and sorting any every thing we would find on the ground during dove season. after the AA's came on the seen that went by the board.

My dad never did go away from the AA's, under protest he did load some FED champions and papers so that new loads could be kept trac of, both to protect any autoloaders that got a hold of them in are group, and to see how well they performed compared to our groups standard loads.

And again my dad telling me every step of the way I was making a mistake, I would have to try every new hull that came down the pike, "just incase something as good came along".

And then when win went cheap, REM comes along with something that is (almost?) as good as the OLD AA's.

SO now when I know they will not hit the ground I load STS's and Nitro's, and when they will hit the ground any of the one and done hulls I have at the time.

So THE REM HULLS ARE, THE BEST and my favorites, but I load a few others just because, DIFFERENT TASK dif. tool!

AL

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I Like any that has BRASS only---Gold MEDALS RIBd---Love them---STS---AAs great also---Why use a steel?---Hard on the receiver and the loader---I try to watch K-Ohey and pick up his and Debbie's waste---Picked up many STS,s last yr--
    Have plenty for nxt yr and had a blast watching them---What a shooters delight.

MYSTIC---

15. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of folks like the STS the best and I am not going to argue with them as they are probably right. But..... I started shooting again about a year ago, and not knowing any better, I started loading AA - both old and new. In fact, I didn't even know there was an "old" and "new" AA when I started again. I have never had a moments problem with them (the new AA HS) although all the stories about the earliest version of the new AA HS hull concerned me somewhat. We humans tend to forget good news and remember bad news forever.
    Now, I just keep loading them because they are easier/cheaper to get. Often free. They load great and last for many, many reloads. I've never had a problem nor have I actually talked directly to a person who did. I guess what I am saying is, based on my personal experience, either the STS or the AA are excellent choices. Mike Durhan

16. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I started reloading Fed. hulls and found that they would start to open up after a month or two in the boxes. Switched to Rem (Gun Club, Surshot, Nitro, STS, even Sportsman) and havee never had another problem. I get the most loads out of the Nitro and STS 8 to 10 per hull.

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I live in Western Canada and reload exclusively new AA's which I buy here for a reasonable not cheap price. We have a distributor for Winchester ammo while Remington does not so I'm not going to pay a high price for Remington ammo. I do occasionally buy Gun Clubs at a shoot in the U.S. if they are available.

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

AA's. I have no problems with any type of AA's. Load great. Shoot great. Dave T.

19. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Old Remington green Premier. Lasted longer through more reloads than any other hull. For new hulls - any Remington:Nitro, STS, or Gun Club.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

All Remington's are great reloaders including the Dove blacks that I don't think was mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best hull for trap reloading

best hulls to reload trap

what is the best hulls for reloading trap loads