1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Hearing Protection???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JM_KC, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

What type of hearing protection do you use? I would like to upgrade to the consensus best.

Also, I would be interested to hear how many of us have a hearing impairment. I do. 45 years old and I wear hearing aids. I am not sure that mine is shooting related, but I noticed at our club that several of the fellows wear hearing aids when they are not shooting.

Thanks!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm 42 and have the dreaded constant ringing in my head. I'm also getting very hard of hearing. Mine is mostly from pure stupidity from working around and operating heavy machinery without wearing hearing protection. The hearing protection was always provided but i was too cool to wear it i guess. Boy was that a stupid move.

I wear the molded ear plugs. They work great for me. The best protection is the foam disposable ear plugs with ear muffs over them.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Agree. If you really want to protect your hearing, use disposable foam plugs with ear muffs over them. Nothing else comes close! Could have had a Perazi for what my hearing aids cost!

4. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

why not the fitted molded plugs with muffs?

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

fitted molded ear plugs can't begin to do as well as the foam throw-a-ways.

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

E.A.R. Classics(yellow barrel shape) have the highest NRR I've been able to find in a foam throw away. MSC has them on sale right now. Makes Howard Leight look like cigarette filters (if yer old enough to recall)

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Is MSC an internet source? Thanks, Ed

8. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

E.A.R. Classics. The absolute best disposable I've found. NRR numbers are not accurate for comparison. Howard Leight's 32NRR is not even close to EARS 29NRR.

Hang with me for a 12hr shift at a steel tube manufacturing plant if you really want to test your hearing protection.

9. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Take a look at the Howard Leight Max Lite foam ear plugs. I have used the EAR Classic’s for years but recently discovered the Max Lite’s to more comfortable and affective.

Dale
    [​IMG]

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I use the foam throw aways and have for many years, found nothing works as well and I have tried them all at one time or another ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Foam earplugs with muffs is the best.

12. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

$19.11 Shipped at Amazon w/Prime

If you don't have Prime you can get free shipping by ordering 400 pair for $38.22.

13. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

Thanks guys. Good info.

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I switched from custom molded to the foam disposables (E.A.R. E-A-Rsoft) mainly because I suspected that the custom molded were causing recurring ear infections (even though I thought I was taking good care of them). The E.A.R. plugs are superior to any of my molded plugs in noise reduction, comfort during extended wearings AND I have not had an ear infection since making the change. I buy them in bagged pairs usually 100 or 200 pair at a time and use them once in/ once out/ throw away so I may use 3 or 4 pair during a normal 300 bird (100s-100h-50pair d)shoot. During cold weather shoots I put a couple bags in my pocket so that they will be warm when I need them.

The down side. At 63 my hearing is getting worse and with the plugs in I will miss a lot of conversations and because they are neon yellow my wife catches me "NOT listening" occasionally.

--- Chip King ---

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

JM_KC:

I'm another fan of disposable foam plugs. If you go that route, understand they are not all created equal. Some have better noise reduction ratings (NRR) than others. You want the best NRR you can buy in a plug that fits.

Shoes, shirts, etc. come in different sizes because our body parts come in different sizes. The same is true of our ear canals. Some are larger/smaller than others. Foam plugs come in general sizes to match.

Size, shape and surface make a BIG difference. My first exposure to foam plugs was about 40 years ago. My employer provided the yellow E.A.R. Classics mentioned by cnsame above. They worked but they aren't tapered and the surface has a sort of rough texture. I found them uncomfortable and quickly learned to hate them.

It only took a bit of experimenting to determine that tapered plugs with a smooth surface are far easier to insert/remove and much more comfortable to wear.

A box of 200 pairs is relatively cheap and will last a long time.

sissy

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Plugs and muffs in tandem... that's what the pros say is the best...

But as one who never shys away from a bit of controversy... I wear the Health Enterprises Shooter's Ear Plugs - (link above)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know the argument - the NRR rating isn't high like a foamie... but it uses different technology than a foamie - comparing apples and oranges...

I have my hearing tested regularly and I have lost nothing - shooting with these babies for 20 years... (originally, North Sonic II) PLUS when I'm not shooting, I can hear decent conversation.

Best regards,

Jay

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

Exactly right Sissy my first experience with foamies was a terrible one. We were issued the huge ones that were rough and looked for all the world like a piece of bazooka bubble gum plus given zero instructions on how to use them. To say I came away from that hating the foam plugs would be an understatement. The Classics by E.A.R. are a little better but still uncomfortable for my size ear canals. There are purple tapered plugs sold at Walmart in jars of 40 that work OK but they are larger than the EARsofts and not as comfortable (for me) BUT reduce the sound as well. I keep a jar in my car just in case and to pass out to others as needed. The key to these plugs is understanding what size you need and HOW to insert them. I was watching a young fellow shoot one day and watched as he had 2 foam earplugs pop out while shooting. I gave him a couple pairs of mine and took a minute to show him how to roll them between his fingers before inserting them so that they actually went into the ear canal and then expanded. As far as I know he is still using foamies and has had no further problems.

--- Chip King ---

18. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Are there long foam ear plugs available ?

I seem to always push the foam ear plugs in too deep and have difficulty removing them.

Never had the ear plugs come out the other side though.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ESP electronic moulded earplugs.

20. Habib

Habib Member

spitter, Glad your hearing is holding up, but it's not because you are using a magic ear plug with "different technology" that acutally works. The apples and oranges comment is not true. Yours has a piss poor NRR of 18. Your ears must be tuff because they are absorbing a lot of punishment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.