1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best hearing protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BLT4FUN, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLT4FUN

BLT4FUN TS Member

Currently I have been using the little blue plastic ear plugs attached with
    a red plastic line. They have become somewhat of a hassel and would like advice on best option to replace with. Thanks in advance, Drew

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Look for Howard Leight (not sure of spelling) disposable foam earplugs on Amazon.com. They have a noise reduction rating of about 33. Look on internet for best pricing which usually involves buying about 200 pairs. Alternative: look at a pair of ear muff-type protectors...see Midway USA selections or shop around the internet for price on highest noise reduction rating. Best Regards, Ed

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

I went with molded ear plugs through our local hearing center. I can still hear conversations, but the thump-thump from the guns is drastically reduced. No problem on the line at all. I keep them in a small plastic container when not in use and give them a wash-down once in awhile. I thin k they ran me about $45.00. Bright green, so easy to spot if i drop one.Other colors available.

4. TC

TC TS Member

If your number one priority is to protect your hearing so that you don't have to wear hearing aids in 10 years, wear 33db rated foam plugs and low profile muffs.

If this isn't your number one priority, wear something else, look good, and learn not to hear little things like birds and water running etc.

Wish somebody had explained this to me a long time ago!

5. psfive

psfive Member

Above all else wear the most hearing protection you can given the activity in which you participate in. Always wear some kind of protection. Today over all else I hear a high pitched whine-hiss-singing noise in my ears. This noise is always there over any music in the car, sound on the TV and all conversations with my wife and kids. Take care of your hearing OR you can be like me and say ------ what ------ the rest of your life. Paul in Nebraska.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Best to worst ...IMHO

Standard Ear Muffs (Quality Ones)

Electronic Muffs (Pro-Ears)

Disposable Foam Plugs (Howard Leight or E.A.R)

Molded Plugs (done by a real professional)

Molded Electronic Plugs

I use electronic plugs because I did not protect my hearing in my early years and I am now damn near deaf, I wear a regular hearing aide when not shooting. I know that they are not the best protection but without the amplification they give I cant hear anything at all which can be almost as dangerous as no protection. Its a catch 22.

Protect your hearing now, hearing only gets worse whether you shoot or not. This is a scientific fact...YOUR HEARING WILL NEVER BE BETTER THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My hearing aids have limit switches which cut out loud noises below the damaging decibel level. I wear Peltor 7s over those which cut the noise before getting to my hearing aids and this system works dandy for me. It's a PITA when shooting in the summer such as at the Grand but it's the only way I can hear the scorekeeper and protect what little hearing I have left.

You damage your hearing without knowing it's happening till it's practically too late!! I've had hearing problems all my life and take all the precautions I can to help save whats left! You'll be mighty sorry one day if you don't protect your hearing NOW!!

Hap

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

Mark 425, Wow!! I didn't realize the molded plugs were near the bottom on protection.I don't use hearing aides and have good hearing. They seem to protect, as i don't hear or feel the reports from the guns, other than what one might expect, a dull thud, but nothing that gets my attention. Are there differences in professionally molded plugs? I had mine done by a pro and they do fit quite nicely.

I can hear the scorekeeper and can maintain conversations away from the line, as mine had a small hole in them to allow some sound to come through. Are standard muffs that much better and do they get in the way while mounting the gun and shooting? The last time i used any was when i was working the flight deck on the Kittyhawk, many years ago.
    Thanks, JB

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I am a fan of reusable silicone plugs from North - Sonic II. The company has since been purchased and the plugs have a new product name...

The plugs incorporate a canister which stays open during steady sound (not good for steady high db machine noise or similar events), BUT the plugs do cutoff high peak noise as is found at the range from gunfire report.

Listed db reduction ratings are poor, but the ratings do not fairly document the method in which these types of plugs work. However, I have personally used these same types of plugs for nearly 20 years with no documented loss of hearing from my audiologist.

The reason I like and recommend the plugs is that they allow me to hear conversation level sound without having to remove the plugs, yet provide excellent on-range protection!

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cabela's have a nice electronic hearing protection for sale now @ 2 for $39.95
    I bought them and they are slim so they do not hit the stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Hap MecTweaks

If your reason for not using muffs is the noise generated by the stocks comb when moving the gun, you have other problems as well? I thought the same thing many years back and quit using mine for that reason. I now use my Peltor 7s in all but the hottest and highest humidity shooting days. If I hear a comb/muff noise, I've moved my head and hear a nasty word, lost!!

Hap

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

spitter , Throw em in the trash!
    "Listed db reduction ratings are poor" because they are, method makes no difference. I know people who never wear ear plugs and seem to hear ok. They are just lucky. Most of us aren't. Don't use less than 33db NRR.

Hap, The Peltor 7 is nice, I use one pistol shooting.

13. TC

TC TS Member

"Listed db reduction ratings are poor". This is because they are "poor"! I wore these things years ago, big mistake, didn't know any better! Could have bought a nice combo for what my hearing aids cost.

14. Hap MecTweaks

TC, what do you think the db ratings might amount to when used in conjunction with other plugs? I've always used mine with other types of inner ear plugs in addition!

Hap

15. TC

TC TS Member

33db plugs with 24db muffs will not result in 57db's of protection. If I remember correctly, it is around 40db's. The valve type plugs with ratings of 4 to 7db's are criminal in my opinion. Just like the electronic ones, there is a lag before they seal off and then they only provide 4-7db's! Might as well use cigaret butts.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I can't wear muffs. They hit the stock. So I wear Moldex brand expansion foam plugs. They are rated the best protection but don't do anything for occipital protection. I'd like to wear both.

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I wear both foam inserts and Muffs. If you have the right kind of muffs they will not hit your stock. I abused my ears plenty in my younger years and I am trying to take all precautions now. I do have hearing problems that will not get better but I sure don't want to make them worse...SMOKIT

18. SMOKEIT

I wear both foam inserts and Muffs. If you have the right kind of muffs they will not hit your stock. I abused my ears plenty in my younger years and I am trying to take all precautions now. I do have hearing problems that will not get better but I sure don't want to make them worse...SMOKIT

19. SMOKEIT

20. SMOKEIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting hearing protection