1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Handicap Throw Away Shell

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar12, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

What is the best throw away shell for longer range handicap? Many have stated that the shot is not hard or they kick too much. Do papers like Nobel Paper Trap or Dianna paper shells have any advantage over plastic? Just figured out that it will cost me $40 to reload a case of shells with todays component prices. Have to find a handicap shell other than STSs. Gary

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have found that the most inexpensive and the best all around shell for handicap or any shooting at all is SOY's.

Which ones are you currently shooting?

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Well-Known Member

Okay...what is a SOY?

I'm convinced that any shell that will work for 16yd will work for 27yd.
    Will a cheap load (Game/Sport) cost you birds? Maybe.....maybe one in 100?
    Is that one bird worth the extra $10 that the good stuff (STS) will cost you?

Only you can say.

ONE THING: Even the cheap factory stuff is nearly $40 a flat. I'd just keep reloading your pet handicap loads if the cost is the same......if it were me, which it's not.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I buy and use the Estate & Top Gun 1oz. loads for 16's & doubles....then use the hulls for my handicap load (1-1/8 oz. @ 1250 fps).
    Certainly beats the $63.00 for a flat of new handicap loads....and I think my loads are equal to if not better than the new stuff.

Curt - Delaware

5. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

WallyWorld Federal 1 1/8 work fine at the 27. What is really funny is watching guys burn HC loads at the 22.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

SOY's = Some Of Yours

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Continue to stoot the STS's and sell your hulls! Allways a market for STS's. Check out what they sell for on ebay, you might be surprised.

ec90t

8. skinitback777

skinitback777 TS Member

If you put it in the middle any of them will work, I agree with ec90t shoot STS and sell the hulls.

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I like the RIO trap 50's. They are the bilious green ones that seem to be popular in this area. If you were at the PA State Shoot they were lying around in great abundance at the longer yardage stations.

I chronographed them and they are very close to a Nitro 27 and the recoil seems about equal. At the time I bought them they were under $38 a flat but I suspect the next shipment will be higher.

They have high brass and that seemed to be a problem in some guns although my supplier told me that all the newer ones were going to be low brass.

Smash Em,

Jerry

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't quite understand the logic of cheaper throw away shells for handicap. Maybe if you're just shooting for fun and not playing options, but if you're there to win, why wouldn't you bring the best? In competition I shoot Super Handicaps, and for practice I reload with Winchester components and duplicate the factory shells as close as I can.

If I'm going to practice all year, travel however many miles to a big shoot, spend money on a hotel, and spend $100 to $200 on birds and options, I'll spend the extra $8 to $10 on premium shells for a 100 bird event.

Michael

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the cheapie loads for Singles and Doubles but I'm afraid to try em for 27 yard Handicap. My best scores have been shot with my own Green Dot reloads.

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I've started my reloads at the smaller shoots for handicap, but I will continue to use STS for handicap at the larger shoots.

It seems ridiculous to try and save $8 on a 100 target handicap event when I've already spent far more than that just to get to the shoot.

hubcap

13. wareaglehunt

wareaglehunt TS Member

Basspro in Maryland had Nitro 27"s on sale for $4.90 a box.I just went in the other day and bought every box they had.8 flats.Maybe this sale is all over the country at bass pro I'm not sure.Tony

14. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I always use the same shells for singles, doubles and handicap. Either the AA Light Tartget, 7 1/2 or the STS Light Target 7 1/2. If I'm on 'em I hit 'em. I have tried STS Nitro 27, and AA Heavy Handicap. They break the same. The light stuff is lighter on the recoil and quieter. Steve

15. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

A friend of mine shoots 1oz. reloads in singles, doubles and handicap. He never uses anything else. His scores are great with that load. He always says, if you arent on them, you wont hit them no matter what the shell is.

16. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Have many AA hulls saved . wad cost per shell.o14 @ 7.00 bucks per 500
    Powder " " .0045@ 80.00 per 8lbs Clays
    shot " " .12 @ 25 lb 1.125 +355 LOADS
    primers " " .025 @125.00 PER 5000

X 25= 3.025 per box reloads ?
    Is the math correct ?

pAT kELLEY

17. Ted N.

Ted N. TS Member

I agree with JayZap, those max dram Estates in 7 1/2 will crush the targets from any distance, and they are soft shooting also.

Shoot well, Ted N

18. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Federal Papers

19. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

My local gander mountain just had federal papers on sale for 4.95 a box.

20. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I tried some Diana paper shells yesterday and they broke the targets just fine. Mild recoil in the 3 dram loading. $40 a flat. Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 27yd handicap shell