1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best handicap load ever made

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by COBIGGUNJR12, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

I over heard to gentlemen at the gun club today arguing over the best handicap load ever made. One man said the Remington Nitro was while the other said the Winchester Super Handicap loads were the best.

Wanted oppions on this subject All will be appriecated

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Only on here for 3 days and already his has gone fishing. I smell a troll type of question here. Thats like asking a golfer his favorite golf ball. You still want to know the value of your shotgun!! Break-em all. Jeff

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Number one hands down has to be the Federal Paper handicap load but since the majority of us can't afford to shoot them the winner has to be the Super Handicap. Nito 27 a close third.

Matt Ski

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

There really is no "Best" handicap load. Almost all will do a great job of breaking handicap targets as long as you do you job correctly. There are, however, some handicap loads that will work better through YOUR gun than others do. In almost all trap guns I have had, each one preferred one certain load over another. Why? I don't know, but they did. My personal favorite factory handicap load was the old Federal 3 dram paper handicap load in 71/2's. The newer ones, however, don't work as well for me as the Nitro27's do. Most of us just pick the shell we have the best results with, in our gun, and stay with it..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

We shoot alot of Annie Oakleys and at the clubs where you must shoot 7 1/2's nearly everbody is shooting AA super handicaps. If your only shooting your own called birds any load will work if your standing on the concrete but step back by the fence and shoot back ups that are almost on the ground and if restricted to "leagal" loads It's tough to beat the AA super Handicaps. Fiocchi white rhinos and kemen extra 32's are a close second and nitro 27's are near the bottom of the list around here. They just don't seem to break those longer targets consistantly. Too bad the AA's kick so bad

6. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

AA Light 8s (1150fps).

7. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Winchester Super Target, 2 and 3/4, 1 and 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2. 1145 fps

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I load 25.5 gr Solo 1250 behind a CB 3118-12AR wad, Fed 209A primer, 1 1/8 oz Lawrence mag 7 1/2 in a ribbed GM hull, ONLY for Caps.

This load is very manageable in my XT Unsingle, but with an Angleport 40 point bore matched choke from the 27, it is HE(( on wheels.

It DOES shake the ground! LOL

9. strawboss38679

strawboss38679 TS Member

might as well asked 7 1/2 or 8 Nathan

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The terms "best" and "favorite" are not synonymous. If shooting enjoyment is included as a criteria of the best, then Federal paper handicap shells would have to be at, or near the top. Even if you miss the bird, the hulls smell great. Price may not be a good indicator of best, but the Federal shells are the most expensive.

My current favorite handicap shell is Winchester Super Handicap shells. This is based completely on the price ($52 including tax) I got 40 flats of them from Dick's last January.

Pat Ireland

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't know, what does Leo shoot???

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My personal favorite has always been: Federal paper hull, 209A primer, 12S3 wad, 19.5 grs. of 700X.

As Paper's are extremely rare I substitute a Gold Medal hull or Top Gun and/or an Estate Hull.

I use 7-1/2's but 8's will work too....whatever floats your boat!!

Curt

13. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

super target

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

1. Federal Paper Handicap<BR>
    2. Remington Nitro 27<BR>
    3. Winchester Paper Super-Target of the 1970's<BR>
    4. Most kicking was the Black Winchester Handicap

But, know what, it really depends on your yardage.

Shot RXP 8½ to win a Grand American handicap at mid-yardage

15. SR1

SR1 TS Member

My secret load but a factory load I would say Fed.papers

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

It's a three way tie for me:

The old Winchester Paper Super Target 3 dr

Federal Paper 3 dr

Federal Paper hull with 12SO wad, Fed 209 primer, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's, PB or 7625 throwing 1200 fps (lightning fast with little recoil and hard hitting).

17. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

The old black winchesters. 3 Dram 7 1/2's Kicked like hell, but sure broke targets. MnJim

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I can smell em now. The one and only. Trap2, you are correct. The old ones were a lot better than the new ones.

Who remembers what Fed papers cost in 1979-1980? If I remember correctly, we were paying around $4.00 per box if you bought them by the 20 box case. Maybe a little less. $400.00 for 5 cases. Man, that sure seemed like a lot of money then. LOL

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best handicap ever
best handicap loads
best handicap shells made

best handicap trap load

best trap handicap loads
best trap handicap shells
best trap load
federal handicap vs nitro