1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best hand gun for HOME defense

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TommyTEREX, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

chatbrat, as an NRA certified instructor, the advise I always give about a home defence handgun is, USE ANY HANDGUN YOU CAN SHOOT WELL, AND PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Tom R.

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Phil, That`ll work. I`ve seen to many guys get into the macho me bad me need BIG gun, that can`t hit s**t.

My personel is a S&W M36, loaded with wadcutters. It`s not great but it works.

Tom R.

3. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

PS I should add there`s an 870 in the corner loaded with buck. It`s just the wife, and me now, so I don`t have to worry about any kids getting into it.

Tom R.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

First, Tom's dead on; any gun you can shoot well, and I mean very well, is better than none or one too difficult for you to understand or control. Then, as in his choice, the adequate revolver is one heck of a lot simpler to learn, keep skilled with, and tends to be more reliable than the auto-loaders. Then, his choice of ammo is less likely to fly through the target and 3 walls or more to cause unintended damage or injury as the hand cannons can. Regardless, you must shoot it often, keep skilled so use of the gun is second nature, practice realistic scenario's, experience nighttime practice, discuss options and instructions with those in the family, and once the kids are grown and gone, watch out for the grandkids....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

1897 winchester short barreled pump. keep it under the pillow...

Oh, ok, any of the .38/.357 revolvers. no fumbling when your adrenaline is peaking....

Jim

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Any Revolver, Don't Jam. I just have a 38 sp. If 6 of those don't stop the intruder I'll just have to whip his ###. Allen

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

A handgun is a poor home defense weapon. A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 3 dram 7 1/2 loads is the perfect defense weapon. (Less wall penetration and lethal within the small confines of the average home)That can't be argued if the reason for the weapon is for 'home" protection. Ed

8. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Bob, no grandkids yet, when they do arrive the shotgun will be kept out of reach.

Tom R.

9. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I should add for everyones info. DO NOT USE RELOADS, lawyers will make you out to be a blood crazy killer when you wind up in court, and you WILL!, wind up in court even though you were protecting your family, and property, from an intruder that left you no choice but to shoot.

The use of reloads wil be twisted to look as if you were looking for trouble.

Tom R.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaa....all depends what room in the house!

An old SXS with 7 1/2s, a .38, a .357, a .45 ACP or a .44mag!

Yes! I am good with all of them!

11. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

A pump shotgun. 20 gauge has less muzzle flash, report, and will work fine in close quarters. Have everyone in the house,who is old enough, practice with it.
    Bluerock1

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

To chatbrat,

I must ask what kind of 22lr ammo do you get 208 ft. lbs. of energy with. Even the CCI Stinger is rated at 191 ft. lbs. and that is out of a rifle length bbl.

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

An unloaded gun is a hammer or a paper weight. I think it might be better to be able to put some lead down range rather than have some come up range, don't you think Bob? This is especially true when you're defending your family.

Steve

14. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Bob, your right it`s not the safest thing to have a loaded firearm in the house. But in the middle of the night, after being awakened from a sound sleep, I for one don`t want to be fumbling around loading up. I don`t have a round in the chamber of the 870, but the mag is full, so I can rack the slide, and be ready. Also I agree the sound of a shotgun slide, or a bolt going home, is unmistakeable.

Tom R.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I still depend on my 4" Python full of Black Talons..what I hit will drop and die

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "I should add for everyones info. DO NOT USE RELOADS, lawyers will make you out to be a blood crazy killer when you wind up in court, and you WILL!, wind up in court even though you were protecting your family, and property, from an intruder that left you no choice but to shoot."<br>
    <br>
    Uh, can anyone cite an actual case where this actually happened?

17. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

45 ACP REVOLVER. FULL MOON CLIPS.
    POSITIVE, SAFE, ACCURATE, DEPENDABLE, LETHAL AND IN ANY ORDER YOU LIKE.

18. Loyac

Loyac Member

This Mossberg has been leaning against my bed for the past 20 years. God help the person who puts me in a situation where I would have to use it... John

19. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

12ga flair pistol with buckshot

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

34" Baseball Bat. Goes off every time, can't short stroke it, never runs out of shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.