1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Gunsmithing book?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by truthseeker, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I am looking for some instruction/pictures for how to accomplish the following:

How to fit an "inletted stock" to the receiver and forend.

I bought a 2 sets of stock's and forearm's from Macongunstocks.net and I am going to do the "fitting" myself, then send it off to have the checkering and finish applied.

I have all the tools (files, orbital sander, sanding blocks, chisels, etc...) and I bought one "cheap set" to practice on and one "good set" that will be going on my shotgun.

Any comments or recommendations for books that will be of value to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Trial and error. When I first got started I was working on rifles and got myself some high quality small fine wood rasps and bought some bottoming tools from Brownells and then made myself some scrapers out of spade type wood drill bits that I ground, heated and bent. Also get yourself some "Prussian Blue" from a good parts store to show high spots you'll need to scrape to get the correct fir....and go slow!

Good Luck!

Ron Burr

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

MK,

He bought a cheap set of wood to practice on, not a cheap set of tools. HMB

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Brownell's sells a few books, some of which might have sections that cover wood fitting. Go to as many gun shows as you can - there's always used and new gun-related books for sale, sometimes out-of-print titles too. While at the show look at as many of the same guns as the one you have to observe wood fit & finish, most especially if they have been fitted with custom stocks. It's easy to take wood off - much harder to put it back. One thing I learned is that having the wood slightly 'proud' of the metal is pretty much the way it's done. Once you get the stock the way you want it and are ok with the metal-to-wood fit, use a tiny bit of Brownells bedding compound to bed it. Call Brownell's and get their catalog - you'll learn a lot simply reading thru the tool descriptions.

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Here's a couple: "Home Gun Repair", Parker O. Ackley, Stackpole Books (I have a first printing); "Professional Care & Finishing of Gun Metal", John E. Traister, Tab Books (again 1st printing); Brownells Gunsmith Kinks Four - these books are terrific!!! "The Shotgun Book", Jack O'Connor, Knopf, 1968 printing; "Comprehensive Shotgun Shooting with Fred Etchen", Fred Etchen, Standard Publications, 1946 (first printing again) + about 150 other shooting & reloading books. And a few others that I loaned out and never got back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gunsmithing book

best gunsmithing books

gunsmith kinks book