1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Gun Safes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by concordefamily, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Getting ready to move and wanted to know what kind of Gun Safe I should get when I get into my new house? Ideally it will hold 15+ long guns. Thanks, Matt

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do not know the best, BUT my next safe purchase will start with fortnox or liberty, every other safe I have seen all look to be made the same. fortnox seem very very well built. Seen at a gun show few years back. Price was up there. Keep your eyes open for jewlery stores going under. Check WantAd often. If I had $$$ and the ability to move 1500lbs + on short notice I could have picked up some really heavyduty safes. Owell. Also my next project just might be a WalkIn vault??? or gunroom. For now I have the century 15gun safe bolted down with 1inch bolts, not the crap they give you. The one used to bolt down large car lifts and such. Then I built a heavy duty cabinet around it. All I can tell you is I wish it was 8 times bigger. I may by Another small safe for the guns I do not use????

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

In my opinion, the three best are Fort Knox, Cannon and Browning. Can't go wrong with any of them. Garrett

4. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

i have a Liberty 34 gun safe... its large enough for what i need and is very well built... the finish is very durable and easy to keep clean

HT

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Take a look at AMSEC American Security. Go with the BF Series. (Burglar Fire rated. You will not be disappointed.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

7. harryt

harryt TS Member

I purchased a Champion gun safe, the Crown series about 5 years ago. I am very happy with it. Weighs 1600 lbs. empty and fire rated for 1500 degres for 105 minutes. More than enough to survive a home fire. Just my opinion.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Heritage Safe Company, Grace, Idaho.

9. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

www.sportsmansteelsafes.com

Just ordered Frontier F3 model, with a bunch of upgrades. 2" jigsaw door, 1/4" steel plate exterior, etc.

Looked at all of the better models. The truth is the high-end versions from everybody are very good, and the cheap ones are cheap.

Buy bigger than you think you need.

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

A buddy just bought a safe from a businees auction. We are custom building the shelves and gun racks for the interior since it was a cash vault for a supermarket. I figure it will hold about 25 to 30 long guns on 1 side and enough shelving to hold all the ammo and pistols one would own.

Cost $200 at auction
    delivery by safe mover $250
    Custom interior about $150, I'm guessing.

The best part no need to bolt down, the safe move said without a forklift it's not going anywhere.

11. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

I like the Liberty with the thick metal, mines a 35 gun, if I were to buy another it would have a electronic digetal? lock, eyes go bad as you age...Rick

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I really like my Fort Knox. And they even sent me free touch up paint to repair the damage done by an unsuccessful burglar. This safe paid for itself by over 20 times in that one incident.

Bob

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

National Security which is Liberts top line. Expensive but great safe and one of the most beautiful looking you will find

14. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

I had a nice Fort Knox 18 gun safe and it didn't do much good. Someone broke into my house in south Florida and took the whole safe.
    They used my hand cart that was in the garage (tires were flat so they used my small bicycle hand pump to air the tires then they loaded my safe into the back of my SUV and made their getaway. Luckily, there were no trap guns in the safe but there was a K80 o/u barrel and a couple of handguns. This happened yesterday.

Snookassassin, Clif Adams

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The locking mechanism differs greatly among safes. I have a Liberty which is probably adequate but is not very good compared to a Fort Knox, probably the best, or a top of the line Browning. Some are very flimsy. Liberty has one of the best finished safes. Smooth flat panels and great paint job. So many safes have warped panels and grind marks. Get at least 3/16" sidewalls and a heavy thick door. Have the dealers show the locking mechanism inside the door before choosing. That's where the big difference is. The electronic locks are nice but I hold my breath everytime I open mine since the first one broke [ luckily with the door open].

16. steele

steele TS Member

I bought the Fort Knox Yeger model, anticipating 35 long guns. Well, you can get 35 long guns in there, but it's like a chinese puzzle. You have to pick & choose each spot perfectly to make everything fit. Don't get me wrong, I love the safe, its just that the advertised capacity is a little misleading. If you want it to hold 15 guns, get one that is built to hold 25 & you should be ok. I ended up buying a 2nd safe, just so the guns wouldn't be too close & bang together.

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Liberty.

18. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Agree with MUZZLEBLAST - advertized capacity is not to be believed. 16 gun models are on the small side and things like mounted scopes, bolts, and barrel lengths have a way of eating up space that belongs to another gun in the count. Get a 24 gun safe to hold 15 guns because you also do not want to start banging into the other guns when trying to get old betsy in or out. (Guns don't need more dents and scratches.)