1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Gun for young shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Deanoo, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanoo

Deanoo TS Member

Whats the the best started gun for a 12 year old to trap shoot with ? what would be best if you could get any gun for a Youth....
    And what gun with a budget --something used is best ?, my budget is under $600 ?

2. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Beretta makes a 3901 for small stature shooters. Short stock with spacers to add as they grow. Adjustable comb. My Granddaughter is 10 and shoots hers with Kemen 1oz loads. Less recoil than my 20ga. Allen

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rem 1100 LT-20 Youth (used) or 1187 LT-20 Youth (new).

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You just might find an older Remington 1100 sitting in someones safe. A 28" barrel choked mod. will be fine for him to start. It won't cost you anywhere near the $600.00. They only made a million of them. Stocks are cheap. Find one and have it cut to length with a good recoil pad fitted.

You can try a 12 ga. with lite 1oz. loads or look around for a 20. The smaller ga. will cost you a little more than the 12 ga., but you can always put the original stock back on and use the 20 yourself for dove season when he grows into a 12ga. Then the fun really starts. You have to pay for the BOTH of you. Good Luck!

AJ100

5. pjh

pjh Member

The guns are important but let me add PLEASE no heavy shells. eevn though they are cheap NO 3 dr shells. I see too much of that at my club. PJH

6. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

maclellan1911<br> Beautiful Wenig stock you have there! What is the dimension that you have from the trigger to the heal of the pistol grip? I have a Beretta 3901 28" at my house ready to give back to the junior high girl who owns it. Trap season finished and tomorrow we have our fun shoot. This 3901 measures about 2 3/4" from the pistol grip to the center of the trigger. This distance is smaller than on my BT99 micro which has the shortened LOP but standard pistol grip. The junior high shooters (both guys and girls) love this little gun. We have about 4 or 5 of these guns (some are on year 2) and they have worked well. The LOP is stated as 12.5" but only has about a 1/2 pad which I feel is a little light for constant trap use. I got to use this gun in leagues on Wednesday night and got 22 from the 16 and 18 on doubles. I changed the standard choke (IC) to modified for this. We will try some 7/8 ounce Orange Downrange loads tomorrow at the fun shoot with this gun. Recoil is low with the right loads. Will report back after I try the 1 and 7/8 oz. loads.

7. omahasportingsupply

Nice. How does she like the palm swell?

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

The advice from AJ100 is Excellent! An 1100 using lite 7/8 or 1 oz. loads will break targets and not your budget. Find a short stock or one to cut off...should run $25 - $40. When the shooter grows taller, put the original stock back on. I did this with both my sons and they have no interest in a 20 ga. Best Regards, Ed

9. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i started with a 12 gauge remington 870 shooting 1 oz loads when i was about 8-9 i shot my first 25 with that gun, it easy on the budget and a reliable good hunting gun. if later they want something a little more fancy if you buy used and keep good care of it you should be able to get what you paid for it back and put that towards there next gun.

10. omahasportingsupply

Went to the youth fun shoot today. I loaned a 3901 out today to several junior high girls. they beat their fathers badly with it. They kept saying: "It feels funny" as they continued to smoke rocks. It has the adjustable comb and the close pistol grip. One little girl had tiny hands and she still handled it like a pro. Her dad just shook his head as his daughter was trouncing him badly. I suppose all the fathers hate me, but the look on the kids faces was.... PRICELESS!

After we wore the kids out, I got to cycle some 7/8 ounce Downrange wads through this 3901 Beretta with a Mec 33 bushing using Hodgdon's clay. Ink ball after ink ball and the gun and the load were flawless. Little recoil even using the stock 1/2 inch pad. I am amazed at this combination. Since my test results cannot be considered conclusive, I will have to return this week and retest again to make sure those ink balls were not just lucky shots. ROFL. Your ink balls may vary. Smoke with a kid.... at your local trap range!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best guns for young trap shooters
best handgun young shooter
best shoot gun for a young shooter
best shotgun for small stature shooter
best trap gun for highschool age girl
good trap gun for young shooter

shotgun for young trap shooter

young trap shooter gun