1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best gun for raffle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hi all. Starting a trap team for the Minnesota league at my High School this spring. For the end of the season we want to raffle off a trap gun. In public opinion what would be the most bang for our buck? Somenone will be very happy because of this suggestions this spring.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Browning BT99 with 34" barrel(little on the higher price end for a local raffle gun) or a Remington 870 Trap with 30" Barrel. That's if you want to raffle a Trap gun. We usually raffle field guns like a Remington 870 or Remington 1100. We have had several raffles for our HS Trap team and it is best to also offer cash prize as well. We usually make the cash offer slightly less.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

A lot depends on how much you have on hand to spend up-front for the gun. Then consider the demograpic your young shooters are selling chances to. If you are planning to sell chances mainly around trap clubs then a trap gun would be acceptable. If you are branching out to the general public you should consider the type of guns that are commonly used for hunting in your area.

After that look at what is popular among shooters now. I would love to win one of these Henry rifles myself. Made in the USA and really a nice looking guns.

4. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like grntitan, we initially raffled trap guns. We found field guns to be easier to sell tickets. Local gun stores helped us out as well with the purchase/donation of a gun(s) to raffle.

Good luck. Count us in on the raffle for the Youth program.

Bud

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If the tickets are reasonable you will probably sell a few right here on TS, a lot of us make donations to youth & jr. shooting organizations in our own areas and if I remember correctly this has been done here before.

As mentioned above you might consider something commonly used in your area (and or) reduced cash value, this might appeal to a larger group. Good Luck & THANKS for your time--effort & $$ for the youth groups, I'm quite certain you put a few of your own $$$$ into this venture. Most in your circumstance put a lot of blood-sweat-tears & $$ into their endeavors. Ross Puls

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Best bang for the buck, and you want a trap gun? Hands down the Browning BPS Trap.

Wayne

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

last raffle gun i won was a 30 guns in 30 days raffle,,my day was a rembolt not 700,, in 270 win, non in stock,, soi tok one i would never buy for myself a 300 win mag... no one gun will make all happy,, but if a dealer is willing to work with you ,, a choice of shot gun , rifle or pistol might work, with a cash option for non shooters

8. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Our club raffled off a 28 gauge gun and had great success with it. Most people would like to have one but generally wont buy one for themselves. Also henry golden boy works well.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have two Henry rifles and the actions are like the workings in a fine watch

10. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

Matt,
    I think people here are giving you some good, experienced, advice. Our club had several raffles to buy a new Pat trap and voice release. We learned right off the pool of people wanting a trap gun is pretty small. We didn't purchase our guns until the winner decided they wanted it, some took cash instead. The best part about this is the winner of our guns could pick the caliber they wanted and then we ordered them what they wanted. This was fun for them getting to pick. Good luck, Roger

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our annual raffle 1st prize is typically a BT99, but we also offer a lower "cash" option if the individual wants to purchase a different firearm or just take cash (i.e. $750)... a local dealer offers us good price on the gun...

We also offer a 2nd firearm (typically a Classic Trap) and again a lesser cash option...

Our raffles typically offer "4 bites at the apple"... we sell 400-500 tickets

Jay

12. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

1100 field gun with the laminated stock $600-$650

13. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

Recently had a raffle for the BT99 and tickets sold like hotcakes. I don't think you would have any trouble unloading BT99 tickets IMHO.

Pitt

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If all the tickets are going to be sold to trapshooters, a single barrel, single shot gun is OK. But if trying to sell tickets to anyone/everyone, use a 391 sporting gun or similar.

When thinking about a raffle, consider the price of the prize, who the target pigeons are, how much will the the pigeons pay for a ticket, how many tickets must be sold to break even, etc.

15. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! The raffle will be open to the public and will consist of a gun or money prize and I am hoping with the club to also do some memberships. The proceeds after the cost of raffled items is going to go to raising money for the group so it is more affordable and appealing to us High School kids. And also so we could hopefully give scholarships to students who would not regularly be able to afford it.
    Thank you so much everyone!
    Matt

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The best gun is what ever the hunters in your area use. Just because you shoot trap doesn't mean its the best gun to raffle. Buy a gun that will get the most interest from the town. In other words the gun that will sell the most tickets.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Benelli 390, Stoeger 2000 and a golden boy Henry all work good for raffles. We also allow a substitute like a Marlin 270, 30-06. Jackie B.

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

rather than pigeonholing yourself with a particular model of trap gun or caliber of hunting rifle, it seems to me you would attract more raffle ticket interest with something more ubiquitous. something like an ar15 or a 1911. good luck with it

btw, who pays the federal gift tax on the prize?

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're looking to raffle off a "TRAP" gun it'd be hard to go wrong with a BT99.

John C. Saubak

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

the purpose of a raffle is to raise revenue. the cool factor, popularity and/or practicality of the prize is what drives ticket sales. you'd probably sell more tickets for a snowmobile than you would a trap gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gun for a raffle

best guns to raffle

best hand gun for raffle
donating a gun for a raffle
good guns for raffles
gun to raffle off
midwayusa gun raffle
what kind of gun to raffle