1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best gun cleaning story *********

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tumbleweed, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When I was about 12-14 years old, my dad and I would finish the chores around the farm and join up with the neighbors for some coyote hunting. This was the 4x4 pickup and CB radio style coyote chase and the dogs usually worked best right after a fresh snow. We were listening to the CB trying to locate the hunters in the area and Dad pulled his trusty Sears and Robuck pump 12 ga. off the rack behind the pick-up seat and it looked like a solid chunk of rust. A few minutes later I looked over by the fuel barrel and he had the pump fired up and he hosed the gun down with a few gallon of fuel and worked the slide a few times. After about 5 gallons of #2 off-road fuel and a good blowin' off with the air nozzle he was ready to go coyote huntin'!

If he ever offers to clean your new Kolar you might want to decline.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    My dad bought several guns on the cheap, un seen for 250.00 A couple of SxS winchester semi auto 12g and a few rusted pistols. When delivered and opened I remember him not being to happy, then he started cleaning them. In one side by side there where bills rolled up tight in both chambers. If i remember right it was about 175.00 bucks. I was 9. when removing the dry rotted recoil pads on the SxS 2 rolls of 1920 nickles, my dad collected coins so this was a plus, Now the story did change a bit in the later years, dad might have been pulling our legs. He did end up selling the 2 pistols for 80.00 and parted ways with the 2 SxS in trade for a 30 06 bolt action. The winchester is still in the closet. Cleaned up nice but just never cycled well.
  3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    I gave my father-in-law a 20 gauge Remington 1100 for his birthday in 1972. He hunted with it for four years and passed it down to his son in 1976 when he got cancer and could no longer hunt. The son hunted with it for over 30 years and he must have used it 25 to 30 times per year.

I was with my brother-in-law when he killed his first deer with it in 1978. His factory often had non-productuin days and he loved to hunt. He killed rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves, wood ducks, wood cocks, crows and even a Wilson snipe with it.

One morning, about 1998 or so, on a quail/rabbit hunting trip, the 1100 refused to fire a second shot at a rise of quail. I removed the forearm and what a mess. The action bars and sleeve over the magazine tube were covered with rust, dust, feathers and plain old crud. I bet that you could make at least 2 quail from all of the feathers that were present.

I asked him if he ever cleaned the 1100 and he said that all he and his dad ever did was to squirt a little 3 in 1 oil on the action bars. It turns out that he was raised on break action single barrel shotguns and never knew how to take an automatic shotgun apart. The 1100 always worked so all he ever did was to wipe down the exterior and put it into a case. The case spent a lot of time in his car trunk.

Since we had driven about 50 miles to our hunting location, I cleaned off as much crud as I could in the field and sprayed down all the moving parts with WD-40. I also put some Kroil on the action bars and bolt assembly. After this quick maintenance, he was able to continue hunting with it that day.

At home, I completely disassembled the 1100 and soaked all of the action group, bolt and moving parts in mineral spirits. Once I got most of the crud off, I brushed on Kroil and used steel wool on the magazine tube and inside of the sleeve over the magazine tube to remove the rust.

The 1100 cleaned up fairly well except that a lot of finish on the receiver, barrel and action bars was gone. However, the interior of the 26” IC field barrel was perfect.

I returned the 1100 to him and showed him how to maintain it. It shot like a new gun and he was deadly with it. He used it for many hunts until his death earlier this year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.