1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best GPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Need to get a GPS for summer travel. Just used my daughters Garmin in New York City and it worked ok but had a little trouble getting to Liberty Park, finally made it on time for ferry. Lot's of experience on this site and I appreciate the knowledge base here.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Garmin is a good unit. I bought one and Im very happy.

3. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

TomTom hands down you will not be dissapointed

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I heard TOM TOM'S aren't very reliable. Have a Garmin and love it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Garmin is very good. HMB

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have a Garmin and get along with it just fine. It upgrades very easy over the net. It has a couple of options that I don't use, but I'll get around to using them one day.

BTW I have a Nuvi 760.

ss

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Garmin- have had a Nuvi 760 for a couple of years now-

mine has the larger screen and bluetooth- which is very nice- with blue tooth it connects your cell phone to phone numbers already programed in it

For example- you want to stop somewhere maybe 100 miles ahead- you use the garmin to find hotels and as you drive- the bluetooth dials them- and you can talk to the clerks and compare rates and features- etc

Get a unit with a bigger screen- I have used the smaller ones and much harder to look at while you are driving

8. roundRiver

roundRiver TS Member

Depends on how you are going to use it. If it is in the car the Garmin or TomTom are fine. Get the widescreen version and skip the bells and whistles. I have had one in my vehicle for the past 3 years and have loved it, but...

Last summer I got an iPhone and have been coverted to it for directions and mapping. It is the next level. I hear the Droid is the same way. Google is now offering free directions now on their app.

In the next couple years you will see a rapid decline in costs and models for the dumb units. Why would anyone spend money on something you can get for free on your phone?

9. copper

copper Member

We have both Magellen and Garmin started 7 years ago with Megellen find the Magellen has better directions better routs, Dave

10. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I've used a TomTom fort he last 2yrs without any problems. What ever one you end up make sure it says the street names rather than just "turn left". You'll need to read the fine print in the advertising to make sure you get the right one. I've done a bunch of cross-country and heavy city driving (D.C. & NYC) and that feature alone is worth the extra $$$.

11. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

I chose a Tomtom Go 940 Live. Tech Support could not have been better, Works perfectly all the time. Better than the one in my Infinity. Voice recognition is great!

Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.