1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best GPS for car use only.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

What is the best portable g.p.s. for car use only for the money? thanks in advanve Don

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My son has the $199.95 Tom Tom and very satisfied with it, it even has county rds programmed into it.

Dr.longshot

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

The one that costs the most- DAH

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Don- I recently bought a TomTom One 3rd Edition, and have had good luck with it so far. They were blowing it out on black friday for $150, however, I missed the sales (and the lines LOL), but picked one up on ebay for $1 more than it would have cost locally if I included tax. There are cheaper units out there, but after hours of research, I think this one gives you the most for your dollar. I've yet to go anywhere with it that I didn't know where i'm already going, but it hasn't steered me wrong so far. I don't travel extensively, but when I do, even if i have maps, if I miss a turn or something, i'm LOST (i missed a turn one time going to a gunshop about 2.5 hrs southeast of home, and it was almost 45 mins away before I figured out for sure i'd missed the turn). I figure what I save in gas will eventually cover the cost of the gps. Its also nice when i'm out somewhere and want to make it somewhere else i hadn't planned on going quickly w/ out backtracking. Alot of times i'm out of town and think "hey, I want to go to..... because i'm in the area", but have no idea how to get from one place to the other.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

As an aside (dr's comment about the county roads reminded me), one small issue I've had w/ my tomtom is that sometimes a road will be listed by the CR or SR # in the directory on the gps, and sometime by the street name (EX Main St/CR 15), and sometimes it wants, and will only take, the street name, sometimes the county route number, so if I road goes by a name and a number, and you only know one or the other, you may not be able to find it in the directory, if thats the case you'll have to call your destination and see if it goes by a number if you have the name, or vice versa.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the model number would be, but the brand name will be Garmin.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Garmin nuvi 260 model or a Magellan. they know something about GPS. But whatever you buy, always get Text-to-Speech option that will not only announce the distance to your next turn, it will also announce the name of the street that you will be turning onto. If you want lots and lots of info - try the GPS store

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a Tom tom. Gives a ton of info for 199.00 almost to much for me. The more I use it the more I figure out what it can do. Has been great so far. I plug it in once a mounth for the free downloads.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've got the Garmin "Harley-Davidson" special edition model (got as a gift from sis, who works for them). This last Sept I went on a 5000 mile round trip, to OR, to Reno, Salt Lake City, to Yellowstone, to Deadwood SD, and back to MN. There were only two spots that were incorrect.

The Garmin told me, as I came to an interstate exchange, to bear to the left. I moved to the left lane only to find too late that I needed to ramp to the right first.

The other error showed me driving "off" the highway.

All in all, I really liked it. The woman's voice was pleasant, though my wife thought it was annoying.

Doug

10. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

If you all get the chance, check out the LG line of GPS'. They have larger screens, 4.3" and have great turn by turn voice directions. Easy to load new updates and great touch screen controls. I did a lot of research to find a GPS with the best of all features but not the cost of some of the higher end units. My cost wasa little over $200.00 at Circuit City.

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have the Lowerance iWay 500c. Like the large screen. For the most part it does a good job. Jake

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a Garmin 350 and really like it except for one thing. It does not give lat and lon. I have a Magellan Gold series that shows the roads and can switch to another screen and it will give you lat and lont. I use the Magellan for hunting and fishing because most locations are given with Lat and Lont and they don't do you any good with the 350 and Tomtom's that I have seen. Jackie B.

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

GARMIN nuvi. i have two of them and they are the best. Wife has one and I have one.

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought a Garmin Street Pilot, took it out of the box and used it to get from home to Racine WI. via. Michigans UP. It calls out streets by name vs. just "turn left in 500 feet" It's extremly accurate even way up in Yooperland or through the big city. Took us right to our destination and when we got here I hit the lodging button and it came up with about a dozen motels within a mile of so of our location.
    Never thought I'd use one, but now I'm hooked.

15. willing

willing Member

I just read an article which said that the Tom-Tom had a SPEED warning. I think that would be good for me. Anyone have experience with this?

Bill

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If your cell phone service supports a GPS service, get that. I have Verizon Wireless and it works as well as my Garmin.

17. jimx200

jimx200 Member

From other members of in our kayak club, Garmin is the favorite with easy to reach customer service. Now if companies like Sprint and Comcast knew what customer service means, they might actually gain customers instead of them leaving. Rant over.

18. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have a magellan 4040, after 2 wks it wouldn't charge. I called customer service and sent it in for repair. 6 phone calls and 10 weeks later I got the unit back.
    I have not been impressed by the performance of the unit for the money.

19. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I have the Lowrance Iway 500 and am very happy with it except when the little voice calles me stupid for missing the turn off.
    Dan

20. redix

redix TS Member

I've had my Garmin Steet Pilot 330 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=6385) for over 2 and a half years years & am very happy with it. It works better than the unit in my German car. The Garmin mal-functioned once & I sent it in for repair. The company replaced it with a brand new unit.
    Up-dates can be downloaded for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.