1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST FISHING LINE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Opions on fishing lines. Had mine redone 2 years ago, been keeping the rods/ reels in the house, but during vaction I put htem in the barn, noting but trouble since, kinking, spirals ( looks like a slinky).Any help. ?
    Railroad.

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

that stuff does have a shelf life so to speak as a far as getting a memory (coils, spirals etc).

most line I know of will get a memory after more than 1 year on the reel. Some much quicker and some maybe not so bad.

unfortunately there is no one answer fits all, kind of like shotguns... it depends on the intended use.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use the Spiderwire on everything now

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

To calvinmd, Any special type spider wire. normally bass & crookers, PONDS & CREEKS??
    Railroad

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Spiderwire is the last thing I would use for that application. There are any number of braided lines that perform a LOT better than Spiderwire. My personal preference is Power Pro, it doesnt dig into itself nearly so badly as Spiderwire.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Trilene XL (extra limp). There is a product to put on your old lines to renew the flexibility of the line. Comes in a small plastic bottle. Bulge.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Anything along the lines of "Does Preasure Efect Rekoil" (sic) usually works pretty good...

8. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    I've been using Bass Pro brand Excel for 15+ yrs now. It's great monofilament for the money, but stored in heat, all mono will break down. Keep it in the fridge right next to the nightcrawlers and your wife's favorite yogurt!

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I've been using Spiderwire Invisibraid line for the last 2 years and its really great stuff. No problems on baitcasters or spin rods. Use a flourocarbon leader a couple of feet long and you'll really like the sensitivity of the line and the invisibility of the leader.

Bob

10. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

11. Copper46

Copper46 Member

Try using ReelMagic on your spool,It works. Also you can run spool under the hottest tap water you can stand, it will give the line new memory.Try it.

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I can't stand anything but stren. Never had good luck with berkely. Old School stren has low memory and good strength.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

For the average fisherman, I would recommend either the old standards of Trilene XL or the original Stren. I prefer the Trilene XL as that is what I grew up with.

Now, as to specialty line, it all depends on the specific purpose. Tournament bass fishing in heavy cover requires very strong line and many of the bass fisherman use spiderwire or a similar braided line.

I mostly fish for Bluegill with ultra lite to lite jigs. I find that Cabela’s imports a line from Germany (originally West Germany) called Tectan. It is not cheap but it is super limp, ultra thin, has little stretch and is near invisible in water. It casts far and has little spool memory. On the downside, it breaks down real fast in use due to ultra violet light so I re-spool often. But boy, does it allow you to work small baits.

If you look at any of the major manufactures you will see different characteristics that are practically opposites. Limp is not tough and tough is not limp. Clear is hard to see and fluorescent is highly visible, especially under black light for night fishing.

For plastic worm fishing, I used to use Trilene XT in a fire green color. It did not seem to offend the fish with its color, the XT finish made it good around rocks and the high visibility feature allowed its use at night and even in daylight, you could see a strike before you felt it.

If you only fish a few times a year and have someone fill your reels with line, I would suggest an annual line replacement with Trilene XL or the original Stren. IMO, these will be the less costly and most widely available lines.

Ed Ward

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

In Saltwater fishing Ande is the only line to use. As for Braided line I too like the power pro as well. Nothing wrong with the others just that you get little extra from the line at twice or more for the cost. Now fishing in fresh water there are so many monofilament lines out there its a tough call to make without knowing what type of fishing your doing. That is why that make so many different ones. Live baiting, plug casting )surface, diver) carolina rigs, jigging, type of cover your fishing in, and line size to fish size makes abit of difference as well. One thing is for sure heat and the ultaviolet rays of the sun break down monofilament fishing line in a hurry. The other thing not mentioned on this thread is that monofilament line will streach with a fish on and will do so only once. Once streached that line will break when tested on a fish the second time. This makes a big difference if you like to fish for 10 pound bass with 2-4 pound line. If you catch alot of 2-3 pound fish with 30 pound test not a big deal. Braided line is good for bottom fishing because of the no streaching of the line and the ulta sensitiveity you get with it. But it is a trade off because the fish can see it in clearer water during the daylight hours. No big deal at night. Tight lines and Break-em all. Jeff

15. 1oz

1oz Member

Trilene XL guess its worked for 30 years why change . not saying theres nothing better just aint had a need to change

16. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

Gene

17. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

I love spiderwire on my baitcasters and catfish rigs for bottom fishing and trolling. It works best with a good rod with good guides. It gives great feedback and positive hook sets.

On the less expensive rods (cheap guides) or lightweight spining I go with a mono.

Depending on conditions you can also tie in a mono leader to a braided line.

Set up will alo depend on hook type.

This is what I use for freshwater and inshore saltwater.

Garry

18. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Spray a mono line with WD-40 it will help it stop coiling up on ya or if your in a boat let out 50 yrds or more depending on reel size of line in the water with nothing on the line and just run the boat slow for about 2 mins that will fix it to.

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Any braided line is good for salt water fishing especially trout fishing with a cork as they float so it's easy to get the slack out. Power pro is my favorite. To me the best all around fresh water line is green Berkley Big Game, inexpensive and holds up good. Also can spray mono line with WD40 and it will float as well as fluerocarbon. I used to fish tournaments before I opened a sporting goods store and spooled thousands of reels with Big Game and many fisherman came back and wanted to know what line I had put on as they really liked it. I didn't have time to fish for a long time but I'm back at it again. The major two problems with braid are that you must spool a few yards of mono on the spool first as braids will slip on the spool. The other thing is they kink and that will become a breaking point. Oh, and I forgot about bedding. When you catch a good size fish the line will bed into itself and then you have to cast it out to where it will cast normal again. Jackie B.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

School Teacher, Tectan is the best line I have found. It's about all I use for bass fishing, though I haven't found it to break down as quickly as you say.

4 lb green Trilene is my favorite for the bluegill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.