1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best finish remover I've ever used.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 16, 2013.

1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best finish remover I

I've done my fair share of wood refinishing - even operated a Furniture Doctor business for a time. It is always a messy job and the chemicals are a big problem - especially on small areas with detail (like checkering).

Today I used Klean-Strip in a spray can to remove the finish from a comb. I bought the spray can because it was the least expensive on the Local ACE shelp. I planned for the worst scene: over spray, splotches, smell, etc. What I got was a clean application of foam that worked EXACTLY as it should.

It coated every area well, even into the holes. There was no brush in use and no chance for contaminating the original can or losing potency. I can put it aside and it will be ready for the next small project.

The old finish slid completely off when I scraped from a piece of a cardboard shell box. I applied a second coat to dissolve any remaining finish that may have crept into the wood grain.

This has proceeded so well that I'll probably jump back into the hobby this winter. I like oil finishes. Removing the factory finish takes time, but worth it for me. I'm anxious to see how this BEretta stock polishes up with oil.

Of course, practice safe stripping (possible double entendre?).

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If it removes the factory finish from a Krieghoff Model 32 stock I'll be a believer!!

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

That old K32 red finish is hard stuff! I once completely covered and soaked a stock in Hi grade laquer thinner for a month,never fazed it LOL. Jeff

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear about your trial on a Browning too, whenever. Thanks in advance.

Bob Falfa

5. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Nothing removes the old K32 finish well!

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The only way to get rid the red out of the old K guns is bleach.

7. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

But you have got to get the finish off first!

8. sharhope

sharhope Member

Try Permatex gasket remover

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Acetone use with caution.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try ZAR from UGL - it is a gel that you brush on - it works in reverse from most in that exposure to air STOPS it from working. The more you work it the faster it stops. Little to no 'clean up.'

GREAT on checkering - brush it on - then use and old toothbrush to get it off - ready for finishing. The un-checkered wood just needs light sanding to be ready for finish.

11. steele

steele TS Member

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone & lacquer thinning. This is the same formula as Formsby furniture stripper. Dip fine steel wool & rub the stock. I stripped 2 K32 stocks this way & never damaged the checkering. It doesn't lift the grain like some strippers. You can make a quart for under $6. Butch from Pgh

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The best finish remover I have used is 120 grit6 followed by 220 grit on a hook and loop dewalt sander. Be carefull but once you get the hang you can take off all the old finish in about 1/2 hour and not even remove any wood.

Joe

13. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Joe,

Not to dispute you but....I'd have to see that to believe it....especially the part about not removing any wood. That technique would definitely not be for a novice.

Ken

14. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Browning finishes are the hardest I've handled, but Brownells sells a stripper that works. It's a little slow, but it works.

15. 4painter

4painter Member

Marine stripper applied or above kleen strip work as well as any if you dont want to sand.It take off even two part hardners such as floor finishes, car finishes, much harder than your k 32 finishes. Use gloves and have water close to neutralize the sting of it touching your skin. Used hundreds of gallons refinishing wood benches, stripper will take out stain too, after the finish is removed same process. Buy in quarts or spray, when applying stripper in gel form brush on in one direction, dont back brush.. it will for sure come off at least one layer at a time. Lighty sand to remove any excess to bare wood, apply whatever finish as desired. A old painter , steve