1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best field boot for lots o walking, for the money?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'm looking for a light, dry/waterproof boot with good support/comfort for lots of walking that ventilates well and is priced right. thanks

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Check out either the Browning or Cabelas brand of kangaroo leather upland boot. Light, waterproof and break in very quickly and easily.

I've put a lot of miles on a couple pair of these (1 pair insulated, the other plain), I don't think they can be beat!

Kiv

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I don't buy a whole lot from CRAPELAS these days.....

I bought a wonderful brand of boot called ROCKY. ROCKYBOOTS.COM
    I just got back from a pheasant hunting trip in SD. Wore them for days in great comfort. Of course, all feet are different shapes......

The best,
    Mike

4. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I second the Kangaroo leather, but got mine from LL Bean. I'm very happy with them.

Cabelas made their name on customer service, now they have no idea what that means and some accountant decided on the sizes they should carry to maximize profits, so now, if you're not average build, between 5'9" and 6' 1", they probably don't have anything for you.

Cabelas is a working blueprint for how to bankrupt your company.

5. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

Kiv, I agree with the kangaroo leather. It's light, tough, comfortable and looks great. I bought a pair of the LL Bean kangaroo upland boots for my teenage son and he loves them.

www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57630?feat=507933-CL1&attrValue_0=Brown&productId=152513

For me, I spent a little more on the Irish Setter kangaroo boots from Cabelas. They are the most comfortable, dry, warm and best looking pair of boots I've ever owned. I can wear them hunting, or to work on casual day as they go perfect with khakis.

In any boot in that category look for the following:
    Kangaroo leather
    200 gram Thinsulate
    Gortex liner
    Vibram sole

Happy hunting!

Joe

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I bought a pair of Rocky boots this time last year, a year old discontinued style. After about 2 months the soles started peeling off. The place I bought them took them back 3 times to have a shoemaker reattach the soles where they were separating. I have since used almost a whole tube of "Shoe Goo" trying to keep up with the places the soles are coming off these boots. The leather is cracking and they leak.

These are absolutely the last pair of Chinese Rocky boots I'll ever buy!

Mike K

7. Habib

Habib Member

Oh, just go to the Shoe Carnival and pick one. You don't get Kangaroo from LL Bean "for the money"

8. S Martin

S Martin TS Member

I bought the Irish Setter kangaroo leather boots from Cabelas during a post holiday sale last year. I agree with Joe's post. They are the best, most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I have the uninsulated type and wear them most every weekend. So far, they are holding up great. Irish Setter is my new favorite boot. Steve

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

John Ruskin had several great quotes about "for the money". Or as 'beeb sez, "go to Shoe Carnival". Myself wears Russell moccasins when hiking or hunting because I believe "for the Quality" serves me better than "for the money".

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
    John Ruskin

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

the green kangaroos, been wearing them for 35 years, not the same pair. used to buy the brownings, now he cabella ones, great boots.

11. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

I have a pair of Timberland with Gore Tex that I have had for several years comfy and breath good waterproof. 79 - 89 dollars.

12. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I have owned just about every make of boot, over the years. From that plethera of pairs, I can tell you that I will NEVER own another pair of ROCKY boots. Every single pair has demonstrated the sole "crumbling" that has been documented in previous replies. The cheapo, man-made material they use just does not hold up under hunting conditions. They have also never been water-proof.

I have had good luck with Browning boots, which used to be made by Danner. I do not know if they still are..........

Timberland......decent. Wolverine......decent. Chippewa......decent. The old-time Herman Survivors.......decent.

HOWEVER.......my favorite boot is now IRISH SETTER. I am on my second pair, and the first pair is still going string. Superior comfort, warmth and "wearability".......everything an outdoorsman wants in a good pair of footgear.

JMO.......but you DID ask for personal preferences.

13. Garry

Garry Active Member

Irish Setter and Red Wing or if you want to spend a more money then Russel and Lowa.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Irish Setter. I've had the same experience as K80433SC.

15. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used a wide variety of boots from many manufacturers. Danner has been a great boot that we really have enjoyed BUT two years ago I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots and they were so comfortable that I bought my sons a few pairs as well. I actually even wrote Irish Setter a letter to express our enthusiasm with their product.

If I was looking I would go to a Cabela's, Dick's, Red Wing, Scheel's, Bass Pro, or other and try on as many different pairs as possible and find the pair that just feels right. Remember, just because they feel good in the store may not be the same after a 5 to 10 mile hike.

I used to shop by what was on sale and now I know to shop by what style actually fits my feet.

To each their own. Good luck

Bud

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There was just a thread on this subject. White boots appeared to be the winner hands down, but costly and custom made.

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Danner pronghorn

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Whatever you do make sure they have a sharp square heel, those flat--semi-round--smooth corrugated type soles are bad news in slippery conditions. I learned this the hard (read painful--expensive) way. Ross Puls

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Kenetrek, bar none. Check out their website. A good Montana Company. But, they aren't cheap, but then again, I always recall a saying I heard once and find it as true today as it was way back then -- " Buy cheap, you buy twice".

20. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Danner Pronghorn, for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.