1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Fiber Optic Sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm thinking to putting a fiber optic sight on my skeet gun and I would like to get some opinions from those who have these on their competition guns to get a feel for what the best ones are for shooting skeet. Thanks.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I really like the "comp" sight from HiViz... came standard on many Brownings...

Uses a simple set screw and replaced the front bead, came with 3 red, 3 green and a single white pipe...

regards,

Jay

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The "fat bead" from TruGlo is the best in my opinion. Be careful not to strip the threads when you replace a screw-in bead - it's easy to do.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I installed Uni-Dot sights on almost all of my shotguns.

These use a metal tube to keep your opposite eye from seeing the bright dot. These sights are good for everyone but are especially good for those who have opposite eye dominance and crossfire.

My crossfiring completely stopped after switching to them. For aerial targets I could not hit the ocean from a rowboat with both eyes open. My scores were typically around 15 for singles. Two months after switching to a Uni-Dot (thanks to a suggestion by a ts.com'er long ago) I ran my first 25 and 50.

Uni-dots come in two basic styles - adhesive mount and clip on. If you're not sure, try a clip on.

They also come in different dot sizes. I'm using the 2mm size. Tried the larger diameters but found they were no brighter and weren't as precise.

There are two different types of fiber optics rod retention systems. Fixed or replaceable. Most of mine are the replaceable version. This allows me to swap out the rod if it gets damaged or if I want to change color.

And there are two different colors - Fluorescent red or green.

The trick to using these is to keep both eyes on the clay, and with peripheral vision bring the dot to the clay. Never look directly at the dot or you will miss.

The model I'm using is the P-210 2mm adhesive mount with red and green interchangeable rods. The adhesive works well. Some of my guns have had a Uni-Dot on them for over a dozen years. MSRP is $22.95. I've installed over a dozen of these on my guns and would not have spent the money if they didn't work. In fact, I need to order a couple more, so this thread is a timely reminder.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I also use the Uni-Dot hooded front bead and so far I am still able to hold a high gun over the trap house with both eyes open and avoid the crossfire most of the time. I have had the 2mm P200 Green for 10 years but just recently I am trying the 3mm P300 Green as sometimes in dim light and dark background I can't recognize the fiber optic bead with my 73 year old eyes. I don't look AT the bead but at the target instead and the fiber optic bead is not a distraction.

6. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I've used the Hi-Viz Comp for years.

7. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

Hi-Viz Comp for me too. I've now put it on all my target and field shotguns. I prefer the green tubes, but that is one of the nice things, as color tubes change in seconds.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I really like the EasyHit (www.easyhit.com). I use the EasyHit CEE Sport Shooting Bead which is the longest one. They come in three diameters, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 mm. I like the 2.5 mm. This sight has a tube at the back end which prevents seeing the bead with the non-master eye.

Champion Target is the distributor in the USA. Tom Knapp advertises the EasyHit.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

10. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thank you to everyone for providing your feedback and opinions. Now the reasearch begins to decide which one(s) I will try.

11. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

All of these sights switch the eyes from the target to the barrel!

The XDS is a new solution for cross eye dominance, cross firing, accentuated double barrel vision.

Your eyes remain free and your binocular vision is in place!

People start winning competitions with it!

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Targetchip, why don't you tell Harlan Campbell how much better off he will be as soon as he gets rid of that HiViz fiber optic bead. If you want to sell your product and retain some credibility you don't need statements like: "All of these sights switch the eyes from the target to the barrel!"

13. targetchip

I know who is HC, my question is : is he cross dominate eye to use HiViZ fiber optic bead? I guess not. I associate the Hiviz to Easyhit so now you understand me!
    The XDS is for those who deal with cross dominate eye, cross firing.

14. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I've used the Hi Viz small sight for years & like it a lot.

i_shoot

15. Dickgshot

He didn't say he had a cross dominance problem, he just wanted to know opinions about the best fiberoptic sight. Just a word of advice: On every post you put on every forum I've seen, you come off sounding like a snake-oil salesman. It puts off more people than it attracts.

16. targetchip

Now, if I tell you that I have discovered a medicine that can cure a lethal illness you will blame me for that if I let people to know about it?
    The XDS is a new concept that can help people who can't wear a patch, dot, tape
    or switch shoulders!
    I'm sorry if that's your feeling about my post.

17. Dickgshot

I was wrong. You're worse than a snake-oil salesman.

18. targetchip

Man, you got some hate there:)

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>""All of these sights switch the eyes from the target to the barrel!"</i>

Nonsense.

As I clearly pointed out in my post, you have to keep both eyes on the target and use peripheral vision to bring the fiberoptic dot to the target. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it and for some people to train themselves. Those who have problems with watching the fiberoptic sight were probably bead checking unknowingly at times in the first place.

And the XDS is not a solution for me, because it would be destroyed during my first field outing. Hanging a blinder screen off the side of the gun might work on a trap field, but it ain't gunna hold up for me in the field. Also, when hunting in the field, we often are facing towards the sun. That thin frosted piece of plastic is going to get lit up like a neon sign from back lighting. There may be merit on the trap field for it, but I need a solution that works both on the trap field AND in the hunting field.

The Uni-Dot type sights work for both those who have cross-firing issues and those who do not. Plus, they do not require removal and replacement of the existing bead. They get installed in front of the bead. Less risk of damage.

20. targetchip

With a proper gun holding,having the XDS on it, I hunted almost every week, during the season, pheasants over the dog and had no problem with it.

On driven pheasant hunt is excellent also.

The Sun is a natural factor that can affect anybody and anywhere regardless of what you have on the gun!

On sky the XDS is almost invisible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
most popular color fiber optic shight for trap shooting
best fiber optic color for trap shooting
best replacement sight for trap shooting

best sight for trap shooting

best sights for shooting trap

easyhit cee shooting bead

easyhit sport shooting bead

fiber optic sights for trap shooting