1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best eye glass color for Orange targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PAK, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAK

PAK Member

Hey, what color of shooting glasses are best for orange target?

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

The color varies with the eyes of the person wearing the glasses. I prefer orange, but some like yellow, some vermillion, and some purple.

Jack

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Depends on your eyes. Anything from dead clear to welders goggles have been used successfully.

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PAK,

A lot depends on the lighting conditions, background and your eyes.

If you have no color blindness issues I'd look at the purples and vermillion shades first. Many shooters like copper or bronze lenses for certain background conditions. Personally, I use Decot's V-lite 2 or 3 lenses depending on how bright the sun is, most of the clubs I regularly shoot are green trees and sky. On dull or very cloudy days I use Decot's Gold 5 with a 5% orange wash to bring out the orange. This color serves me well for the few night targets I get to shoot as well.

Hope this helps a bit,

Bob

5. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It depends on the background and your individual eye issues....

Most older guys use vermillion/reddish glasses for targets with green backgrounds....

Orange targets (edge on) in the sky with medium light disappear unless you are using purple lenses.

Use yellow or clear at night....

Bronze is for bright days with a lot of haze...(polarized are best)

Go to the websites for their recommendations (Decot, etc.) or see what the top shooters wear in competition....

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

shaggist is right everybody perceives differently, can you borrow a friends with various colored lenses, also if you shoot under lights you may want two colors and-or clear.Ross Puls

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I stood at the decot table and watched targets with almost every color he had on the table untill I found one that I liked. But now I struggle on cloudy days and night shooting. I need to purchase more colors.

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

For cloudy days up in the sky with orange targets, try purple/blue.
    For night shooting most use yellow, gold or clear...with anti-light reflection coating.....

Believe me, I probably paid for Decot's building with all the shades I own.....

Light shades of red/watermelon/pink/rose/vermillion works best for old eyes in most conditions....

9. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I am partially color blind and the tint that works best for me is----none at all. Some tints highlight targets under good light, but I can see them well-enough then anyway. In any kind of dim light, clears are the only choice and I have a big pile of tinted lenses, with about every suggestion made here, to prove it. As others have said, your eyes are the only way to evaluate. If you are at a shoot checking tints out, ask if you can take them to the line and look at targets with them. Some tints will make the world quite a pretty place, but may not do much for you when targets are in the air.
    Dave

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Use the lightest shade without squinting.Goes for all backgrounds and colour targets..

Decot gold 15 is a good choice..

11. C-Money

C-Money Member

I like orange.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

YoteSlayer actually made a great comment if you picked up on it...

Beg or borrow as many colors as you can from shooting buddies to see what might work for you at the venues you shoot at...

While I'm a Ranger guy (Wayne/Morgan Optical is my guy)... I keep all the current plano options on hand so that my guys can try them anytime I'm around, in whatever light conditions and backgrounds are presented...

Just as Shaggist said above, "The color varies with the eyes of the person wearing the glasses..."

Good Luck,

Jay

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use Vermilion for bright days, and light gold for overcast days.

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Morgan Optical has color charts available on their website with recomendations for various shooting conditions.

As stated by others, everyones perception is not the same so if possible try as many colors as you can. If you, like many suffer from red-green deficiency than only Vermillion will be of much help but they will generally make orange targets light up for most.

Contact Wayne at Morgan Optical for friendly expert advice.

Robert

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot of money on all different colors and styles of glasses, trying to see the birds better. What I have settled upon, like shotgun1 is no color at all. I use a decot-style frame, clear lenses with my current scrip and an anti glare coating. In all conditions. If it is too bright or raining I wear a hat. Getting the most light to my eyes seems to work the best for me. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best color for orange targets

best color glasses for orange targets

best color shooting glasses bright days

best color shooting glasses for shooting orange targets

best trap shooting glasses for orange targets

glass color shooting trap

shooter orange dye

what are the best shades for lenses used for protection glasses for trap shooters