1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Electronic Hearing Muffs !!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I am in the market for the best electronic muffs. I prefer muffs with the battery on the outside rather than inside where the foam rubber is next to your ear; I have found that sweating on the battery is bad and eventually shorts out the circuitry. I am looking for maximum protection and high quality, and I am not too worried about price. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Charlie

2. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Sordin supreme pro x. Recommend the optional gel ear seals. See at csuk.us the battery is outside, still slim profile. I used to use pro ears but I like these better.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The top of the line are by MSA (mine safety associates). We researched this for a friend with bad hearinfg problems, who definitely wanted the highest NRR he could get.

He paid around 350 and says they're worth every penny.

I have Pro ears, bought them for the mp3 player hookup and like them fine other than the battery location.

HM

4. halfmile

MSA uses the name Sordin on the electronic muffs they now sell. I think they must have merged with that company.

Google MSA and go to their US site, the muffs are a good deal now at around $255.00.

HM

5. Charlie Becknell

I have called about ther MSA Muffs. Are they digital and does that really matter? I do appreciate your copmments. I had a set of Peltor 7's , I believe, with the battery next to the ear and it did not take long for the swaet to ruin them.

Charlie

6. halfmile

Digital is a non issue.

The only thing digital audio does is allow CD's or tapes tostore the data in a "01101", etc format to store and retrieve easily.

You hear in analog, microphones work in analog, and having any digital info in shooting muffs would increase the size of the circuit and price considerably.

The clamping circuit is the important thing, so you don't hear the gun blast.

My Pro ears do not shut it out completely but reduces it to a natural level.

I think the MSA might block it a little more if I remember correctly.

You can put a music player into the MSA muffs my friend bought. 255 aint bad for the high NRR they have. You only have one set of ears, and if you can afford it you should get the best.

HM

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The MSA Supreme ProX only has a NRR of 19 for the over-the-head version, and 18 for the behind-the-head model. NRR of 19 is not sufficient to protect your ears by themselves.

You'd need to add some type of plug to go along.

I own Peltor Tactical Pro 6's. I have to wear custom-made plugs with them to insure more protection.

Best,
    Dennis

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have used Peltor Tactical 7 muffs for years (since 1993). They are hot in the summer but I have never had a moment's problem with them. I use them religiously when I am around firearms. I hunt with them as well. A buddy bought a set of Peltor 6's a couple of months ago and he loves them They do not have as good an NRR but they are slimmer and don't interfere with his stock like the 7's do. I put two layers of moleskin on the bottom of the right muff to cushion it so as to do no damage to my stock.

I am 10% disabled (VA) due to gunfire noise so I am very protective of what hearing I have left.

HBT

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

ORVIS markets their "electronic earmuff" as the finest protection at any price - $298 - www.orvis.com #56A4

Harmful noise supressed below 70db, sounds below 70db are amplified, 2 millisec attack time with 200 hour battery life.

Jay

10. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

Buy the Peltor Tac-7's. They'll all wear out after a while and better to spend about $100 than $250 or $300. I have no idea how many hours I have on my 7's but it's many thousands, they are over 15 years old and I use them when I'm instructing on the range for the department and on my own time for practice and matches and they're still going.
    The Tac 6's are lighter but less sturdy than the 7's and don't have the same quality of sound reproduction.

11. Charlie Becknell

I ordered some MSA muffs . The gentleman told me they have a 5 year warranty. He was very helpful. I do wear plug inside of the muffs, I am trying to save all the little "hearing neurons that I have left".

Charlie

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Good thread info here. I know they are cheap (inexpensive) but the write-ups on the Caldwell E-85 muffs from Midway and the current sale price $14.99 are just too enticing to pass up. Even if the electronics don't work well, the muffs should provide some good level of protection. Best Regards, Ed

13. william miller

william miller TS Member

If you don't have to have electronic, the sensgard are really great. They are also fairly inexpensive. The black ones have a rating of 31, and come with a carrying case, and extra foam cups. I have two sets of electronics, one is Pro Ear; which I do like, but they are hot, and I still hit my stock on them.
    The sensgard are roughly $35 - $39 price range, depending on where you order them. I bought mine through ebay; shipping included for about $39.

14. Charlie Becknell

I use regular muffs for trap and electronic for sporting clays; since i only shoot sporting for fun we talk and I need to hear. If I could , I would not hear anything on the trap line. Ever notice when you are shooting well noise does not seem to bother you but if you are shooting bad you could have " fly fart distraction"?

Charlie

15. william miller

william miller TS Member

The sensgard work like electronic; you can hear conversations, etc., but cut out the gun blast noise. Check them out on their website; I think it is sensgard.com
    William

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gun muff

muff for trap