1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Economical Reloads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I've been reloading for about 8 months and have, for the most part, been using Remington components and Clays. I'd really appreciate suggestions for cost-saving recommendations for powder, primers and wads for Remington hulls...assume a 1 1/8th oz load @ 1150-1200 fps...a formula that you'd be comfortable using full-time at registered shoots. Personally, I shoot break-open guns, so I don't know whether so-called "dirty" powders should be a concern? If you are concerned about publicly recommending a powder charge, naming the powder and assuming that I will use the manufacturer's recommended charge is fine.

Many thanks!

WNCRob

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I always shop for the best prices. I am currently using noblesport primers with 700X and claybuster 1 1/8 ounce WW orange wads. I bought some shot at the state shoot for what at the time was a good price and prices are better now. I figure if I keep the price down I can shoot more..

3. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Try to by primer and powder local to avoid haz mat charges, but purchase wads in lots of 5k and have them shipped to your residence. While your question by focused on cost,a cheap reload that doesn't pattern well could be considered no value.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

what im reloading right now and have come to really like is promo powder from allaint, cheddite primers, downrange xl1 wads and sts hulls. Though the wads are ounce wads they are the same price as the 1 1/8th wad. I like downrage wads they give superb patterns with this load.

5. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I have had very good results with the following reload:

Remington hulls, 1 1/8 oz hard shot, promo powder, about $85.00 for 8 lbs, (must check weigh each 8 lb lot) and Claybuster figure 8 wads. I'v gone over to Winchester primers as the Chedites would burn through more often than I like.

For me the shot is the most important element for performance.

Charlie

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Rob: I refuse to purchase Remington, Winchester or Federal components. Their prices are ridiculous to say the least. If you want to reload as economical as possible and produce a quality and good performing shell you need to do several things. You need to watch for hulls that are discarded at the local clubs. They are readily available; as many shooters do not reload. Personally I load Remington hulls and there are plenty of Gun Clubs and the cheaper Remington game load hulls out there that load as well as an STS hull. Remember FREE is good. Try to buy in bulk. (Maybe go in with one or two fellow shooters if needed) I buy Fiocchi primers at $110 for 5K. Promo powder for $72 for 8#. DownRange wads at $72 for 5K. I can buy Lawrence magnum shot for $24.49 a bag. (I believe shot will go down more). Using these components, I am reloading for about $3 a box. I will place my reloads up against any new Estate, Gun Club, Top Gun shell out there. My load is : Remington hull-17.5 grain Promo-DownRange DRRT12 wad-Fiocchi primer and 1 oz. Lawrence Magnum #8. Good Luck. Ed

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Well, if you want to do things on the cheap.... Claybuster or Duster wads, Promo podwder, and some brand of foriegn primer.

Using AA hulls, AA wads, Win 209s, e3, and 1 1/8 oz of magnum shot my reloads currently cost $3.50 a box. Certainly affordable, and a load I have absolute confidence in, year round.

8. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

If you haven't already, make sure you are down to at least 1oz. on the shot load. Many guys are even using 7/8oz. from 16 yards as wads for that weight are becoming more available. Shot is the most expensive part of your load and the easiest to save $$$ on. I made the switch and my scores have gone up because of the lighter recoil.

Use aftermarket wads like Claybuster, Downrange and Duster, they are cheaper verses the big names. I've had very good result with Downrange.

Although I use Clays because I like a clean powder with an 1100, Promo is about as cheap as it gets. If your using a break-open, a little dirtier burn shouldn't matter. Besides the dirt, I haven't heard anybody complains on how it shoots.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Good stuff in X Good stuff out

10. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Loads the same as Red Dot. Mec #29 gives me 18.0 grains. Use your scale.
    [​IMG]

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

To me the first requirement is that the reload be reliable and consistent. As the cost of lead went up in the past 18 months, I started loading a lot of 1 once loads. This brings the cost down and also helps in an 870 to reduce recoil.

As to components, the best shot (Lawrence, STS or West Coast) is the least expensive when you factor in scores.

For cold and windy days, I have got to have Federal primers, Green Dot powder and a full 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 hard shot.

I am sure that Promo is OK but I really like E3 and don't mind paying a little extra for it.

Ed Ward

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Whatever you use, always stick with tested and published data from reliable industry sources including powder, wad, and primer manufacturers.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Reclaimed or homemade shot,Promo powder,Nobelsport primers,and wads that you pick up on the range and use again. It doesnt get a lot cheaper than that. Your scores may suffer a bit, but the things will go BANG!

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

At a cost of 1.5 cents per wad, why would you re-use shot wads? Why pay $4 to shoot around of trap if your crappy reloads loads cause you to miss 1-2 birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.