1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Has anybody found a good source for quality ear plugs? I've tried several styles, but haven't found any that are comfortable and effective. I'd prefer one that let's me hear conversations, but knocks down the muzzle blast. Many thanks! Bob

2. TC

TC TS Member

Bob, Make sure whatever you use has a NRR of at least 26 dbs. If they are not rated you are wasting your money and your hearing will be damaged. Wish I had understood this a long time ago. Tony

3. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Hey Bob - May I suggest you try your local Hospital which might have an Audiology Department and can make first rate molded ear plugs. Also, if you have a private medical insurance they may pay for the plugs. Mine does.

Bruce Maxwell

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I buy all my ear plugs from The Ear Plug Superstore. They have everything from sampler packages to large quantities at decent prices...wide selection, too.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Get the custom made plugs.I have had a pair that has worked for me for years. They cost me $35.00 and worth every penny.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Any outlet for hearing aids will make a set of moulded plugs for you for a price. Like Unruly, I'm willing to pay the $35 or $40 for custom moulded plugs offered at many large shoots. I'm on my 3rd set over the many years and they've served me quite well....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use a pair of North Sonic IIs. I bought them at Walmart, years ago, but they have held up well, allow conversation, but on the line the mini-cylinder baffles block those noise spikes well - best $7-8 you'll spend on non-custom plugs.

Jay Spitz

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Foam, new pair every day, won't cry when you lose em.

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I used Sonics too: I had to switch because I was starting to show hearing deterioration. I didn't think much about it until I read this piece by "The Technoid"...(Link in header)

Mike

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The molded ones work the best for me. But they are not every bodies favorite.

If you do get the molded ones make sure they inject the material and not just push it in your ear with their fingers.

Rock

Jim

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have used the molded plugs for many years and they worked ok. I currently use foam plugs. They seal my ear better than the molded ones do, and are a lot more comfortable to use. I keep 15-20 pair in my shooting bag all the time. I buy them by the case. 250 of them for $24.00 from my local safety supply store... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Zarathrusta, others around me use a number of differant ear protection. Muffs, foam, custom. I see more and more custom plugs with shooters.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Big Bopper, I have tryed a wide variety of ear plugs myself. I do like the yellow disposable ones. They have a 29 Noise Reduction Rating on them. The North sonic II's may let you talk to another person but have the lowest NRR or Noise Reduction Rating of any of the ear plugs that I have found, they are marked at only 6 NRR in a mag I have. A long way from the 29 NRR of the yellow ones. I am using the custom molded ones I bought for 40 dollars at a large local shoot just over a year ago. I like them alot. They are supposed to be at or around 40 NRR's I was told. I do think that they are higher than the yellow ones. they can be less when they start to creep out of your ear canal though. You must keep them clean. If you do want the cleaning problem go with the yellow's. I can't find a good set of sonic ear plugs that allow you to talk with other people and still give you at least a 29 NRR. I know it can be a problem hearing other shooters at times but keeping my hearing is worth the trouble. my 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

14. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sonic II ear plugs have an NRR of 6. They are great for those who want to go deaf as soon as possible. HUH

15. quasi

quasi TS Member

I use a pair of ear plugs from E.S.P their like a hearing aid you can turn them on and off but when they are on they cancel the noise at a certain decibel level so you can walk around the shoot and hear people and still be protected. They run about $900 to $1200 for a pair of them but they are so worth it. They really are the most comfortable ear plug I have ever used. Also E.A.R makes a pair of these as well you can compare price between the 2 types.

Frank Bentley III

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Instamold. They come to your gunclub, bring about 100 different colors, inject the stuff into your ears, polish them up, and you have them in a matter of minutes.

Best ear plugs out there. You are pretty much deaf when wearing them BUT... the name of the game is saving your ears, not being able to hear.

You can wear them all say and never get tired of them.

www.Instamold.com

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Big Al, please don't keep us in suspense, what is the NRR of the "best ear plugs out there"? How much higher is it than the 33 of those cheap foam ones?

18. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I have a couple pair I use for indoor range shooting that are made of beeswax and some other stuff; you soften them in your hands and mold them into your ear each time you use them. They have an NRR of 34 and I don't know of any higher.

Mike

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pull & Mark/Anonymous - Yup, NRR on the Sonic 2s is 6, but that's like comparing apples and oranges - the Sonic 2s don't work like foam plugs or ear muffs, because the Sonics are designed to cancel noise spikes, whereas plugs and muffs reduce an entire spectrum of sound. NRR is not a fair intrepreter of the effectiveness of ear protection like the Sonic 2s.

Sonics may not be for everyone, but my audiologist says my hearing is just fine.

Jay

20. JLW

JLW TS Member

I used a pair of the molded for about a year and my ear canal must have changed as they lost their effectivness. I now use muffs.-Jerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best ear plugs for trap shooters

can you boil custom made earplugs to soften them
ear plugs for trap

ear plugs for trap shooting

north sonic ii ear plugs

shooters ear plugs sonic ii
sonic 11 shooters aids