1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Duck/Turkey Combo Gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I shoot Remington trap guns, so should I get an 11-87 camo? Beretta Extrema? What is the best value with best quality in camo guns these days? I would like an auto, but I guess I could always get a camo 870.

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The Benelli Super Black Eagle gets my vote as the best autoloading duck / turkey combo shotgun. Our hunting group has shot them on many waterfowl and turkey hunting trips -- in Pennsylvania, Kansas, New Jersey, Texas, New York, Montana ......even Saskatchewan, Canada and Alaska......

..........all with nary a hitch in performance -- even in -20 degree weather out on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska.

They are simply great-performing shotguns, with an inertia - operated system that requires very little care, other than keeping them relatively clean.

3. TheNakedGun

TheNakedGun Member

Would definately reccomend the Beretta Extrema 2. I use mine for everything Dove, Turkey, Trap, and waterfowl.

4. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

The Beretta Extrema 2 with kick off reduction system gets my vote. Mine is scoped for Turkey's and I have never had a problem with it even with light loads. I do feel it is a little heavy for a quail gun to be carried around all day but, heck, I'm 71.
    Dan

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I stuck with the Remington 1187 for hunting. Bought a camo'd 21" turkey gun with monte carlo stock, and then bought a longer camo field barrel for birds. (Eventually bought a 21" vent rib camo barrel too.) The monte carlo stock allowed the gun to shoot to the same POI as my trap gun. There is something to be said for using the same field gun set up similarly as your trap gun.<br>
    <br>
    Now, having said that, my gun is a 3". I have not heard of, nor can I visually see, any improvements Remington has made on their 3-1/2" 1187 to correct initial problems with it. I'm not hearing complaints anymore, though. The 1187 3-1/2" guns don't always cycle light target loads, even with the auxilliary activator seal that can be installed with the gas rings. These guns need the heaviest trap loads.<br>
    <br>
    The Benelli Super Black Eagle is probably the most reliable of the 3-1/2" autos. That would be my next choice after an 1187.

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I am definately a Rem. man. But the last 2 or 3 yrs. I have sold many Mossberg Combo's. Pump & auto. Now Mossberg even make a trio - pump.
    Definately the best bang for the buck.
    Please investigate. Your choice.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm buying the new 11-87 Waterfowler, XCL. Uses 3-1/2" to 2-3/4" ammo, camo or black at a cost of approx. $1000.00.

Curt - Delaware

8. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

My Dad has a Mossberg camo auto and has had problems with it. I think of the three (Remington, Benelli, Beretta) the Remington is the lowest cost. Smith and Wesson has a Turkish import, but I don't know about its reliability.

9. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I went with the Smith and Wesson. I got it for a great price. Fit and finish were a lot better than the last Turkish gun I got, though not quite up to Remington standards (e.g. the choke tubes wouldn't screw all the way in correctly and it was a pain to assemble because the barrel won't just slide into the receiver assembly easily). Lightweight, good for a hunting gun, but much too light for a target gun. Shooting a round of trap was really difficult with it.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Remington SP-10 26 inch barrel with choke tubes.

Jim

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I use a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 3.5" chamber (yes, they made them, not for more than a year or 2, but they did make them) for all my shotgun hunting. Handles everything really well, and never have to worry about it not cycling with a load because it's too light. It's not camo, but you could get one with camo on it if that floats your boat. Pretty light which makes it nice for carrying, but watch out when you pattern those 3.5" turkey loads!

12. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Winchester Super X3's are fine guns for both turkey and particularly waterfowl. I really like mine.

13. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

My Browning Gold 3.5 has never let me down. I don't always hold up my end. Patternmaster or Strangler chokes work the best for me. I use the biggest shot and biggest payload for turkeys and decoying geese. I use the lighter faster loads for ducks and passing geese. Good luck. All of the guns mentioned in this thread are good, just some feel better than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.