1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Dove shoots in South America

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What were you best dove shoots in South America? Where- with who and what was the appox cost

Did you take a non shooter with you and what did they do while you were shooting?

Any time in country afterwards?

Looking to plan a vacation

thanks and regards from Iowa

Gene

PS this winter sucks- looks like the worst in record history- which is 140 years

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Gene

I've been to Los Chaneras in Cordoba, shot about 6K shells in 2-1/2 days. You could shoot all you wanted, no lack of birds. February 2008. Food, staff was fantastic.

Arranged thru Detail Company in Houston.

Should be able to get a good deal, peso is weaker since we went and economy is worse. Shells were $11 box, thats teh expensive part. The lodge was robbed in 2009, i think, they have since hired Argentine special force-types to guard it.

We stayed in Buenos Aires, the non-shooters went to Bariloche, in the Andes. Buenos Aires was great, cheap, awesome food.

It was an extraordinary trip.

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have wanted to go there for years and years.. finally decided against it after reading about a group of hunters dove shooting in mexico that got the crap beat out of them and robbed of all guns and money.. I had the chance to go 10 years ago but didnt have the money..lol..

4. Willus

Willus TS Member

GN7777777, We went to a dove only shoot in Argentina web site losombues.com
    we went in December the place was great, no problems. There were 8 shooters in our group, we shot 1265 boxes of 20 ga. # 7-1/2 shells, killed 20,151 doves.

The morning hunt was 3hrs. then back to the lodge for; lunch,swim,golf,fish,sleep,massage.

The afternoon hunt was 3 hrs. then back to lodge for;
    coctails, dinner, swim, golf, massage sleep.

We spent time in Buenos Aires, would suggest this, as there is a 3 mile long shopping mall, plus it is a very beautiful safe city. If this is not enough information, let me know. Do not go to a place that someone you know has not been, they are not all the same.

5. Willus

Willus TS Member

GN7777777, Do not mistake Mexico with Argentina do not go to Mexico. What blkcloud said is right about Mexico.

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Willus, that is quite some place you recommended. The only drawback is that it is Orvis Recommended, so the price will be a bit inflated. However, it may well be worth the price. Where are you located and what were your transportation logistics? Do you plan to go again to the same place?

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

No one is mentioning total cost. Air fare, shells, gratuities, and hunt fee.
    I checked it out last year. It was around $2,700 plus flight. Others have told me to add $1500 for extra bullets, cause you may be out of furnished ammo 1/2 way thru the hunt.

8. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Plus gun rental, plus trap boy tips. Its very expensive. I will do it again though. That kind of shooting won't last forever. Probably still cheaper that going to Europe for driven birds.

Dave Eberhart

9. Willus

Willus TS Member

eightbore, we live in the Peoria area, we checked all flights $ per convenience. We went with $. We flew into Buenos Aires, bus into lodge.

The costs are all over the place. Do not let the Orvis thing scare you. What you pay, will depend on what your wants are. You can spend lots of cash in Buenos Aires, if you want. We stayed there 2 days 1 nite.

OK, air fare, shells, tips,I shot 160 boxes of shells, killed 2561 doves, cought lots of fish, and had 4 massages. We hunted 4 days, traveled 2 days, 2 days in town.
    My cost:
    $3450.00. That is what the total cost for me. One of the others spent $2875.00, the high man was $6000.00. He shot 300 boxes of shells and had a real good time in town. We are planning on the next trip in 2010.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am confused...can you break down the $3450 because my math is just not working. Half of that was shells, no? So how did you fit everything else into $1700?

11. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

5 in our group went to Argentina wit outfitter Miles and Miles booked with Detail Company, hunted doves and perdiz. Great time first afternoon there shot 600 doves in 4 hours, it was like a dream and perdiz also great with dogs in the morning, Trip cost with tips, air fare, and shells $4000 US. Hope this will help, Ronnie

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ron, How many shells did you shot, and were they included in your package?

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have a friend that has been numerous times over the past 15-20 years. He told me that you could have a large time for 50-60 $100 bills.

Matt Woodson

14. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

We hunted just north of Cordoba mid-April three years ago. We went with outfitter David Denies and hunted the La Dormita lodge:

http://www.daviddenies.com/index.php

We had a great time, great service and birds are a plenty! I don't remember exactly how much it was but the shell bill was as expensive (perhaps more expensive for some) then the cost of the hunt; just depends on how choosie you wanted to be with your shots. Then throw in air travel, and tips for all of the guides, bird boys and lodge staff. It amounted to somewhere around five to seven grand a piece, again depending on if a guy wanted to shoot 1,000 rounds a day or 3,000 rounds per day.

If we had to do it over, we would stay an extra three days in either B.A. or Santiago as opposed to simply flying through.

15. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Shells where $10 a box, did not matter what gauge, I shot 1850 shells and took 1582 doves in 3 afternoon shoots, and 75 perdiz and several pigeons and hares. thanks Ronnie

16. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I've been there 5 times. ALWAYS had a great time. Somethings to think about. I prefer to shoot for 5 days. It takes so long to get there that you might as well enjoy it as much as possible while you are there. I think 90% of the hunters only go once. The additional cost is usually not that much. Our outfitters (I have used many) usually came up with 2000-2500 free shells. I usually pre-pay for a additional 3000-4000 so the shell bill is not an issue. I much prefer to go in June-July. It is the middle of winter and it very seldom rains that time of the year. The temp usually runs from 40 to 65 during the day so you layer your cloths. The days are shorter but that is not such a bad thing (the body can only take so much). My last two trips we went north of Cordova (Santiago) and had amazing shoots. You won't remember the money but you will always remember the shooting.

Good hunting
    Jack

17. lc

lc TS Member

I have been there 9 different times with different outfitters. Trek is a good one and I recommend them highly. I strongly suggest that you rent guns, most outfitters have Beretta's or Benelli's that are well maintained. It saves a huge hassle of taking your guns through all the different bull in the airports and if there is a typo with your serial number then the crap really hits the fan. I also recommend a few days in BA, a wonderful city with wonderful food and wine. Take a tour and see all the sights, you will need the rest after shooting 3 to 5 straight days.

Take good shooting gloves and dark shooting glasses as your looking up all day into the sun. I have shot as many as 5k shells in a day and as little as 1k, it all depends on how tired you get.

Most of all enjoy the fine people in that wonderful country.

18. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Ozarkgun nailed it. You won't remember how much you spent but you'll never forget the shooting.

19. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

My wife and I are going to Los Ombues this month. It will be my first time in Argentina. We have set aside time to tour Buenos Aires.

I have heard nothing but good things about this estancia. The price seems reasonable to me so far. We'll see if I still feel that way when I go to settle my shell invoice!

20. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Think about Uruguay, I have a contact and he can work with you.

These are dual hunts, pointed birds and doves.

Great time, great food, great shooting.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best dove shoots in america