1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best doubles guns ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What would be the best doubles gun, if money was no object? This is strictly hypothetical. I have less than 1000 doubles under my belt. My current doubles gun is a 682 Gold E, with a PFS and Spears release triggers. When my back surgery is done & I can get back it to trap with a real purpose, I may just want another gun.

Phil Berkowitz

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

It's my experience that what fits and shoots where you look is the best dbls gun. The one that you are shooting seems to me to be a fit.

Rick in Mt.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

MX-8 32" bbls gets my vote. Go to a highrib on this frame if you shoot the high rib stuff.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

To me a combo makes sense. You only have one stock to get fitted correctly and you only have two triggers that need to be converted release.

Pat Ireland

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Its the one that fits, feels good and moves for you. Doesn't matter the brand as long as its dependable and cost is irrelivant.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Probably any gun that shoots shoots straight right-to-left and (depending on you) maybe pretty flat for the second shot will be fine. If you switch, or rather before you switch, spend a good deal of time on a couple of afternoons finding out, at 13 or other convenient close yards and off a rest, where your present gun shoots. Then, once you are comfortable with the new one, look back and see whether you actually shoot it any better than the 682. If so, great. If not, learn the POI of the new one and when you get the _next_ one, you will know what to look for, POI-wise.

Neil

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would just have Dennis Devault and company install an adjustable rib on your exsisting 682 if you feel the need for a different gun.

ss

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Phil, since money is no object, get with an adjustable rib, new Silver Seitz O/U or an Alfermann, incinerate em!

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Phil, since money is no object, get with an adjustable rib, new Silver Seitz O/U or an Alfermann, incinerate em!

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

bigben is right...if you learn anything from many of the posters here is that you simply cannot shoot any aspect of the trapshooting sport unless you have trap gun(s) that cost at least $6,000, preferably much more. Even if you can't shoot competitive scores, you can impress and overwhelm the competition. Regards, Ed

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have broke up to a 99 with my old Citori that has been custom-choked with a dowell rod and a piece of sandpaper. Finishing was done with a brake-hone. Double releases by Phillips gunsmithing and throw-away reloads and a painted finish from the Wal-Mart collection. If it goes bang twice in a row, a hundred times in a row, you have a good chance of breaking them all with proper shot placement.....merlyn.....

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The trouble with finding a good gun for doubles is that most shooters need a gun that shoots high on the first shot and flat on the second shot. Most factory guns are not adjustable in this manner. Remington 3200s and K-80s are the exception. HMB

14. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

HMB they don't need it, they just think they do. But anyway I would think a faster moving gun for doubles would be better I shoot a 680 serires beretta like you for doubles and I find it a bit sluggish, although I do carry a 94 doubles average so it is still a fine gun. (it shoots where I look) The best doubles guns in me mind are the krieghoff and the perazzi over and unders.

Tony Fortino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best doubles gun

doubles trap gun