1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best digital powder scale for the money ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I've used a balance beam scale for years. I've now started to load metallic as well as shotgun shells so I think I will get a digital scale. Looking for suggestions from folks re: what they have and like.

Thanks in advance.

2. wdan99

wdan99 TS Member

amboy49
    It is hard to beat a P.A.C.T. basic digital scale with the 110DC adapter.
    I have used one since 2001, it has worked flawlessly.

3. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Don't buy a PACT. Mine has been gone for four months for a warranty claim. They do not have the correct circuit board to fix it and don't know when they will. Their customer service agent must have gone to the KGB charm school to have an attitude like he has. Check recent posts about PACT scales to investigate other suppliers of digital scales. Good luck.

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

One I use is a Dillon sold by a scale manufacturing company I represent. They went to China for a really good one but it was too expensive and they no longer carry a loader unit.

Whatever you do! Keep the mechanical on the counter and use it to double check the electronic scale. The electronic scales often come with large weights to calibrate them but they do not have small weights to check the loads in the range you are using. Build some small weights in the 3 to 20 gram units to use to double check the scales in the area you are using.

The scale can be correct at the top end but bad at the low end where you are working.

Keep covers around to put over the scales when they are not in use. The covers will stop things from falling on the platters and damaging the units.

Electronic components often weaken or fail. Bad weights are then produced.

Expect to pay more. Cheaper is cheaper and less reliable.

Electronics are faster but less reliable. Be careful.

Make sure the electronic scales are accurate.

5. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I was thinking of one also. But, you guys have just talked me out of one. Think I'll keep my manual one.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been using the RCBS unit for 7 yeaqrs now and no trouble.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,

A very nice scale at a fair price, log - on to Will Knot's web page above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I had two electronic scales,both RCBS 750's. The first was good but was stolen out of my house. The second 750 I do not trust. Weights are all over the place,not very accurate at all. I have a 10-10 that now sits on my bench. You cant beat a balance beam. Jusy one mans opinion..Ray

9. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have an rcbs and have had good luck with it.

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I dont remember the electronic brand I bought but it was only around 50 bux brand new. Checked it against much higher dollar scales and it is still accurate.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You don't need digital accuracy to load shotgun shells which is a good thing because you won't get reliable accuracy for the price most reloader digi-scales sell for.

The beam balance is way good enough...and if you can't wait for a beam balance to settle into a reading, you're in too much of a hurry to care about accuracy anyway.

Keller

12. oldschool

oldschool TS Member

My experiance with the Pact electronic products has been sub par and their service even worse. Have a Lyman 1200 digital for about eight years, very accurate, never a problem except the power cords transformer, called them and they promptly sent me a new one.

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I bought a Hornady the other day. While I like the little scale I still use my beam balance scales. I'm still not sold on digital scales.

14. Pen25

Pen25 Member

i have been using an aws100 which is an exact match to the 30 buck hornady. i paid 8 bucks for my scale and it is true.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Signature-AWS-100-Digital/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366797887&sr=8-2&keywords=grain+scale

btw make sure you get a weigh set and check it. this one requires a 100gram weigh to calibrate. i had an old calibration set and i check to see if it is still accurate and it will accurately weigh 10mg +- 1mg once calibrated. i check calibration every couple sessions at the handle.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a PACK and Dillon, they both work fine. Within a 1/10 when checked against each other. I also have a beam 10/10 to check the electronics with.

16. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I have a Pact and an RCBS.. both work flawless. I wouldn't load without one !!

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"... I also have a beam 10/10 to check the electronics with."</i></blockquote>That seems to be pretty common with people who buy reloader-quality digi-scales. They don't completely trust the digital and keep the good ole beam balance handy to verify. So why waste money on something you don't trust?

Keller

18. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Pact is a POS. avoid it. Currently I use a cheap scale from Ballistic Products. Coat about $25. Works great but I have a set of Lyman Check weights to confirm it.

T

20. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In my days as a competitive pistol/rifle shooter, I used Pacts and one Dillon. I was very unhappy with them for a number of reasons. Longevity, accuracy and just plain not working were the main three.

So, for years I used the old style balance beam. Slow, but accurate. Actually, I had two of them.

Then the Silver Dollar got in some of the Hornadys at about $35 each. I semi-reluctantly bought one about three years ago but it has been great. No problems at all. Fast to work when turned on, accuracy is good, and I still have the original battery in it.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best digital powder scale

best digital reloading scale for the money

best powder scale for the money