1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best defense round for a lightweight snub .38

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

it's time to replace some bullets in a s&w 442. what's the low recoil defense round of choice this year? thanks

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you want it for self protection..low recoil is not it...you want a +P 110gr/125gr HP...low recoil is fine for plinking and practice but not what you want to bet your or your loved ones lives on...the coked up home invaders these days need some horsepower to put them down or you will only annoy them until they figure out they are supposed to die...I like the Hornady Critical Defense ammo that has the rubber plug to penetrate first then explode without much chance of exiting...in a snubby you will need all the power the 38 can muster ...left you a link

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

There's been a REAL revolution in defensive ammunition in recent years. I attribute it to the expansion of legal concealed carry laws in so many states.
    When I needed to know which of the many offerings to choose for the .38 special, I did a bunch of research and wound up selecting the Speer Gold Dot, product # 23921. It is a +P, 135 gn. hollow point with powder specifically formulated for maximum efficiency in short barrel handguns. While all that sounds great, I ALSO checked it out with some folks in law enforcement who have had to USE IT to defend their lives and find it WORKS. I'm sure others do also...this is the one I chose.

4. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

No one feels recoil in the heat of the moment. I shoot high brass hot loads out of my 7 lb. side-by-side for grouse, and never feel the recoil when I'm shooting at a grouse. But it feels like a punch from Mike Tyson when I shoot it at a paper target (for patterning). I would shoot the hottest load your gun can handle.

Cheers.

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Corbon

CM

6. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

here are sickest rounds I have seen. Your .357 projectile will expand to .82 now that is some expansion!!!!!

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Was going to suggest this, but doesn't mention .38 Spl. Dang!

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

i have hornady 125 gr. xtp's in the gun now but i'm not a big fan of +p's in a 15 oz. gun! i want to spend my time shooting, not recovering from recoil

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Buffalo Bore ammo! http://www.buffalobore.com/

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The Hornady 110gr stuff doesnt jump...I can now say this with confidence as I picked some up from my local candy store today that is also an indoor range after realizing I shot up my 125hp 38's plunking groundhogs out of my Marlin carbine..they were very nice to shoot out of my Colt Detective..very low flash and grouped about 2.5" at 15-18yds with barely any muzzle flip...probably can do better groupwise with someone shooting with better eyes..bought an extra box after trying it. Also got some in 9mm for my bigger HiPowers...just thought I'd let you know

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I rely on the Glaser Safety Slugs (silver) in +P. It's designed for stopping power but is far less likely to go through walls and endanger family members.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.