1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Cure for "Tennis Elbow" ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JOND, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOND

JOND TS Member

Best Cure for

Believe I developed tennis elbow from repeatedly raising shotgun during trapshooting. Any cures short of surgery? Thanks in advance for serious replies! JOND

2. Juno

Juno TS Member

Best Cure for

Rest and anti-inflamatories.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Best Cure for

I used the Cooper Lastrap elbow pad until my tendonitis got better. I loaned the bandage to a friend and it also worked for him.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Best Cure for

Another link from Cooper detailing "Tennis Elbow".

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Best Cure for

Jond:

If you have not done so, you may check with your doctor and determine or verify the problem. You may be having a reaction to a medication, have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, actually have bursitis or some other malady.

Your physician can advise you on the best course of action which may include rest or some type of support bandage.

I occasionally get a weakness in my arm and leg muscles. At a physical some years ago, my blood work indicated low potassium levels. I now take a potassium supplement and frequently eat pinto beans, radishes, bananas and orange juice which are high in potassium.

Ed Ward

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Best Cure for

Best cure? Give up tennis and take up trapshooting.

7. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Best Cure for

Ask your doctor about sugar injection. Some doctors say it's voodoo, but it works, it hurts like he!!, but it really works. I know of a couple of other folks who had that treatment and it worked for them too. I had surgery scheduled but decided to let the doctor try it, I really wanted to kill him that night when the novacaine wore off, but it worked, took three injections, but it worked, the second and third did not hurt much.

Jim Pettengill

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Best Cure for

Jond, I'm a bricklayer, every couple of years all bricklayers will get tennis elbow in our trowel arms. Several companies make an adjustable Velcro strap that is designed for tennis elbow. You strap it on your forearm just below your elbow. They work great. Take an anti-inflammatory and use the strap. One to two weeks it should clear up. The strap I use is made by Scott Specialties, but their web site isn't very good and doesn't show it. Good luck, Wayne

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Best Cure for

wayneo gave good advice. The pressure must be below the elbow. Rest is important, but the best cure is to get 10 years younger. I would avoid all injections unless the problem becomes very severe.

Pat Ireland

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Best Cure for

Jim Pettengill has very good advice. The sugar injection idea is an old one, and not vodoo per se; it is based upon the idea that the body can be "tricked" into healing or continuing a healing process via irritation therapy. This method of treatment has various names from "irritation therapy" to "prolotherapy". Another example of this is that years ago, before painkillers were as advanced as they are today, Dr.'s would inject individuals with low grade virii to induce mild fever. This would allow the body to put out endorphins to kill pain...a treatment used to stop arthritis pain.

The irritation therapy model is cautiously endorsed by the Mayo Clinic. It is not a "sure deal" to work in each case, therfore it is cautiously endorsed, but it is not "voodoo"...

I had irritation therapy/prolotherapy that sure helped me; my left achilles was torn by 50% in diameter in one spot. Three sessions with prolo cured it in
    two months. Worth a try; a method used a lot in Eastern medicine. The sugar or whatever in the solution that is injected is sterile and designed to cause mild inflammation by being a foreign chemical.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving...

David

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Best Cure for

I used a combination of high doses of Vitamin C, an exercise ball for tennis elboe therapy and the aforementioned velcro adjustable strap. I suffered for about 6 months until a friend told me about this treatment. He read about it in a sports magazine. After using this treatment it took about 3 weeks to feel near normal and about 3 months for a complete recovery. BTW, after injuring my right elbow I also injured the left. Using the strap made shooting trap very bearable while healing. JRM

12. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Best Cure for

Don't forget to ice the sore area, 10 to 20 minutes, two to three times a day. The coldness draws blood to the area - blood with the nutrients needed to repair the problem and help reduce inflamation. Visit the Doc though and make sure the diagnosis is correct.

Mike

13. BMC

BMC Member

Best Cure for

I used to get it from fishing tournaments every weekend. One morning just wake up and it would hurt like hell. The last bout was I believe from raising or lowering my gun. That one lasted almost six months. Wear the arm band. I prefer the Ace foam and velcro version as it has a metal band in it and provides the best support. I can't find those anymore. The one with the jelly-filled pressure point works well, but can become irritating. Take anti-inflammatories of your choice. I can't take Naproxen or Advil as it destroys my stomach. Believe it not, drinking lots and lots of water helps with the pain to a small degree. I have bursitis in my left shoulder and the only thing that makes it et better is drinking lots and lots of water.
    One thing to note is that it is suggested you visit the Doc if after a month or two it isn't getting any better. Sometimes the tear is severe enough that it will actually require surgery to correct it. My Doc warned me of this but it never came to that. The last one went six months, some days good, some days I wondered if something else was wrong in there.

14. JOND

JOND TS Member

Best Cure for

Thanks to all who seriously responded. Much useful advice from fellow trapshooters,as always! Happy Thanksgiving to all and to your families! JOND

15. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

Best Cure for

Years ago after going the cortizone shot route for a year I had the surgery. Had the surgery done on Tuesday and was back on the line by Saturday. I did have to go to a semi for a while until I was completely healed.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Best Cure for

"And for God's sake, quit using that hand when you masturbate.

Gee, some of you guys only need one hand?

17. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Best Cure for

I had the same problem when I was using a hand operated reloader. It went away when I bought a hydraulic unit. Never had any problems since then. FWIW. JM

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Best Cure for

YMMV, but swimming just about cured my tennis elbow. I had pain and weakness. I still have a little soreness, but the strength has come back in my left arm. If you can swim, start with as much as you can do. I use the Finis Swimmers Snorkel, and swimming technique is less important.

I have yet to join an indoor pool, so my swimming stopped about the second week of September here in NC. I'll report back after 6-8 weeks of swimming indoors.

By the way, this cure was effected without shots or pain killers.

Danny

19. Badkarma

Badkarma TS Member

Best Cure for

Acupuncture and message therapy along with some strengthening exercises worked best for me. Totally pain free and strength greater then my opposite arm after 5 weeks of treatment. Strength was 10% of opposite arm when treatment was started.

20. philk

philk Member

Best Cure for

Just had my forth elbow surgery on Monday, left arm outside. Have now had all four sides done. My family doc will give three injections, got to love cortisone best thing since sliced bread, to one area then send you to the surgeon. I`ve had cronic problems for years with tennis and golf elbow. The first and worst case was from benching in a S&w M29 on sand bags and also from chain sawing. The straps work ok up to a point and can help you to keep from getting it but once you have it there is no substitute for an injection. For me to be TOTALLY healed from the operation takes about 4 to 5 months. Buy the way my Ortho Surgeon said even after the operation you can still get it then they have to go in and scrap out scar tissue. Good luck with yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can u use cooper lastrap more then once