1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Credit Card for Trapshooters?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pullbangloss, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Just curious what the best type of credit card would be for a trapshooter. I use my current card for gas, hotels, food, etc. Mainly on shooting trips. The current card I use has no bonus points, benefits, cash back, etc. I know Bass Pro and Cabelas has a card but the stores are far away from my location and wouldn't be of much use.

Thanks in advance,

Matt Ski

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Someone else's.

3. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

Not mine........

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have two, Cabela's and Gander Mountain. I use Cabela's the most even though their nearest store is 4 hours away, but almost their entire stock is available on line or through their catalog. I can always find plenty of items for Christmas gifts or the once a year I stop in to spend their points.
    The Gander Mountain card is nice in that we have a Gander Mountain in town. When you reach the required number of points they include a $25 cash card with your invoice. I've used this to by powder, shells and cloths. I've never looked at interest rates or anything like that cause I pay in full at the end of each month. I'm sure if you keep a balance there are far cheaper cards you could get.

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

hmmmm...well, free stuff at those places would be cool, I suppose.

but my Merrill Lynch card lets me have WHATEVER I WANT as a reward. There's a 24 hour concierge number I can call...find out how many points I have on the card, and tell them what i want and find out how many points that thing will cost.

If I have that many points, I buy it, and they deduct it from my bill. New Perazzi or K-80? No sweat. Entry fees to a major shoot? Sure. Powder. Shells. Primers. Wads. Airplane tickets. Hotels. Dinner out. TVs. WHATEVER I WANT.

And no annual fee, too.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

No annual fee on the Merrill Lynch card ... and how much are they charging you a year to maintain your brokerage account or per transactional trade on that account?

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

We usually stay at the Choice Hotels properties and use their credit card. By the time we leave the Grand, we will have used 10 free nights lodging this year. It works for us.

Bob

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cash.............

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use the NRA Rewards card (Visa). I get a little back now and then and the NRA gets a little back. Plus, I like the merchants I deal with to recognize that at least some of their customers are members of the NRA.

Pat Ireland

Chance McCall thanked this.
  10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The other side of the coin with the NRA, however, is when I jumped on having that card way back when. I had it, used it, had no problems. Then I signed up the wife to the NRA since I'm a lifer, and promptly had her respond to a "pre-approved" NRA visa offer. She was turned down since she had no independent income being a housewife. I wrote them with my considerable displeasure and got a form letter confirming the denial even with the "pre-approved" form. I then sent my card in a dozen pieces along with my additional considerable displeasure. Since then I've been extremely pleased with a no-nonsense, no ads, no wiggle words, straight up, no annual fee card from USAA bank in San Antonio, TX. I've yet to have reason to have a cross word with USAA and been treated like a king in all contacts....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pat, that's not a bad point to note....

Newbius....I'm under the Merrill Lynch MLPA program. Without boring you with the details of my personal finances, it works out to a shade over $7 per stock trade, over the course of a year.

I guess i should clarify...I pay an annual fee to maintain my account, but nothing per individual stock trade. Over the course of a year, that's about $7 per trade....

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a Mastercard issued by Bank of America with the ATA logo on it that was supposed to pay royalties to the ATA everytime I used it ... It was all the rage a few years ago and was said to be a little additional income for the ATA because they got paid everytime the card was used ... I used it once and forgot I had it so I use a few other cards that give me the kick backs instead ... I never did figure out why the ATA suggested a credit card being as they don't take them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

southwest airlines (Chase)visa if you fly much on SWA it doesn't take long for free flights....I went to the Grand free the last two yrs. and the Spring Grand this yr!

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I got one of the MBNA ATA Mastercards when they were first offered....and I've always wondered how much the ATA got re-imbursed by MBNA over the years...maybe Neil Winston could weigh in with some info about that.

Ron Burr

Alberta

15. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use the NRA Visa Platinum card. Have had it for year's. Just to support the NRA. Thanks, Roy

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The best one I have found lately is the one that is cut up into very small pieces in the bottom of my wastebasket. The older I get, the less need I find I have for the convenience of a credit card, regardless of the incentives, interest rates, or whatever else they have to offer. No matter what credit card you use, it will eventually cost you money at some point in time...... Just my experience........ Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.