1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best computer virus protection ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Whats the best ? Jeff

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use the free AVG. It has caught quite a few. I have another from Computer Associates, but its firewall clogs applications to a degree.

The big thing is to make sure the virus definition files are constantly updated.

The disadvantage to AVG is if you have scans run daily they take a long time and slow your computer.

I scan with Malware Bytes regularly, and only have AVG programmed for bi-weekly scans which occur when I am away.

HM

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Dump the junk.... Macintosh.

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

"Once you've had MAC, you'll never go back". I won't, anyway!!

Ken Rucker

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Yep, getting a Mac is the answer. No viruses. I worked in a medical facility that was all Mac, over 600 machines. Never had a virus problem. They switched to PC's (after I left) due to bad reasoning on the part of the administration. Now they spend a LOT of time combating viruses. And other problems they never had with a Mac. Today's Macs can also easily run Windoze, if you absolutely must have this capability.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mac, Mac what company makes that virus program? That a new program isn't it???

Bob Lawless

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use Norton on one computer and McAfee is on the other and have had no problems.

I think regardless of what anti-virus software you use, be sure that it is updated regularly.

Allen

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I tried Macafee, Kaspersky, Norton & Bitdefender. I am now using Panda and it seems to be the better of all of them

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

There is no "best" AV software and I'm not sure how the people who say that they've tried "this one" and "that one" and like "this other one best" are making their evaluation. Remember that AV software is retroactive... an infection has to get out into the wild and be discovered by some researcher before his development company can analyze it, write a signature for it and include it in an update for their AV program. How effective an AV program is on any given computer depends in large part on how security-minded the user is and how diligent they are about reducing their expose to infection in the first place. The more sloppy a user's computer habits are the more likely they will encounter infections that their AV software doesn't have signatures for yet.

There are only 3 free AV programs I would consider: Avira, Avast and Comodo. There are several paid full version programs that will serve well including one from Avira plus Sophos, Eset Nod 32, McAfee, Kaspersky and Bit Defender.

I'd also advise installing and using MalwareBytes scanner and doing periodic scans with the Eset online scanner and either BitDefender or Trendmicro's scanner.

I talked to someone last week whose computer I had resurrected. He picked another AV program after that incident and I asked him how it was working for him. He said, "It's great. I only get half the viruses I used to!".

Carol Lister

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I quit using Norton a few years back when their new version wouldn't load over the current version I was using. Their tech staff wanted me to go into the operation system and start changing things. I went to Trend Micro Internet Security and I was very pleased and have used it ever since.

It has saved me a lot of trouble on more than one ocassion, not difficult to install and use in my experience.

12. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

AVG home has worked well for me.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I'm no expert, but I used to exclusively use Norton but not anymore. Last year's version made my older computer run horribly slow, and I still had two trojans get through, which they were happy to charge $100 to fix.

I've now been using Kaspersky which does NOT make my computer run slow, AT ALL, and I have had nothing get through.

Jennifer

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'll seventh, eighth and ninth the MAC.

We have three of them, have not owned a PC since early 90's. Have never had a single virus issue.

SW

16. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

MODERATOR DELETED - You need to shape up with your comments.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Mac viruses and malware exist.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Nod 32 is supposed to be one of the best.

Hauxfan!

19. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Best = Vipre by sunbelt software - not free but well worth it

20. missemucho

missemucho Member

Another vote for Trend Micro; I've gotten quite a few of our club members to ditch Norton. Trend uses a minimum of your computer resources and works well. Check
    http://www.pricewatch.com/ under security software and you'll find some good buys.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.