1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Best color lens for low light shooting"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by below 0, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I do a lot of low light, night under lights, shooting...What color works the best to high lite the targets?

2. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

What color are the targets? 10tenner

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Clear lenses with anti-reflective coating. You do not want to diminish the light transmission to your eyes with any color in the lenses which filter out light. Best Regards, Ed

4. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Many of my customers have ordered a light tint of yellow or gold and have the lenses ZiessAR gas treated for anti reflection and increse lense surface hardness and clarity (polycarbonate = safty).

Maltzie

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Very light yellow or clear.

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I like Decot #10 Gold

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a thought @ age 60 your ability to see in dim light is aprox. 1/3 of what it was when you were 18. The lense which lets the most light in should take preference over target contast. If you are an old fart like me.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

i agree with pheasantmaster. Very light yellow with anti reflective coating.

9. pdq

pdq Member

It's not just the lens. SOme of the new Nikon cameras perform very well at very high ASA ratings.

Pete

10. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Bryce.....

A perscription series lens is a plano (no Rx) ground lens. A ground/polished lens is much better in clarity and sweet spot than an average injection molded lens included with most over the counter shooting frame packages. Can be dipped any color, tint 1,2,3. Only disadvantage is they cost the same to manufacture as a lens with prism (Rx). You will pay the same. we can AR spray or gas coat either.

Maltzie

11. below 0

below 0 TS Member

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Clear work for me

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Clear, or as close to it as possible. A good anti-reflective coating might be a good option. The better the optics, the better you will see, so good lenses are a must, especially in low light.

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

For non prescription shooters Oakley makes a tint called high intensity blue,It is a yellow lens with a very light blue tint,it work very well under artificial lighting and low light conditions,I would not recommend there RX lenses,the insert they put in them is distracting.Jerry

15. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Very light yellow....Lehman Optical calls them Lemon, I believe. High light transmistivity with just enough tint to bring out the color of Orange targets during that hard to see dusk time frame.

Cheers

16. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I use a mid orange for all lighting conditions and rarely have any trouble seeing targets. I am a near sited 65 year old.
    Orange blocks the glare while brightening the orange and green.

Be careful with anti reflective coating. After about 2 years, it begins to peel off, and then it's wose than not having it at all.

17. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've been useing a real lite orange and done pretty well but everyone is telling me to go to yellow and when I used them I found my scores went south. Thanks for all the responses to this thread...Dale

18. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Clear - anything else robs you of some part of an already dim light spectrum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best color lenses for low light shooting

which color lens is best for low light shooting