1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best color for lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigDave1200, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

What would be the best color lens for shooting glasses? I want to order a pair of prescription glasses for shooting and would like opinions on what color lens to get for orange targets. Something that is universal for lighting conditions. I know that there are several colors available but I will be limited to one as they will have to be made prescription. I am thinking orange?

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Clear, if you are going to stay with one color.

W&W

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

BigDave1200,

Depending on you prescription, you may want to look into inserts. A couple of my shooting buddies have went to them and they really like it. They are kinda lens shape specific, so they aren't for everyone.

One color of lense for me would be the vermillion/watermelon colored lenses. They really make those orange targets pop out against the background.

ss

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Big Dave,

Target Orange is my #1 selling color. But what works for one person, might not work for you. I am a Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses Authorized Dealer. If you would like to discuss lens colors, please contact me.

Matt Woodson

ph: 270.804.5454

5. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Everyone sees colors differently. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I like dark purple on bright days and light purple on overcast days. I have blue eyes, and I think it has something to do with it. Some guys I shoot with have brown and green eyes, and they prefer lenses in the orange range. If you're going to spend the money on Rx lenses, be sure you get the color that suits YOU, not other people.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Ranger sales a color called CMT that is unbeatable in bright sunny days. I have tried all the heavy hitters and nothing comes close to them.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Most useful single color for all light conditions = Clear. Make sure the lenses have "anti-reflective" coating. Regards, Ed

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I get no help at all from either yellow or target orange; my lenses are a light V-lite (pale violet).

Morgan Optical in Olean NY sells the Ranger Sporter full frame glasses that can accommodate fairly strong prescriptions. The frames have accompanying clip-ons that can hold thin tinted lenses. You can get clear prescription lenses and use the clip-ons to introduce the color.

MK

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Everyone sees colors differently. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I like dark purple on bright days and light purple on overcast days. I have blue eyes, and I think it has something to do with it. Some guys I shoot with have brown and green eyes, and they prefer lenses in the orange range. If you're going to spend the money on Rx lenses, be sure you get the color that suits YOU, not other people.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

BigDave

You might also want to keep in mind that many shooters use one color lens against the green background of trees/vegetation, a different color against blue sky and yet a third color against gray, overcast sky.

The color that works very well for you against one background may not work nearly as well against a different background. You may have to compromise.

That's why I think it best to buy your lenses face-to-face from a dealer where you can use color samples to compare. It may be a bit more convenient to send a prescription, a color choice and a check to somebody hundreds of miles away but it's a lot more chancy that way.

MK

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If I were limited to just one color it would be yellow. This color works well for me in most lighting conditions and is particularly good in snow. (you would think it would be too bright but not so for me) #2 on my list is the Vlite Rose that Decot offers, I like these for bright summer days. #3 would be Ice Blue which help me alot with the green targets. #4 would be clear for night shooting (which I rarely do).

Getting an interchangable system like the Decots is a good idea because you can experiment with several colors and find what works best for you.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

BigDave.... I have the following lenses, all Rx: Vermillion, V-light-M, Target orange, Bronze, Bronze light, Blue ice, and Clear. I do 99% of all my shooting, under all different light conditions, backgrounds, and target colors with my CLEAR lenses. They work, consistantly, for me, so I just don't bother with the other colors much.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If I were limited to just one color it would be light target orange. If you can see the way to have two colors, make the other one a medium purple for severe sunny days.

John C. Saubak

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You've got some excellent info so far.

No one color will work for every shooter's eyes.

No one color will work for every shooting day.

My advice - get a pair of clear lenses now and when you are at a big shoot with both Ranger and Decot in attendance try the lenses and frames to see which ones work best for YOU.

For my money the Rangers offer the best combination of lenses for a variety of lighting conditions - those CMT's are incredible.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For me a medium purple is my go to color for a variety of colors. Also McKissic in PA has a strawberry that is good as well. I have brown eyes for whatever difference that may make.

16. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Thanks for a lot of great information. Not sure what I am going to do but you all have given me lots to consider. Thanks Again

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I talked with Bud Decot at the California State Shoot several years ago about this. He said to use the lightest tint you could stand in bright sunlight no matter the color. Recently I have been using the clears more. Just seems like they are all I need. And I have been using Decots for about 20 years now with absolutely no complaints of any kind.

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

pheasantmaster,

That just means you aree full of s#*t. Lol. I'll bet that Mrs. Pheasantmaster says the same thing:)

ss

19. shootman

shootman TS Member

Go to a major shoot where they will have venders and try looking through the different colors of lenses. I use a heavy orange on really bright days or vermillion, clear on overcast days. BOB

20. mike T

mike T Member

My brother in law and my self both neede prescriptions glasses and we have found for most cases lite target ornage works well. We also have a very pale yellow for all other low light shooting. Like some one said different lenses work for different people. Go to a big shoot. You can look through all the colors with your normal prescription glasses and pick the color you like best
    mike t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best color lens for trap shooting

best color lenses for shooting
best color lenses for trap shooting

best lens color for shooting trap

clear lenses for night trap shooting
lens color for night trap shooting
what is the best lense color to use for trap shooting in the winter
what is the best tint for trap shooting