1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best cololant for making shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joe blow, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Best coolant for making shot

I've seen a number of coolant mixes for cooling shot. Which does the best job?
    Water soluble oil, brake fluid, anti freeze of transmission fluid?

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like the brake fluid,rinses easy with water,and i get it for free,(brake shops,automotive dealerships,they use a system that flushes your brake system,after each job they re prime the system with new fluid,so on the start up of the next car the new fluid goes into the scrap tank,so the fluid in the scrap tank is 30-40% new fluid) i have 14 gollons in my coolant tank,i circulate it through a 10inX10in tranny cooler sitting in a cooler with 20 lbs of ice in it. i never have my temp change moore than 10 degrees,and i usually run 200 lbs at a time,the only draw back to dot 3 is the flash point is 275 degrees,and the lip of your ladel is 500+ degrees sitting less than a 1/4 in away,so you do have to be aware of that.as long as you use your head,and have safty in mind (gloves,ventalation,fire ext.),it shouldnt be a problem,ive put 3500 lbs of shot through my stewart shot maker since april of 07,and have had good luck with it,(still using the first 25 gallons of used brake fluid i got back in april,so it dont wear out,and you dont have to worry about getting the rite mix.(like soap or anti freeze)and you dont have to rinse with gas or min.spirits like you do with the other oils. keep on dropin,mark jones

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The original Littleton letter recommended water soluable oil and water...which I used for some time. Recently, I changed to Low Tox anti-freeze and the shot quality improved considerably. I can't speak to brake fluid as a coolant, but unless you're set up to wash the coolant off in a non-contaminating manner I would recommend Low Tox.

Buz

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

buz,do you have to rinse your lo tox coolant off your shot after you drop it?is lo tox the same as no tox?,i drain my shot over my coolant tank in a scereen lined french fry basket untill it stops dripping,then rinse in a 30 gallon tote,with 20 gallons of water in it,there is not alot of residue left in rinse tank after 200 lbs of shot making (cant be moore than 4- 6 ounces and i see cars every day in the shop i work at loosing moore "hazardous" fluids than that),as far as pollutants,i dont think there can be as mutch pollutants in my rinse water after a run as one fired shotgun shell,considering the lead left in the fall zone,plastic wad left on the range from one shot,or the lead residue from any rinse tank using any type of coolant.yes you do have to use your head about where you dispose of any of the liquids used to rinse/cool lead shot.but if you get overly concernd about it you just mite stop shooting, mark

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found a australia based web site saying they use deisel fuel,,,nasty. Claims it works the best.

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Low-Tox Anti-freeze with 16 oz. of liq. laundry soap per 6 Gals. makes great shot and easy clean-up with water

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

scottk,what do you like to use?mark

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Plinker, I'm talking about people who flush their shot with a garden hose onto the lawn or driveway.

Buz

9. scott k

scott k TS Member

brake fluid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.