1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

******BEST COLD BLUING ???*********

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've never used it on a scope but Birchwood Casey makes a bluing gel that I've had good results with. Preparation is everything so follow directions to the letter.

2. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Here's my favorite:

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1108&title=OXPHO-BLUE%7e+CREME

3. setter

setter Member

You can also turn your pencil around and use the lead end to remove rust with no damage to the bluing, #2 works best.

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have used Blue Wonder and it works very well. You can get it at GI Joes. Hit the link above for their web site

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

My recommendation is Van's for steel - best I have ever used.

Doyal

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Click above link and see the video on how to blue.

Jerbear

7. wishicould

wishicould TS Member

Are you sure that the scope is metal and not aluminum? The above products are all good, some better but i don't think any of them will do aluminum.
    There is a blue or Black for aluminum, I used it awhile ago, I do not remember the name.

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is the best I've ever used for steel, works better if you heat the part up just a little. Most scopes are aluminum, Birchwood Casey makes some Aluminum Blue but it very seldom works very well, in fact a permanent marker works about as good. Ross

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is great if the metal is steel. This is a little trick I learned many years ago when I was active in gun engraving. Use one of the larger shop lamps to get the metal rather hot. You should be able to touch the metal with just a small amount of burning pain. Keep the metal very clean with a solvent. Put on the Oxpho-Blue, let it sit a couple of minutes and rub it off with clean 0000 steel wool. Do this 10-12 times and you can get a fairly nice blue job.

This technique will not give as deep of blue as a hot blue tank, but a hot blue tank will not give as deep of blue as a slow rust blue job.

Pat Ireland

10. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

This Blue Wounder looks like a very nice "Do It Yourself" type project....But the cost is a bit high for the Kit, $250.00 is more the I plan to spend just now

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Oxpho , no doubt. Jeff

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have used Blue Wonder with good results.

Pat thanks for the hints on Oxpho. I tried some and was not thrilled - but I did not heat up the metal. Heating the metal is also what you do with Blue Wonder to get the best results.

Don

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Twin, I bought my stuff a lonnng time ago....I would suggest you follow the advice of the other poster's on this thread....and Brownell's is always a good source for anything gun-related.

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

If you want an especially nice look without the expense do this: Buy Perma Blue paste, degrease a pad of 0000 steel wool, degrease your scope or firearm, apply Perma Blue gently with the degreased steel wool. The reaction of the blue and steel wool gives you a dark blue finish without having to do it 10 times or more depending upon the metal. Rinse it off and gently "card" it off between and after applications. Immediately dry it off completely and apply a quality gun oil and let it sit for 24 hours. Apply a final coat of gun oil after 24 hours and you're good to go.

Good Luck with it,
    Steve

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Man that went up... I bought one kit for $35.00 from Gander Mountain a few years back and still have enough to blue a full single barrel shotgun.

It's that buy 1 and get 3 free. Call them and see if you can buy just one kit.

Jerbear

16. deking00

deking00 Member

They have a single re-blue kit on the 2nd page of the store.

Blue Wonder™ Gun Blue - Re-Bluing Kit [BWGB-2OZ-KIT] $36.12

This kit contains the following:

* Blue Wonder™ Gun Blue – 2 Oz.

* Blue Wonder™ Developer - 0.5 Oz.

* Blue Wonder™ Gun Cleaner - 1 Oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best cold bluing

best cold bluing for guns