1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Best Clover for Deer Food Plots?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bocephas, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Mr Charles

I use Red Clover. I have also used alfalfa.

It seemed to me they went after the clover the best.

You can buy the mix with several differant seeds in it.
    This about five times higher than plain red clover.

Bo

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I planted "Rackmaster Refuge" by Pennington Seed Co last year. It's a blend of greens, clover, and Chicory. I noticed they had the chicory chewed off to the ground, so I'm planting a chicory strip on the up wind side of my plot.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

They tell me its called "ladina" clover. Pronounced like I spelled. Not sure about the spelling.

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well it depends what your goals are. Frist part what part of the country you in?? Second what have you done for the PH of the soil?? How long do you want this plot in clover???

GS

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well 6.5 is great, most people do not get their plots up too this point. You must have some knowledge of farming if you have wheat there. I try to rotate my plots. I find that I can hold clover for two to three years on my plots before they need to be reworked. It is hard to hold the grasses out any longer than that. I rotate to corn, turnips, and rape. I just got my seed list this year and was surprized how much the clover seeds went up. With that said I have had great luck with Alsike clover. [and it is cheap] I will most likely stick with this now as I have seen no difference in clovers from Red to Ladino, or the custom whites deer seem to like it all. I also have had great seed take with frost seeding. Now I turn over my plots by doing a turnip/clover mix in late summer, then a frost seed in the spring and I am good for at least two years.

GS

6. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Mixture of Ladino and Red.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.