1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Cleaning solution for Carbon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbm5770, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

I have a hard time removing carbon build up on my guns....anyone have the "magic" stuff that works on it?

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Slip 2000 choke cleaner

Phil Berkowitz

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have done extensive research on carbon removal. What I use now is in limited supply at GM dealers, and is fantastic. It's Top Engine cleaner 1050002 in the blue and white can. We used to pour it in the carb while the engine was running, and when it was almost gone dump the rest to snub out the motor.

I put 3 or 4 cleaners from Gander Mountain and the like and also the TEC, on a piston I had lying about.

The TEC removed the carbon all the way down to the metal. The others hardly dented it.

You can try your local GM folks, have them search the computer for it. I bought a whole case from 200 miles away and I hoard it like the dickens.
    Guys at Bench Rest shoots pay dearly for this stuff since it was discontinued.

If I didn't have the TEC I would use M-Pro 7 or KG-1.

That said, you can go to Fr. Frog's test and read for yourself.

BTW, Frog's site is pretty cool. He has another page with home brew solutions that are pretty good.

This knowledge took a while to acquire, it's yours for free.

HM

4. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

thanks HM

5. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

When I want to really scrub out a rifle barrel I reach for Sweet's 7.62 solvent. It is a soap base rather than petro-solvent. Do NOT let it stand unattended and dry out. Strong ammonia content! It will clean right down to the bare metal.

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Modified Ed's Red - substitue Hoppes #9 in lieu of ATF.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have never used the top engine cleaner but Halfmile always knows what he is talking about so I will look for some

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

GM Top Engine Cleaner was THE stuff for de-carboning those old high-compression V8s that never saw wide-open throttle. Every now and then, a chuck of carbon would drop from the cylinder head down onto a piston and the engine would sound for all the world like it had suffered a bearing failure. One treatment with TEC as HM described and the carbon - and the noise - were gone. Search for it small GM dealerships that may have a parts manager without an aggressive watch on his obsolete part numbers.

In lieu of TEC, you can use Iosso GunBrite polish or Flitz polish. They remove the black, burned-on coating from the face of revolver cylinders pretty easily. Be careful with GunBright, as it will remove bluing after many uses.

Ed

9. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Try "Mercury Power Tune Engine Cleaner". You can get it at Mercury outboard dealers. Smells just like the old GM top engine cleaner. Works real well on carbon. Ok on bluing but will remove stock finish.

10. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Question- would 'Sea-foam' be the near same product as TEC?

11. halfmile

Guys, on the Sea Foam, I don't think so but I was going to try the Mercury outboard stuff, I believe it is an aerosol can. I have seen it highly rated on a couple outboard sites.

Buuuuuuuuuuut...............now that I have a dozen bottles of the good stuff the priorityhas shifted a little.

Ed is right, a GM parts guy should be able to search his computer and find what's in a couple hundred mile radius, and a phone call should get you some.

good luck.

HM

12. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Try "Kroil," a WD-40 type solvent that you can get most anywhere.
    This stuff is the best things I've found for cleaning guns, especially carbon... just let it soak for a few minutes and you're all set.
    Mark T.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

For 390 pistons and barrel gas chambers the best thing is a stainless steel brush chucked up in a drill.

14. supersenior

supersenior Member

I've just finished my last bottle of TEC.
    I asked my son (works at a GMC dealership)to pick up another case of the same.
    However,it's been discontinued and replaced with "Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner"
    ACDelco part # 88861804.
    I haven't had a chance to mix it with Kroil or Marvel Mystery Oil and observe the results.
    Borden (Ontario,Canada)

15. halfmile

SS, save your money, the new stuff doesn't work. If you try the Mercury aerosol, please do PM me with your findings.

An old small engine piston is the perfect vehicle for testing any carbon remover. The carbon is baked on like it would be in a rifle barrel.

You could probably have one for the asking at any repair shop.

Kroil is about the best for surface rust and it will release frozen choke tubes very well with a little time. They have an excellent twofer bargain on their website. I found it better than PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for its purpose. Other nice products too.

Another that I have not tried yet, is Carb-out from the makers of Wipe-out.

Always willing to try a better mousetrap.

HM

16. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Kroil is very good stuff, but it's a penetrating oil not a cleaner, and it's also obscenely expensive. The Acetone in a standard mix of Ed's Red is a very effective carbon fouling remover in my experience, and over the years I've tried just about every commercial made gun cleaner known to man, and quite a few other products that aren't specifically intended as gun cleaners as well, and I haven't found anything that works any better than Ed's Red, some will work about as well, but when you consider the cost of a gallon of Ed's versus the commercial cleaners it's an easy choice for me. Just for giggles I usually add a few ounces of Kroil to each quart of Ed's Red, though I can't say it makes any dfference in the effectiveness of the standard Ed's formula, it certainly doesn't hurt anything either. The only downside to Ed's is it won't remove copper fouling, while this is a non-issue for trapshooters, rifle and pistol shooters who use a lot of jacketed bullets will need to use something like Hoppes Benchrest to remove copper fouling. For those of you that are using automotive type cleaners (ie. brake, engine, carb, etc.) I would suggest wearing rubber gloves as many these contain some real nasty compounds that you don't want on your skin.

17. halfmile

shoob, right. My cleaning agenda is actually 3 pronged. In the PD field, Pro Shot every 50-60 shots or when accuracy falls off.

Home is a double deal, a wet patch of anything for surface garbage. Then the foam Wipeout for copper, repeat till a patch comes out with no blue on it. then I use the TEC for carbon.

My guns shoot way better than they used to. Had an interesting group on a clean barrel last week: 2 almost in the same hole on a clean barrel, then the next 3 a half inch over, all in the ssme hole. My pal said it was because the barrel needed a little fouling initially. This was a factory barrel, and probably not as nice inside as my Shilen which does not do that.

HM

18. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

May want to give this stuff a try.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWz-0Zy5-k8&feature=player_embedded

19. halfmile

Looks good. I wonder how baked that soot is, compared to carbon in a rifle barrel. I would definitely give it a spin if it doesn't break the bank.

HM

20. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

One thing I considered is that in that video, jet soot is on/cleaned off some seriously hard slick aircraft paint. Our shotguns are generally milled pourous steel. Probably makes a big difference in cleanability. The stuff is only 29 bucks for about a quart, however, so maybe worth a try.

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gm dealers carbon cleaner

gm top engine cleaner 1050002

merc power tune vs gm top engine