1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best cleaning products for a trap barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I need advice on the beat cleaning products for cleaning your trap barrel (choke tubes included.) I'm not the most religious about this, as some are, in cleaning it after every shoot. When I do clean it, it's many, many times down the barrel with the brass brush soaked in Hoppe's. Any suggestions on what is the best product to use for that Solo 1000 powder residue. Enjoy the weather and shoot well!

Mike

2. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Clensoil! There's nothing better for my money.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I try to clean my trap gun every 3-5000 rounds.

I use something called BUL Juice that a buddy of mine makes to coat the barrel after cleaning and it seems to work for me. Very little plastic build up even after 3000 rounds, but I do not use Claybuster wads.

I do not see much difference between any of the commercial solvents so when I run out I am going to make some Ed's Red. It sounds like it has good ingredients and the price is right.

Although I mostly shoot Promo powder, and it is supposed to be "dirty", it works OK in my gun.

I learned that bore cleaning was kind of a waste of time for pistols and shotguns if you use good components. Certainly not necessary after every use.

Don Verna

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

The absolute best is a bore brush with stainless steel "brillo pad" added. Bob Schultz sells this kit and calls it "Plasti-Grabber" and it really works - you will not believe how quick you can clean your shotgun with it. There is no need for any cleaner solutions and chemicals -- the beav

5. Erik W

Erik W Member

I'd really suggest less agressive and more frequent cleanings.

6. wolfk80

wolfk80 TS Member

Tico tool after shooting, CLP once a month if that often.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Use the Bore Tech bronze tornado brush with WD40. A few passes and the bore is completely clean.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have found that running a bore snake through the barrel a couple times, immediately after shooting, followed by a "very lightly" oiled Tico cleaner keeps my barrels in excellent shape. NOTHING STAINLESS will ever go down my barrels... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Anyone use a product called "Gunzilla"

A friend gave me a bit to try. He said it was developed for the military.

What he gave me worked very well, and I was impressed with the way it coated the metal. I can take a gun that I have cleaned several days earlier, and it still looks great. No streaking, no residue. So far, I like it!

Danny

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I agree with Bill. Clenzoil is pretty hard to beat.

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

BVR Tail,

I use and sell Gunzilla. It is very good! I like Ballistol Lube also. I have them both in my web-store on website. Click the link above.

Matt Woodson

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Gunzilla smells good, I'll give it that. They also have a slick ad campaign and make a lot of claims that can't be proven. Just because a product was developed for the military doesn't mean it's used by the military. Frankly, I think it over-priced and found it to be over-rated as a cleaner compared to other less expensive alternatives.

Make your own cleaner. Mix up a batch of <I>Ed's Red Bore Cleaner</i>. You can even leave out the acetone if you have to work in an unventilated area. It's not as quick without acetone but it still works and it also leaves behind a respectable lube anti-rust coating on the metal.

MK

13. JTEA

JTEA Member

Hoppe's for typical cleaning. Shooter's choice about once every 5 weeks to clean plastic.

Ballistol is good, used by HK on theor gun benches. Some use Kroil to remove plastic. Some use 0000 steel wool wrapped around an old copper brush a few times a year, good with Shooters Choice.

JT

14. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have used about everything under the sun at one time or the other and there is a lot of “good stuff” available –
    There are as many ways to clean a barrel as Carter has little liver pills _ _ and they probably all serve their purpose.
    I have used Ed’s Red – works well.
    I like a mixture of Kroil + Shooters Choice – use it in rifle barrels too, have since I used to shoot NRA high power years ago.

For a quick clean I like to spray Quick Silver Engine Cleaner ( I think it is called Power Tune now – can get it at most boat dealers and boat shops). It has a foaming action – dissolves carbon and powder residue and melts plastic.
    Stand the barrel on end and let it sit for a little bit - then hit the barrel with a brush – then dry it out – clean out the oil residue with Gun Scrubber on couple of patches –
    Then – I treat the barrel with EEZOX. Let the Eezox stay in there – I dry the chamber with dry patches before shooting.
    The Eezox prevents rusting and REALLY reduces plastic buildup.

I have also found that if you will treat the outside metal of your gun (preferable – free of other oils and while gun is warm/hot from shooting) with Eezox and let it stay for a while (dry or close to dry) before wiping off excess - it really reduces rust formation if you are a sweater………..

I don’t sell the stuff nor do I have stock in the company – I use it and it is good stuff- check it out at http://www.eezox.com/

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Perazzi says to NEVER use a steel brush in their barrels. I would presume that includes steel wool. I use a brass tornado style and old style brass brushes and Hoppes - they work just fine. I have a pickle jar full of GI bore cleaner and a rack that I made out of a coat hanger that fits it to clean choke tubes. They come out squeaky clean after about an hr. The GI bore cleaner would prolly have a CA State Police hazmat team at my door if they knew I had it

JMO of course

Charlie

16. brantman

brantman TS Member

glenzoil is without the best just cleaned a bowsite with it all grease and grime came off

17. blacklab

blacklab Member

I use M-Pro 7 and a bronze brush on a drill. Follow with lite oil.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, on my personal gun, I run a dry piece of cotton (old cut up sock) thru th ebore on the front end of a Tico tool and then I give the Tico tool about 6-8 rapid strokes and the heat/friction removes the residues, plastic incl. But if I get a gun in that is loaded with plaxtic, I put my 10 ga brass brush on an old rod and attach it to my drill and spary the bbl wiht Remoil liberally and that combinatio will take every thing out.

19. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I have used Shooter's Choice with good success for a very long time but use Gunzilla nowadays. It does a great job and it's a one step product (CLP).

20. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm going to look into some of the products mentioned. Thing is, you know how most of us love the smell of Fed paper hulls after firing? Just seems natural to me to use that smelly old Hoppes to clean up with too. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel trap cleaner

best shotgun barrel cleaner

clean barrel on a trapdoor

recomended cleaner for trap guns

tico barrel cleaner