1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best chokes for doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Wondering what to use

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Expect to get answers ranging from full & full to skeet & skeet, and every possible combination in between.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0.015" and 0.030". With 0.035" being considered "full".

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Depends on whether you're shooting a single barrel auto or and O/U. For an auto, I would shoot .030". For my O/U, I prefer .020" for the first shot and .032" for the second..... Just my preference... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Okay.....I'll go out on the limb and say I use I.C. (.010) and MOD (.020) with 7/8 oz of 9s for 1st shot and 1 oz of 8s for the 2nd. I like shooting them quick (2nd bird still rising) and this combo works well for me. Of course, I don't always work well !!!

AndyH ;-)

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

mod (.o20) and LF (.030)

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

My last set of barrels was done by Tom Wilkinson and were: .016 Bottom and .027 Top. The barrels I have now are .020 bottom and .030 top - factory Perazzi. They will be going to Mr. Wilkinson this winter. Not that there is anything wrong with .020 and .030, but I like Tom's work.

Matt Woodson

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, If Skeet is shot with skeet chokes and shot at 21 yards all day long with #9 shot. Then How come "The open choke will fail you" skeet chokes don't bother skeet shooters at the same distance??? They all can at least agree on the same choke.
    I say if your new to doubles then a IC and IM until get get some pratice and build up your quickness to the target. Then When your ready go to Skeet and Mod. Nuff-Said. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I'm using .020" & .030"

John C. Saubak

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pull and Mark, because the majority of skeet targets will be shot as crossers with less likely chance of a target getting through holes in the pattern. In trap they are going away on the first shot while also rising. Targets can and will actualy get through a pattern unscathed if to weak of choke is selected.

If starting out new or less experienced on doubles, I would say nothing less than .020 on first barrel and .030 on second. Single barrel would be .028 to .032.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

EE, In 38 years of shooting Skeet I never saw or talked to not one top shooter that used an IC choke and or the Skeet II choke. That choke was not even an option until removeable chokes had been out for awhile!!! Although I know a couple who will use a Cylinder choke when the money is on the line!!!
    Pheasantmaster, A 12 ga. shotgun has a optimum pattern size of 30 inchs. With a l & l/8 oz load no target will get through. If you pattern your gun you may find a small opening in the outer ring only ( divide pattern into 3 rings 10,20,30 inch) that a target may get by on a small percent of your test patterns. But you have to remember that the clay target is moveing while going through it, the target is not stopped while the target flys on by. So looking one dimentionally it appears there may be a hole, but a target moving in the pattern will be broken. I have seen master class Sporting Clay shooters with more national wins than I even know, discuss which choke to use on a 50 yard outgoing left to right target. They were talking about a IC, or a Light Mod. choke. The one owned the club and could set the hardest targerts I ever saw. He has the ability to set a target so that you think the lead is X # of feet, but in reality it was double that by useing different size targets and angles that were hard to pick-up on. My point is If your on the target your on the target, Chokes are not as important as one might think. In inner 2 rings stay intact in the pattern for a longer distance than you might think, while the outer ring breaks up first. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

12. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Is this a Skeet question or a trap shooting question.
    I am a trap shooter and for doubles 1st shot is with 1oz 8's light mod choke.
    Second shot 1 1/8 8s Mod choke. I spot shoot my first bird and catch the second rising. If I keep myself into the gun and do my part on the second bird
    they are usally smoked pigeon.

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Timb99 is correct that asking something like that here will get you a lot of varied answers and probably won't help you much. You would be better served to discuss your needs with someone like Stu Wright, Tom Wilkinson, Briley Mfg, or others that specialize in barrel work.

Good luck!

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pull and Mark, Iam astonished by your post to me above. Evidently you haven't been on here in times past or don't know who Iam, and darn sure don't know of my life with respect to your statement above. Your statement of the mystical effective 30" pattern refference above tells me alot about you however. Believe me my son if your warm and fusy with the illusion that you have 30" of effective pattern which vertually contain no possible avenues of target excape, then by all means enjoy the sensation....

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Trap targets can indeed fly through the center of a loose pattern even at singles distances. I actually saw this happen with photographic evidence with a guy shooting an SKB with about 0.018" of choke (the tube was marked MOD) and 1 1/8 Oz #8s. Okay so maybe that is a rarity (at least catching it on video) but I don't think there is a load/choke combo that provides anywhere near 30" of effective pattern. When you are smoking the targets your pattern is more like +/- 1/2 foot of being centered.

That is why I have settled on mod/Imod for my double set up. Both birds get smoked (at least 95% of the time). I have tried more open chokes and my scores go down significantly. This maybe not because birds are flying through the pattern but because I get sloppy from the lack of feedback about whether or not I am not centering the targets.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin.... When ones mind is made up, as "pull and marks" seems to be, I have found it useless to try to confuse them even more with facts.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, it's my belief that you're working with an optimum of about 20" diameter of sure-kill effective pattern, that's 10" radius from center. IOW, if you're pointed more than about a foot off where you should be when the gun says "bang" you might get a golden BB break or you might get a plain ol' lead BB dusting or you might just get to watch the target fly away.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best choke combo for doubles
best chokes for 27 yard doubles trap
chokes for doubles trap

chokes for trap doubles

recommended chokes for shooting doubles trap
what choke for doubles in skeet
what chokes for double rise